Blackwood>Bracken?

Skinner

Does anyone have a feeling that the Blackwoods have many more memorable and just overall portrayed in a more sympathetic light than the Brackens, at least in the World Book?

Here are some comparisons:

Benjicot Blackwood- A freaking eleven year old that competently led an army during the Dance of Dragons

No comparison

Melissa Blackwood- Aegon IV's mistress that birthed Bloodraven, loved by everyone at court, even the queen

vs.

Barba and Bethany Bracken- Sisters, both Aegon IV's mistresses, One was forcefully sent away from court, one was executed

And of course, even though they are only half...

Brynden "Bloodraven" Rivers- Badass spymaster, worked (like Varys) "for the good of the realm", sent to the wall and became Lord Commander, survived into ASOIAF

vs.

Aegor "Bittersteel" Rivers- An admittably great swordsman, rebel and traitor, never gave up

I just thought that the Blackwoods and Brackens were equally stupid for their feud, but it appears not.

Lothar Bracken, Barba Bracken who trained Bethany to become Aegon VI's mistress, Barba and Bethanys' father who made remarks about making Barba queen after Naerys' near death experience

vs

Alysanne Blackwood, Benjicot Blackwood, Betha Blackwood, Melissa Blackwood, Agnes Blackwood, Roderick Blackwood

Honestly the World book makes it seem like this is a one sided feud with the Blackwoods glowing majestically while the envious Brackens try pathetically to one up them.

I agree. It's clear that George's favourites are the Blackwoods. I've got no problem with this, but it would make for a more credible story that at least there was a period where the contemporary Brackens were more likeable than their Blackwood counterparts.

In ASOIAF proper it's the same. Lord Tytos valiantly lead the sortie from Riverrun, is the first Riverlord to swear allegiance to Robb, is the last one to desert him, and in the ADWD Jaime chapter he's protrayed much more favorably than Jonos.

Does anyone have a feeling that the Blackwoods have many more memorable and just overall portrayed in a more sympathetic light than the Brackens, at least in the World Book?

Here are some comparisons:

Benjicot Blackwood- A freaking eleven year old that competently led an army during the Dance of Dragons

No comparison

Melissa Blackwood- Aegon IV's mistress that birthed Bloodraven, loved by everyone at court, even the queen

vs.

Barba and Bethany Bracken- Sisters, both Aegon IV's mistresses, One was forcefully sent away from court, one was executed

And of course, even though they are only half...

Brynden "Bloodraven" Rivers- Badass spymaster, worked (like Varys) "for the good of the realm", sent to the wall and became Lord Commander, survived into ASOIAF

vs.

Aegor "Bittersteel" Rivers- An admittably great swordsman, rebel and traitor, never gave up

I just thought that the Blackwoods and Brackens were equally stupid for their feud, but it appears not.

I agree 100%. With this GRRM really went into a valley, even the Boltons and Freys are given a more sympathic write-up than the Brackens!

I agree 100%. With this GRRM really went into a valley, even the Boltons and Freys are given a more sympathic write-up than the Brackens!

Agree! The Frey dude during the Dance who had a gay wife was a nice guy, I guess. And Domeric Bolton was nice too.

We are yet to see a likeable or badass Bracken...

Remember, the World Book is not the impartial, unimpeachable truth. It had a pretty glowing account of House Lannister and Tywin in particular, I recall, and even mentioned the heroic boy king Joffrey, who was taken from the realm all too soon.

I suspect the truth about B&B is a lot more muddled.

Remember, the World Book is not the impartial, unimpeachable truth. It had a pretty glowing account of House Lannister and Tywin in particular, I recall, and even mentioned the heroic boy king Joffrey, who was taken from the realm all too soon.

I suspect the truth about B&B is a lot more muddled.

I hope we get more info on Bittersteel. In him vs. Bloodraven, I can see the Blackwood-Bracken feud carried out on a realm-wide level. Bittersteel at least seemed more honorable (that of course depends on if he actually thought Daemon B. was the true king) while Bloodraven was more cunning, the spymaster.

Unreliable narrator syndrome, we are led to believe Yandel has no family ties, but that does not mean his view hasn't been influenced by people around him who do have family ties.

Also worth noting we only see Blackwoods and Brackens when they are in influential positions, as two minor houses there are a lot of generations of both families we know nothing about.

Unreliable narrator syndrome, we are led to believe Yandel has no family ties, but that does not mean his view hasn't been influenced by people around him who do have family ties.

Also worth noting we only see Blackwoods and Brackens when they are in influential positions, as two minor houses there are a lot of generations of both families we know nothing about.

True, but they aren't notable enough to record. No one remembers the Frey that didn't attend the Red Wedding 😟

Remember, the World Book is not the impartial, unimpeachable truth.

Maester Yandel may be biased, but the novels and the D&E stories also portray the Blackwood more favorably than the Brackens.

And while Bloodraven is a very controversial character and uses extreme means, he is always presented as someone who works for a greater good, and who sacrifices himself for the cause. He even seems to be destined to be a key player in the salvation of Westeros against the others.

I agree with the premise of this thread. I also feel GRRM prefers the old gods so the Blackwoods following them is a point in their favour, that the treacherous Brackens poisoned.

I for one want far more about Bittersteel he always interested me the most out of the Great Bastards.

I can't remember exactly but I recall the Brute of Bracken being the only knight to reply to Dunk when he requested knights for the Trial of Seven. He still didn't join him though...

Yandel has no family tie. He is a baby found at Oldtown, taken by the Citadel and raised to be a maester. He is a Flowers.

I don't think he is a Flowers, just no last name. And since he's a maester, especially no last name. Not to be pedantic sorry!

Important reminder. The Blackwoods usurped/rebelled or whatever the hell happened the Brackens, not the other way around. They can't claim the riverlands kingship and the wolfswood.

Archived