Dexter

Brude

Just watched Episode 1 on InDemand. It's was VERY good pilot, I was most impressed. Showtime really is working very hard to at least equal, if not surpass HBO for putting some of the best show on TV on the air. I'm a huge fan of both "Weeds" and "Sleeper Cell" (can't wait until season 2 of that one starts). The production values on all of these shows are incredible and they find some great actors (they've been cherrypicking from HBO a lot: both Mary-Louise Parker and Justin Kirk from "Angels in America" are both in "Weeds," Michael C. Hall from "Six Feet Under" and Lauren Velez from "Oz" are both in "Dexter," but so what! These are great actors, all of them and it's a joy to watch them do their thing.

Oh, and the show has James Remar who is one of those great unsung actors who nobody seems to remember - works contstantly, has had some very memorable roles but somehow doesn't get remembered. Maybe he disappears TOO much into his roles and people don't remember him as a performer; maybe he's too good for his own good? He played Ganz in "48 Hrs.," one of the great villain roles of the 1980's and was also incredible as Dutch Schultz in "The Cotton Club."

Haven't seen much of Weeds or Sleeper Cell, though, both are pretty decent from what I've seen. It agree with you though, those shows along with Dexter and Brotherhood; Showtime is starting to become relevant.

This show is becoming one of the better shows on television. It's very well done, the direction and the writing are very stylized and unique. The narration, the bits of dark humor, it all works. I agree with you on Remar, love the stuff he's doing. Goes without saying, but Michael C. Hall is owning his part and Julie Benz, who I'd only really seen as Darla, is doing some really interesting work too. It's a fascinating show. There are some things I don't really care for, but it's character stuff, so I'll give the show some time before I start nitpicking. Probably going to check out the books, too.

Heard it's doing pretty well in the ratings by Showtime's standards (1,000,000+), so, it's good not to have to worry about it getting picked up for another season.

Just checked out the summary for Dexter on TV.com and it sounds very interesting. So much so that I've requested the novel its based on from the local library (Darkly Dreaming Dexter by Jeff Lindsay). I hope the TV series is as dark as the book summary suggests for the novel.

SPOILER: summary
I like the idea of the protaganist not needing to "get into the mindset of a serial killer" in order to track one because he himself is a serial killer.

As for James Remar, always been a fan of his work. Last watched him in 18 Wheels of Justice as a likeable villan. As noted earlier his Ganz character in 48Hrs was great. But I remember him most as Ajax in The Warriors.

Out of sheer curiosity, and lack of options, I watched the first two episodes of Dexter. Sorry, but I'm not impressed. The main issue for me is that Dexter is simply too much of a creepy muthafucka to like. I dont like his "sister" or gf much either. The other cops are pretty much cutout characters, and the plot so far is edging out in the preposterous zone.

The serial killer who somehow knows the forensic technician is also a serial killer plotline. Gimmie a break. Unless the killer is also a cop, How would he know Dexter exist ? And how would he know he's a serial killer too ?

Add into this mix the freaky voice over by Michael C Hall, and to me, this is a show you can keep.

I admire Showtime for having the guts to go with shows no one else will attempt. I loved Sleeper Cell and am looking forward to season 2, Weeds remains my favorite comedy. But Dexter is a big miss in my book

• 4 weeks later...

Digging this up to see if anyone is still watching this series. I see the reviews on TV.com rate it higher than Jericho.

I read the book it's based on and the premise is about the only thing novel about it. The female characters are stereotype and cardboard. Rather a sexist take by the author in this regard. Hard to like the main character - should we ever get to the stage where we like serial killers, even if they only kill other serial killers? I don't think we should & I think this is the main downfall of basing a TV series on such a premise because although you may root for the demise of your every-day serial killer. To allow another serial killer to get away with killings outside of the justice system normal poeple live their lives by is disconcerting.

For those who have kept up with the series (haven't seen it myself but may eventually), is it a one-seasoner or do you see the axe falling on it?

The serial killer who somehow knows the forensic technician is also a serial killer plotline. Gimmie a break. Unless the killer is also a cop, How would he know Dexter exist ? And how would he know he's a serial killer too ?

Add into this mix the freaky voice over by Michael C Hall, and to me, this is a show you can keep.

I admire Showtime for having the guts to go with shows no one else will attempt. I loved Sleeper Cell and am looking forward to season 2, Weeds remains my favorite comedy. But Dexter is a big miss in my book

The book actually details who the other guy is (as a finale) and the explaination is not as lame as you'd expect. It's plausable.

Love Weeds too.

• 1 month later...

I just watched the first 4 episodes of this show and I absolutely loved it. The reviews made it out to be too dark and disturbing and from time to time, it really is. But there's plenty of humor in how Dexter reacts to things and in the supposting cast. I loved the way they shot it and used music. I loved pretty much all the actors.

I'm a bit preplexed about the abilities about the ice-truck killer. He seems to know way too much about Dexter, so if they cannot explain it satisfactorily in the end, it will be a major bummer. But I'm being cautiously optimistic since they seem to do a great job so far.

I found Dexter's smarmy back-patting to be a bit over the top. Galling, really.

"Oh, oh, just look at how wonderfully disturbed I am!"

"Aren't I just the most depraved serial killer you could ever imagine!?!"

"Bad, me! Bad!"

:rolleyes:

hmm.

i havent seen dexter yet but i think i shall. Weeds is damn funny. I dont get all the Sleeper Cell love tho. I saw the first two episodes and couldnt stop rolling my eyes. Can someone tell me if it gets better?

hmm.

i havent seen dexter yet but i think i shall. Weeds is damn funny. I dont get all the Sleeper Cell love tho. I saw the first two episodes and couldnt stop rolling my eyes. Can someone tell me if it gets better?

I watched the entire first season Relic, and enjoyed it. Its kinda hokey, all about post 9/11 love, America is great and the Islamist are stalking us, ready to do untold harm at a moments notice, so i can see your eyes rolling so far back in your head they gey stuck. LOL

I just turned off my brain for awhile and got into Darwin's adventures. I'll watch the 2nd season too. dude is a Kick ass hero.

I gave up on Dexter tho. I might catch up with it via On Demand, but its just too freaking creepy and i've grown to hate the main character.

Hey !ilike the series..Especiallyt since it's bace on miami and all..It's creepy to think maybe there are so many serisl killers down here..lol..Nervous laughter....

Dexter might be weird and creepy but he grows on you..and with all that he's been threw it's not strange his a serial killer any ways...I'm ooking foward till next episode..whc is tonight ain't it?

The three episodes leading up to tonights were really excellent, the best of the series so far, I think. Tonights, I don't know, I think it maybe wasn't as good but by now I'm totally along for the ride so I really can't tell if the quality is still up or if I'm just too sucked in. On the balance it's a good show, not a great one.

I think Weeds is the best written show on TV now - BSG is too up and down - some weeks its great, others less so. Weeds is consistantly brilliant in the writing and season 2 was better than season 1.

I think Sleeper Cell is a great series - well, season 1 was great, the first episode of season 2 was good, but it had a couple of flaws. A couple of moments of weaker writing that just wouldn't have happened in Season 1. We'll see, maybe it was just some rough patches in ep. 1, stuff to get the story moving along so that we can get into a more comfortable plot as the season progresses. We'll see, I'm worried they're getting a bit lazy.

Weeds is a great show.

I don't really get all the objections to Dexter's protagonist. Sure, he's creepy and essentially evil, but how is he any worse on the moral scale than, say, Tony Soprano? One doesn't have to share a character's sense of morality to enjoy watching them.

Essentially evil ? The dude is an out of control freak science experiment gone wrong. Is he worse than Tony Soprano ? hell yes! Tony is a monstor, yes. But at least one that is capable of feelings, overly capable as his blackouts demonstrate. He can love, on his terms only of course, but he can love. That Dexter creep cant feel anything. Walk across the street to spit on a person if they were on fire ? nooooo, he'd sit on the curb and intently watch the facial expressions change. Just to see. Dexter kills because he cant control the urge to do so. Like all serial killers. If the option of another serial murderer was removed, eventually his drive would lead him to murder the next availble person. He kills. thats what drives him. Tony, if he could get thru the day, month, year, without having to kill or hurt anyone, he would. Money drives him. Not murder.

I think the series would be more interesting if the story was told from the viewpoint of another person who slowly comes to realize what and who Dexter actually is. But the serial killer as hero genre is dead on arrival in my book.

without spoiling it for some.

I belive some of the people Dexter's killed are real assholes,who might even deserve it..I hate to say it that way ,because no one deserve such a fate .

.But I mean they are not good people,and one recently he didn't even kill ,

Just messed him up in a way that he couldn't hurt some one he cared about anylonger..

and he does feel..

Why else want to get this creep out of the way??..I believe Dexter, just doesn't let himself get attached ,Or he's so consumed with his own past that he neglects those around him.

but he does love his sister and is getting closer with his girl friend as well.

Archived