Eligible Works for Hugo Worldcon 2016 - Deadline 31st March!

TannerSack

So far I'm mostly just thinking about novels. The Fifth Season's definitely getting my nomination. Karen Memory too, I think, and probably Half the World since it just barely snuck into eligibility.

Blogger/delightful weirdo Phil Sandifer has been organizing some counter-slate nominations (as in, recommendations for people who don't like slates and want to keep them from winning, not recommendations for forming a slate), and here's a Best Novel thread with some other good recs in it.

Sadly, I'm bracing myself for a nomination for Ernest Cline's Armada...a book I feel is absolutely terrible, but has had enormous sales and is (somehow) popular with a large number of people. I fully expect it to be a nominee, pushing a more deserving candidate out.

I dunno, did Ready Player One even get a nomination?

I dunno, did Ready Player One even get a nomination?

According to this post, it missed by six votes.

The ballot in that year (2012): [i]Among Others[/i] by Jo Walter (which won), [i]Leviathan Wakes[/i] by James S. A. Corey, [i]Embassytown[/i] by China Mieville, [i]Deadline[/i] by Mira Grant, and [i]A Dance With Dragons[/i] by GRRM.

The same post mentions a Vernor Vinge book missing by ten votes, so it seems like a very tight race for nominations that year.

Karen Memory by Elizabeth Bear was pretty entertaining. Not sure if it'll make my final ballot, but it has a fighting chance.

Dark Orbit by Carolyn Ives Gilman will not. That one really did nothing for me.

As of right now, my ballot is:

Nemesis Games

The Mechanical

Fifth Season

With possibly:

The Water Knife

Karen Memory

Still to be read:

Empire Ascendant (Oct)

Ancillary Mercy (Oct)

I believe that Uprooted is the only book that I've read this year that is eligible for nomination. I would certainly nominate it, though I am not certain whether I will be participating this year or not.

since I am not eligible to nominate this year (if my information is correct) then please do nominate Uprooted so that I can vote for it.

since I am not eligible to nominate this year (if my information is correct) then please do nominate Uprooted so that I can vote for it.

If you're eligible to vote, then you're eligible to nominate. Unless you become a member of the 2016 WorldCon after nominations close, but before voting closes (and since nominations won't even open for about another six months, that shouldn't be an issue for you).

If you're eligible to vote, then you're eligible to nominate. Unless you become a member of the 2016 WorldCon after nominations close, but before voting closes (and since nominations won't even open for about another six months, that shouldn't be an issue for you).

so should I pay my membership now and that will include both nominations and voting?

https://twitter.com/SFEditorsPicks- if you are looking for short fiction recommendations, this is extremely useful. The top short fiction SFF editors (Gardner Dozois, Elllen Datlow, Jonathan Strahan, etc) recommend the best stories of the year.

Good to see some of my own favourites mentioned there (for example The Deepwater Bride and Hot Rods).

so should I pay my membership now and that will include both nominations and voting?

If you buy a membership for MidAmeriCon II, 2016's Worldcon, then you get to both nominate and vote.  Note though, like felice said upthread, the nominating period won't start for several months, probably around February. 

If you buy a membership for MidAmeriCon II, 2016's Worldcon, then you get to both nominate and vote.  Note though, like felice said upthread, the nominating period won't start for several months, probably around February. 

Though, if you are planning to attend it is cheaper to buy your membership before the end of September, as the price will then go up from $170 to the next tier... however much that is.  

Just nominate Alexandra Erin for best fan writer.

Ah, but best fan writer will probably have a really strong competition with Mike Glyer and perhaps GRRM nominated (provided the puppies won't sweep everything, of course) while in best related work she should be a soo.in (plus added benefit of really pissing Vox off).

Though, if you are planning to attend it is cheaper to buy your membership before the end of September, as the price will then go up from $170 to the next tier... however much that is.  

Yep.

Supporting membership = $50

Attending membership = currently $170; will increase Oct 1 to...probably $180.

Nominations usually happen in Feb-March.

Yep.
Supporting membership = $50
Attending membership = currently $170; will increase Oct 1 to...probably $180.

Nominations usually happen in Feb-March.

According to beniowa's link its early January - late March for nomination, and mid-may - late July for voting.

Nominations for the 2016 Hugo Awards and the 1941 Retro Hugo Awards will open in early January and close in late March. Once the final ballot is set, voting will open in mid-May and close in late July.

Archived