Eligible Works for Hugo Worldcon 2016 - Deadline 31st March!

TannerSack

I was going to suggest The First Fifteen Lives of Harry August, but it turns out to be a 2014 publication.

I did nominate it this year, although without success.

Claire North's [i]Touch[/i] would be eligible for next year, although I haven't read it yet and I've heard some comments that it wasn't as good as Harry August.

I love Daily Science fiction and would be delighted to see either of the editors win a Hugo.  Both are eligible for Best Editor Short Form. 

http://dailysciencefiction.com/about

Michelle Lee-Barasso and Jonathan Laden

Even if you don't wish to consider them, their online magazine will email you a fresh spec fic short story Monday through Thursday at midnight.  They're great, they're free and they pay their authors a qualifying rate per word.

In Dramatic Presentation Long Form Mad Max Fury Road seems an inevitable candidate.

In Comic Books (or whatever the category is called) I like the second volume of the Wicked and the Divine by Kieron Gillen and Jamie McKelvie

After reading The Fifth Season I think its far more deserving of a Hugo nomination than the other novels I have mentioned (The Mechanical, House of Shattered Wings and Uprooted). Its so well written, great plot, wonderfully developed world. I'd be happy to see this be nominated next year, based on the books I've read which are eligible for 2016

After reading The Fifth Season I think its far more deserving of a Hugo nomination than the other novels I have mentioned (The Mechanical, House of Shattered Wings and Uprooted). Its so well written, great plot, wonderfully developed world. I'd be happy to see this be nominated next year, based on the books I've read which are eligible for 2016

It would also really annoy Vox Day if it was nominated which I think is another thing in its favour.

I really enjoyed Seveneves and A Darker Shade of Magic. I also enjoyed the Bees, but apparently a bit late. Uprooted and The Mechanical are on my list, and i'll be reading Ancillary Mercy (let's hope the Presger finally show) and The Dark Forest (i think that's the 2nd part of 3-body). House of shattered wings will probably get a read from me, too.

Do any of you use the annual Locus list for recs? I've had mixed experiences with their recs, most notably I hated "The Quantum Thief" (great short story prologue, poor rest of the book).

If any of you use Goodreads, I found this list, not sure if it will be of use to everyone or not.  https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/88604.Hugo_2016_Eligible_Works

I am thinking maybe Aurora, but I haven't read enough of the novels published in 2015.

I have a vested interest in the Hugos for next year. I find myself in a rather interesting position, knowing that my years long effort for SF nonfiction/analysis, Between Light and Shadow, on the work of Gene Wolfe, will never sell many copies, and was published KNOWING it wouldn't because the publisher believed it was worthwhile regardless.... I also know it is an exceedingly useful peace of holistic criticism and non-fiction, the writing of which has literally consumed years of my life.

AND ...  the publisher is Vox Day, who has been generous in his support of my project over the last year and a half of its preparation, giving me complete artistic control over it. So ... if reforms are not made to keep him from getting his nominations seen, I could very well find myself on a ballot ... with predictable results ... and still a limited audience. Oh well. The cover is ridiculously awesome regardless, the formatting of the ebook far better than I could ever have made it, and I am working on the final typo corrections before it goes from ebook to print now. Gene Wolfe has never won a Hugo ... he should have. [My politics are purely devoted to the promulgation and appreciation of Gene Wolfe, but a traditional publisher would never have touched my book with a thousand foot pole, at over 300,000 words].

I find myself in a rather interesting position

Interesting indeed. Your personal credibility would be best served by telling VD not to put you on the slate, and declining nomination if he does it anyway. But a big segment of your potential audience is unlikely to buy your book no matter what, because even if you personally have behaved honourably, they won't want to give money to your publisher. Maybe one day you'll be able to find someone else to publish a new edition?

Interesting indeed. Your personal credibility would be best served by telling VD not to put you on the slate, and declining nomination if he does it anyway. But a big segment of your potential audience is unlikely to buy your book no matter what, because even if you personally have behaved honourably, they won't want to give money to your publisher. Maybe one day you'll be able to find someone else to publish a new edition?

He has contributed too much to making it a better volume to ever feel right about that ... so I guess there is some proverb about making your bed as you lie in it? A traditional publisher never did anything for me - Vox delivered on all of his promises and the editor that worked with me personally fact checked EVERYTHING, catching some things I never could have (like an error in a source I was quoting about the distribution of colors in Oz, for example ...). The project was a project of love regardless; money would have been a pretty nice bonus, but my target demographic was small anyway ...

I'm reading this right now. Enjoying it, although I am not crazy about some of the narrative choices (hopefully these will be resolved as the story moves forward).

Well, I would buy it if it was from anyother publishing house. And if the intro wasn't written by Hitler. Also uh I don't do ebooks.

However I am sitting here trying to decide which of my 470 books on the TBR pile to readm maybe I'll grabe some Wolfe.

Yes, read a Wolfe one ... and if you have any questions ask me. Which ones are sitting around unread?

Maybe my best strategy is the old Eric Cartman amusement park commercial style promotion.

[Wright's intro was actually quite good and focused on Wolfe and their encounters rather than anything else]. I was kind of peeved when my mom read that intro, said it was really good, and then proceeded TO NOT READ MY BOOK.

Archived