Arya's List

There is no way Arya could know about Tywin being dead. Episode 2 begins with the ship arriving in Braavos, and the ship doesn't stop anywhere as you can see in The Children.

No reason other ships from elsewhere might have picked up the news, seems she would find out sooner or later.

Time scales are not always dealt with in an ordinary manner on the show or in the books.

I wondered at the brevity of her list by now, too, but tbh, it was too long for me to keep up with well when I read the books, I raced through them so quickly to see what happened next. I have noticed in the latter episodes from Season 4 that she and Sandor were running into more of the names she had on her list, not necessarily the same order as the books.

I have yet to understand why TV introduced that long "admission process" before she finally got into HBW, but if they intended it to be some sort of 'test' for her, I guess the point was that she stayed there through the dark and the rain, turning the coin around and around and muttering those 4 names for lo those many hours. This is coming out really sarcastic, but I guess I just found it so frustrating to finally get to HBW and not have anything more happen, really, in Arya's storyline. Normally I'm able to cut D&D more slack than that. :ohwell:

I have yet to understand why TV introduced that long "admission process" before she finally got into HBW, but if they intended it to be some sort of 'test' for her, I guess the point was that she stayed there through the dark and the rain, turning the coin around and around and muttering those 4 names for lo those many hours. This is coming out really sarcastic, but I guess I just found it so frustrating to finally get to HBW and not have anything more happen, really, in Arya's storyline. Normally I'm able to cut D&D more slack than that. :ohwell:

Tom Wlaschiha said that is was a 'test'. I found it a little strained too and off handedly structured. In the book the door or doors to the HoBaW were open all the time anyone could wander in some on biz ,so to speak, (I mean the 'hit biz was would be something else), some for kind of 'counseling'. As I remember from the book there were worshipers who could ask for 'instruction'. And there were 'worshipers' who would use the black cup. Apparently some came and went. Some really STAYED! Impression was anyone could come and visit, tho not any tourists are mentioned.

The show's House of Black and White is monolithly impressively taller than the book tho seemingly with the same footprint. Impression I had from the book the doors were a big as those at Saint Peter's Basilica these didn't seem all that big.

The whole HBW thing bothered me as well.

She saves Jaqen from burning alive. In thanks he gives her a Braavosi coin and says "If you ever need me..."

Then she arrives at his doorstep (literally) and he tells her to get lost? Braavos is full of danger for a young girl, especially one with no friends and no knowledge of the city...

Are we supposed to assume that Jaqen (or nobody, as it were) is keeping an eye on her 24/7?

I always thought it was a bit strange....

The Hound was on the list, but both in the books and the series, she passes up an opportunity to finish him off :unsure:

In SoS she puzzles over that after she leaves the hound.

Tom Wlaschiha said that is was a 'test'. I found it a little strained too and off handedly structured. In the book the door or doors to the HoBaW were open all the time anyone could wander in some on biz ,so to speak, (I mean the 'hit biz was would be something else), some for kind of 'counseling'. As I remember from the book there were worshipers who could ask for 'instruction'. And there were 'worshipers' who would use the black cup. Apparently some came and went. Some really STAYED! Impression was anyone could come and visit, tho not any tourists are mentioned.

The show's House of Black and White is monolithly impressively taller than the book tho seemingly with the same footprint. Impression I had from the book the doors were a big as those at Saint Peter's Basilica these didn't seem all that big.

I thought they were acting out a scene from Fight Club. Only, Arya Durden was supposed to stay on the patio for days pissing and starving herself. Arya can be stubborn, but obviously she's not that silly.

So what was the test? To see if she'll eventually piss off? How is that useful?

• 2 weeks later...

I think it's purely to simplify it for the tv audience. They haven't seen Illyn Payne since season 2. It's great news that the actor who played him has recovered from his illness but the character is still gone from the show and I doubt he'll be back.

Was Tywin ever on the list?

If Arya listed off too many characters the audience would listen to the first three and then hear blah blah blah...

With four names they can easily follow them. I can see Arya getting to Trant or Frey at some stage.

yes here is a link to the wiki where the book list is..well, listed

and for shits and giggles here is a show list.

as others have stated the list is fluid in the books and on the show. cutting it down for this season leads me to speculate that at least one or more shall die this season...

She is going to kill trant he is on his way to Braavos

tsk tsk always remember to speculate, guess, suppose or desire...unless you want the wild dropbears to attack...

and yes it was obvious to many (after legally watching epi #4) that d&d sending trant to braavos was a double sided plot device, in my opinion. first, i am guessing that cersei sent him to kill tyrell on the return voyage...second i speculate that having trant in braavos gives arya an opportunity to either kill trant or truly put her revenge away, or at least make it secondary to her goal to become a faceless man.

a man must wonder why no-one would care about arya stark's revenge...

I always thought it was a bit strange....

The Hound was on the list, but both in the books and the series, she passes up an opportunity to finish him off

i believe she removed him from lists because she began to understand and even bond with him, however when given the chance to give him mercy she refuses because she doesn't believe he deserves it...

as a plot device i dig it because it means my favorite character might in fact be alive....digging graves perhaps.....

of course as always, these are just the rambling opinions of this salty old asshole...feel free to disagree...

:smoking:

Archived