Why is fantasy more popular than science-fiction?

Krafus

I think its more difficult to write good sci-fi than good fantasy.

To me, fantasy is just brain candy. I havent read any fantasy book that challenged me or the way I think. Sci-fi has. I thinks its because most fantasy is set in a (semi) medieval period and the dominant social view is medieval too. In a way reading fantasy to me is a form of social a/o philosophical de-evolution or stand still at best whereas sci-fi has the ability to evolve my thinking by confronting me with a different worldview.

I dont know if there are fantasy counterparts to books like Brave new world, Alles ist gut (from Thomas Ziegler, brilliant sci-fi parody) and Hyperion

I think its more difficult to write good sci-fi than good fantasy.

To me, fantasy is just brain candy. I havent read any fantasy book that challenged me or the way I think. Sci-fi has. I thinks its because most fantasy is set in a (semi) medieval period and the dominant social view is medieval too. In a way reading fantasy to me is a form of social a/o philosophical de-evolution or stand still at best whereas sci-fi has the ability to evolve my thinking by confronting me with a different worldview.

I dont know if there are fantasy counterparts to books like Brave new world, Alles ist gut (from Thomas Ziegler, brilliant sci-fi parody) and Hyperion

Well, frankly you have not read much fantasy if that is the case. Medieval fantasy, although a popular subset of the genre, is not representative of the whole. It's a bit like saying that space opera is all there is to SF and ignoring steampunk, alternate history, cyberpunk etc.

A few different fantasy books:

The Gormenghast Trilogy by Mervyn Peake

The Book of the New Sun by Gene Wolfe

Perdido Street Station by China Mieville

Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell by Susanna Clarke

Well, frankly you have not read much fantasy if that is the case. Medieval fantasy, although a popular subset of the genre, is not representative of the whole. It's a bit like saying that space opera is all there is to SF and ignoring steampunk, alternate history, cyberpunk etc.

A few different fantasy books:

The Gormenghast Trilogy by Mervyn Peake

The Book of the New Sun by Gene Wolfe

Perdido Street Station by China Mieville

Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell by Susanna Clarke

You see. Thats why I like this site. I'll check out those books as soon as I have time but until I know what they're about I stick to what I said about fantasy not enhancing my thoughts.

S.M. Stirling used to be a big time best seller sort of guy but he's gone into a sort of semi-retirement.

He certainly hasn't gone into any sort of retirement. In Sept. he realeased 'A Meeting at Corvallis'. Which is the third in his Dies the Fire series. It is by far his best starting book ( as far as sales go ). It's a mix of Alt History/Fantasy. One of favorite authors. That being said I'm not much of a SciFi fan in novels, I much prefer Alt History and Fantasy, so I haven't read his older works on more recent stuff. Ie. The Nantucket series, DtF, and Conquistador.

Well, the SF-Fantasy hybrid is another matter altogether. Although the dividing lines there are open to debate. Is The Prince of Nothing Trilogy SF because one of the races is from another planet, has biotech and uses particle weapons in battle, although the series also has inexplicable magic? Is Wheel of Time SF because it is set in the far future and the magic system is given a (somewhat tenuous) scientific rationale? Debatable.

7. The Glass Books of the Dream Eaters by Gordon Dahlquist ( Top Ten) A magical dream novel of eroticism and lies.

My post may be out of this thread's character, but I would be most pleased if you (or someone else) could elaborate on this description :) . The book's title and your blurb intrigue me. It sounds similiar to the writings of Neil Gaiman. Would that be accurate?

Artanaro

Archived