sansa drinks ale now?

In medieval times, almost everyone drank ale, even children. It was actually safer and healthier than the dirty water that was available. Brewing ale involved boiling the water, which killed the harmful bacteria in the water, though people of the time obviously didn't know this. Germ theory was still several centuries away.

Edited by hugh57

Really love how Sam sassed Janos Slynt, and everyone's reactions to his speech (Maester Aemon's smirk is priceless)

Arya and Brienne's arcs are okay, I guess. Hopefully the show will add more excitement to their scenes. Not much in King's Landing, which is a shame because for the past seasons they're often the best.

Jon/Stannis/Wall arc continues to slay this season. They replaced the king's landing spot for the top arc to watch out for.

Really felt sorry for Dany and the slave she executed. The last scene conveyed well her sense of being alone, when even Drogon abandoned her.

Really love how Sam sassed Janos Slynt, and everyone's reactions to his speech (Maester Aemon's smirk is priceless)

Arya and Brienne's arcs are okay, I guess. Hopefully the show will add more excitement to their scenes. Not much in King's Landing, which is a shame because for the past seasons they're often the best.

Jon/Stannis/Wall arc continues to slay this season. They replaced the king's landing spot for the top arc to watch out for.

Really felt sorry for Dany and the slave she executed. The last scene conveyed well her sense of being alone, when even Drogon abandoned her.

IMO the best performance in the election scene was Thorne; they keep giving him hidden depths. Shallower character would have argued with Sam's points about Jon, but he conceded them and moved onto safer territory. A lot of characters have lost depth in the show, but Thorne is a rare exception.

well considering Mormont never had a raven on the show it would have made no sense to include it now.

I can see it now...

"What the hell is that bird doing in here???"

"Kill it!"

IMO the best performance in the election scene was Thorne; they keep giving him hidden depths. Shallower character would have argued with Sam's points about Jon, but he conceded them and moved onto safer territory. A lot of characters have lost depth in the show, but Thorne is a rare exception.

It's true, I was glad to see him concede the point to Sam, his objection to Jon seemed more fitting then just saying he is a bastard. Though he had to concede those points as everyone knows Jon did those things.

The more flexible less demanding Stannis has been a nice switch for him, hope it lasts at lleast for a bit.

I saw your comment on the Shireen scene though, I think the entire point of it is to get her on stage, because the foreshadowing is pretty dark for her in those scenes and not Disney dark, like this is going to end really badly dark.

Is it just me or did Stokeworth look nicer than Winterfell?

Of course it looks nice her, it's beach front property the north is dark, gloomy, grey and snws in the summer. The Long shot of Winterfell Makes it look about the Same size ass Stokeworth maybe a bit Smaller. But yeah it's way nicer it's got far better location. Just like the Water Gardens are way nicer.

Also in the books, rightly so, everyone was affected by Oberyns Death in the books, even Arianne. Why is Trystane just walking about with Myrcella being all cutesy with her? Did he not love Oberyn?

Maybe Trystane reasonably believes that Myrcella had nothing to do with Oberyn's death? Since she was in Dorne when it happened? Since Oberyn died in a trial by combat, so it wasn't murder? Also, he's a young man and Myrcella is young and cute.

I got it, Ellaria makes total sense now. The house of Black and White is introduced in this episode, Ellaria is not actually Ellaria she is Darkstar who is a secret faceless man who also happened to be in love with Oberyn. When Oberyn was killed he blamed Ellaria klled her and took her face. Because that is the only way to explain Ellaria wanting to kill a child who had nothing to do with Oberyn's death. Yes lets blame Myrcella, its her fault Oberyn is dead. She is a he and he is of the night and likes trying to kill children.

Edited by Ser Creighton

I reeaaallllyyyyy wanted to like Doran, but I was having a hard time getting past how awful I thought Ellaria was. And that's not even because they've transplanted some of Arianne/Sand Snakes personalities onto her. I just thought the direction of her character was way too over the top.

I find myself caring less and less about King's Landing with each episode. And Jaime.

I ended up liking the scene with Sansa and Brienne a little more than I thought I would. Littlefinger is such a sly wordsmith. And I wonder if Pod ended up grabbing one of those dead knight's swords. Seems kind of silly he wouldn't have one himself.

The strongest parts of the episode were The Wall and Meereen to me.

It kind of felt like the Lord Commander election and the offer for Winterfell were way too rushed, but what we got was good. I cheered out loud when they read Lyanna Mormont's letter. I love that Stannis is genuinely offended by a ten year old.

I also thought Emilia was very strong in this episode. The scene with Drogon was absolutely stunning. The CGI for the dragons blows my mind every time I see it.

Shireen continuing to fight the most noble war in Westeros the war against illiteracy, I don't understand why Sam and Jon didnt mention the fact they know Bran is alive and the legit heir to Winterfell that just stank for me to be honest. The round table committee in Esos was stupid but the execution scene was good, Drogon looked great

Sam told Jon about Bran last season and even led a party to Craster's Keep in hopes of finding him. He didn't. What is Jon supposed to say? "I heard that he is alive but never found him"? As far as Jon knows Bran might be dead. Bran went north of the Wall, I wound't blame Jon for thinking that his brother croaked.

Did i miss something in t he sansa/brienne scene. Cause i don't really understand what led to her fighting.

Overall decent episode though. I liked Doran.

Littlefinger suggested that Brienne stay because it is dangerous alone on the road. Clearly he wanted her killed. Brienne realized this too and wasn't going to cooperate.

I was hoping to see Quaithe at the end of this episode. Is she coming back on the show? I thought her appearances in ADWD were nice and spooky

I am positive that we will never see Quaithe again.

Book plots thrown out the window en-force this week. Very strange episode from my perspective.

Do you just watch the show to compare it to the books? Seems like a waste.

Selyse's "You have no idea what people will do" had a particularly ominous ring to it with all the speculation about Shireen getting burned this season.

Weird that Stannis pronounced Lyanna Mormont's name as "Lye-anna" as opposed to "Leanna."

People pronounce words differently within the same country all the time. Not sure how that is weird.

Again, does trauma get your brain transplanted? We are talking here about 2 completely different characters. Plus, do you remember her being there when Oberyn says they don't hurt little girls in Dorne?

You're right, I don't remember Ellaria being there when Oberyn tells Cersei that they don't hurt little girls in Dorne. I probably don't remember that because she wasn't there. Oberyn was writing a poem, walked with Cersei, mentioned the Sand Snakes during his walk. Is the scene coming back to you now, because you clearly don't remember the scene that you are talking about. Or did you get a transplant?

...while she watched on in horror, as well.

And what was she like "last season"? When did she espouse any non-violent policies? You can't say "Well, Oberyn said this"...because she's NOT Oberyn and there's no reason to hold her to his words.

Basically, she was Oberyn's arm candy last season...who looked on as he so nonchalantly stabbed a man in the wrist for singing the Lannister song and then started passionately kissing him afterwards. So yeah, I don't see any contradictions in her character AS PRESENTED in the show.

Thank you!

Well, the mere fact that Oberyn said what he said is important. Because, when you are avenging the person, you kinda don't want to prove that whatever he said is a BS. The contradiction is that Ellaria this season is so different from those moments we had about her. Even the aesthetics is hilariously serving to this. Ellaria was the one who tried to calm down Oberyn when he heard Rains, and let him harm them after they insulted both of them. This new Ellaria makes no sense to narrative. Which is why you don't fuse multiple characters without actually thinking it through. I guess this season we won't be hearing complaints about show being ignored by any sensible critic.

Yes, Ellaria tried to calm Oberyn down...back when he had eyes and a head to put them in. If we as book readers are to accept that Cat can release Jaime and send Brienne on a ridiculous mission to King's Landing to get her daughters back, how is it difficult to believe that Ellaria will be angry after her lover's death?

Not sure how to reconcile that Brianne dismissed looking for Arya because she declined her help then shifts to following Sansa further North to protect her for her own good. Pod was still charmingly useful and incompetent in the same episode.

Arya abandoned her with no trail, while Brienne has something to follow for Sansa. Also, for the people who ask why Brienne didn't bring up her meeting with Arya to Sansa: What could she have said that would have convinced Sansa of her meeting? Nothing.

Not sure how to reconcile that Brianne dismissed looking for Arya because she declined her help then shifts to following Sansa further North to protect her for her own good. Pod was still charmingly useful and incompetent in the same episode.

Arya was a free agent. Sansa was under LF control and he then tried to kill her.

Show Ellaria isn't after vengeance on the child, she wants to make war inevitable and mutilating Myrcella is a means to that end. At this point there are a few ways they can take the plot. Its the start of the war of three queens...