[Book Spoilers] Brienne and Pod

I think we all understood that Brienne and Pod's story arc was going to take an entirely different path in the show vs. in the book.

However, now show Brienne has encountered and been effectively denied by both Stark girls, therefore not really having any motivation to go on.

"The House of Black and White" left us with Brienne seemingly deciding to follow Sansa and LF wherever they are going (presumably Winterfell) so that she can protect her from a distance. That being said, I am curious about how you all think this will play out. How will this effect the Sansa/Ramsay story line?

My hope is that there is a final confrontation between Brienne and Ramsay in which one (or both) does not survive. I can also see Brienne and Pod sneaking into WF and potentially hiding out in the Crypts, thus allowing Brienne to act as a surrogate for the "hooded man."

Either way I genuinely hope that we get more than just walking around from this duo in Season 5.

The only hint I see is when Pod asked Brienne if she believes Sansa is safe with Baelish, to which she replies she doesn't. Leads me to think Brienne hasn't given up on Sansa.

Other way around Pod said no.

Brienne and Pod were somewhere snowy in the trailers.

They're completely revamping the conflict at Winterfell. Mance is dead. They didn't cast the northern lords - the Manderlys, Dustin, Umbers, Karstarks, and leaders of the northern clans. Fat Walda seems to be the only Frey in the North at this point.

So whatever happens at Winterfell will probably happen between Roose, Ramsay, Theon, Fat Walda, Myranda, Sansa, Littlefinger, Brienne, Pod, Stannis, Davos, Melissandre?, Yara, and a few new minor roles: a young female servant at Winterfell, one of Stannis' generals, and 2 Bolton soldiers. Maybe some of the new minor wildling roles will have something to do with Winterfell, though the well-researched casting thread says they're all related to stuff beyond the Wall.

They're replacing the story of Northern loyalties and Frey pies with something very different. At one level, it is crummy to lose my favorite part of book 5. But the Manderly plot from book 5 probably would have demanded more screen time than Winterfell was going to receive. If this Winterfell arc has good material for Stannis, Sansa, Brienne, and Yara and doesn't end on a frustrating cliffhanger, I'll be fine with it. (I feel like Theon and the Boltons were always guaranteed good material for this season, but the aforementioned characters ran the risk of a pretty terrible season.)

I wonder if they will meet up with the BWB or will D&D save them for next season when they eventually have to deal with all of the Freys in the Riverlands.

I can see that. If Brienne and Pod take over the story arc of saving Sansa and one of the two (probably Pod but I can see it going either way) die in the escape. Sansa and the living member of the duo then meet up with the BWB and Sansa is able to take over the arc of LSH (assuming she is actually not in the show, though I'm holding out hope that she is).

Most of these ideas make a lot of sense to me, but do you think they will just cut out Stannis's battle for Winterfell? I'd really miss this story as well. If there are no Bolton, Frey, Manderly hosts, then who would Stannis's fight?

Most of these ideas make a lot of sense to me, but do you think they will just cut out Stannis's battle for Winterfell? I'd really miss this story as well. If there are no Bolton, Frey, Manderly hosts, then who would Stannis's fight?

It will happen but it may be off screen. Stannis already said he's going to attack Bolton. Bolton has his own army, we saw them marching for WF at the close of last season. So, I guess it will just be Stanns v. Roose.

If the Riverlands ever re appear in the show, it will be far down the road plotwise.

And if brienne is following sansa to north she may be our point of introduction with other northern lords and common folk and their loyalty with starks along the way the same way she introduced us to people of cracklow point in books and their loyalty with dragon, i dont know if they have been cast or not.

Brienne and Pod duo is more boring than in the books (arguably the most tedious part of the whole book series), fight with the Hound aside. I don't know how they've managed that. Some fighting and "character reunions" don't make it automatically "interesting".

Hitching their story to Sansa and possibly Stannis makes it far more interesting. I look forward to what she can do. Also, regarding the Bear and the Maiden Fair, her history with Roose Bolton will be something to watch. Pod is likeable and I hope he can do some good.

Brienne and Pod duo is more boring than in the books (arguably the most tedious part of the whole book series), fight with the Hound aside. I don't know how they've managed that. Some fighting and "character reunions" don't make it automatically "interesting".

Brienne/Pod scenes have made me laugh. I enjoy them, but I'd really like to see them accomplish something.

Hitching their story to Sansa and possibly Stannis makes it far more interesting. I look forward to what she can do. Also, regarding the Bear and the Maiden Fair, her history with Roose Bolton will be something to watch. Pod is likeable and I hope he can do some good.

:agree:

I had somehow forgotten about the Roose - Brienne connection and now that you've reminded me of it, I'm kind of excited to see if she'll have any sort of vengeance. Though it seems more likely they'll play up her beef with Stannis, this would be another great matchup.

Pod is love.

Archived