Arya's List

It's getting pretty short. Cersei, the Mountain, Meryn Trant, Walden Frey. How does she know Tywin is dead, but presume the Mountain to be alive? Where's Ilyn Payne? You'd think the guy who took hey father's head in front of her would be a mainstay.

At this point there's just too many little mistakes and continuity problems throughout the show. She also had Beric and Thoros on that list for a while but those actors aren't in the show now so why bother. The show is just getting lazier the more popular it gets. Pretty sure we'll have hashtags come up on the screen before the end. #khaleesivslittlefinger #dragonsvsdirewolves

Calling it now.

I think it's purely to simplify it for the tv audience. They haven't seen Illyn Payne since season 2. It's great news that the actor who played him has recovered from his illness but the character is still gone from the show and I doubt he'll be back.

Was Tywin ever on the list?

If Arya listed off too many characters the audience would listen to the first three and then hear blah blah blah...

With four names they can easily follow them. I can see Arya getting to Trant or Frey at some stage.

It's getting pretty short. Cersei, the Mountain, Meryn Trant, Walden Frey. How does she know Tywin is dead, but presume the Mountain to be alive? Where's Ilyn Payne? You'd think the guy who took hey father's head in front of her would be a mainstay.

Where is Mel for that matter?Since they kinda foreshadowed their future meeting,as well as Arya's future as an assassin.

I think it's purely to simplify it for the tv audience. They haven't seen Illyn Payne since season 2. It's great news that the actor who played him has recovered from his illness but the character is still gone from the show and I doubt he'll be back.

If Arya listed off too many characters the audience would listen to the first three and then hear blah blah blah...

With four names they can easily follow them. I can see Arya getting to Trant or Frey at some stage.

The names changed. It's a continuity error. She used to have Illyn Payne, Thoros and Beric on her list. That's another 3 seconds to keep it straight. It doesn't matter what happened to the actor since it's unlikely she's going to kill everyone on her list, the point is, keep the list the same. It's not that hard.

She left off for Braavos at a point near the Eyrie. And I think a ship doesn't go directly to Braavos - because you have to take on food and stuff.

And Tywin is a man known throughout the 7K. So I guess she may have heard him being dead in some harbor.

Yes, Tywin was on her list.

I can't remember from the books seems she keeps listing people who are dead even tho by Dance it would be know , in general, that Joffrey and Tywin are not alive.

She does repeat her prayer while in the House of Black and White (something she was not supposed to do) but seems to obsess less about it, in the book.

By the by in Dance she takes The Hound off the list after she leaves him in his ambiguous state, his 'death' still a mystery.

In this case she seems to delete him not because he is 'dead' , she actually puzzles over taking him off.

She might have decided to "pardon" Thoros, Beric, and Melissandre during the season break. She hasn't seen them kill anybody, and those three characters are honestly doing the best they know to do. Maybe since abandoning Sandor, Arya views the world more in shades of grey. Or maybe she realized that she probably doesn't want to kill Thoros and the others any more than she wanted to kill Sandor when it came down to it. Or maybe she saw Gendry during voyage and since he's not dead, those three were pardoned.

I mean, sure, the names were dropped because the list was referring to too many things from a long time ago, and the script wanted to put more emphasis on Trant. But if we're going to be all obsessive about it, Arya coulda pardoned them.

The list changes in the books and the limiting it to four names seems to me to suggest she is picking her fights and concentrating on the worst of the worst.

Tywin's death would certainly be known because Cersei has offered a lordship to anyone who brings Tyrion's head. Tywin is the hand of the king, slain by his own son, the most infamous crime in Westeros. That news will spread far wider than any other.

The Mountain's death would not be widely known for the simple reason that he was alive when he was taken to Pycelle's quarters and nobody apart from Cersei and Qyburn know what happened to him after that.

Payne might be off the list for the same reason she took the hound off: He was following his duty as he saw it. The blame for his actions lay at the top: Cersei, Joffrey, Tywin. And as for the red God trio, she might be waiting to find out what happened to Gendry before plugging any of them.

The show does rather better with continuity than most here seem to think.

She might have decided to "pardon" Thoros, Beric, and Melissandre during the season break. She hasn't seen them kill anybody, and those three characters are honestly doing the best they know to do. Maybe since abandoning Sandor, Arya views the world more in shades of grey. Or maybe she realized that she probably doesn't want to kill Thoros and the others any more than she wanted to kill Sandor when it came down to it. Or maybe she saw Gendry during voyage and since he's not dead, those three were pardoned.

I mean, sure, the names were dropped because the list was referring to too many things from a long time ago, and the script wanted to put more emphasis on Trant. But if we're going to be all obsessive about it, Arya coulda pardoned them.

I doubt we can interpret that without any scene showing her deciding to cut her list short. This is a character who survives life through determination and dedication. When Yoren told her that story, she dedicated herself to following this method. Cutting her list short now just looks half-arsed.

It's clearly for the "benefit" of HBO's simple-minded audience.

If they can afford to have each Monarch's titles read out when they are being addressed, they can afford to keep Arya's list intact.

The inconsistencies in the list bother me, too. Melisandre was on it at one point. I've never minded them expanding it, but I wish they'd keep track of it.

It's not a huge deal, but it's nice to know the writers care enough about the story to keep the list consistent if they're going to feature it so often.

Archived