[Book Spoilers] EP503 Discussion

Ran

The Sansa plot is becoming interesting because we don't know what LF or Sansa are up to. Their on screen reasons don't make much sense so it is safe to assume both are concealing their true motives. I think LF's real plan is to off the Bolton's and make himself lord of Winterfell by marrying Sansa himself. And I think that LF is going to find that this time round he has met someone even more devious and scheming than himself.

I don't know what Sansa's plan is but I doubt it includes being a dutiful wife.

Someone mentioned Harry the Heir is now Ramsay the Heir, which makes sense, so I think you're right. I like not being able to figure out show Petyr because his book counterpart is pretty transparent to me.

Also, somewhere up the chain someone mentioned Ian McNiece for Manderly. He's perfect - and it looks like he was Illyrio in the original pilot, too, so he's already associated with the show in a way. I was trying to figure out where I recognized him from and finally remembered he was Baron Harkonnen in the scifi channel Dune series. Yes, a thousand times yes.

Manderly is probably out but if they somehow kept that stuff secret and he's in, it has to be McNiece.

EDIT

I thought the prevailing idea was that LF plan was to betray the Boltons to Stannis? If his actual idea is that marrying Sansa into a family of ruthless, badass skin flaying torturers like the Boltons is going to help him, then that is extremely naive.

Book and show Petyr have all the reasons in the world to stack the deck against Stannis. Both have actively plotted against him from day one. King Stannis would be one of the worst outcomes for Littlefinger.

The post you quoted is very likely what's going on.

Edited by MVC

. Also i didn't like how Jon casually continued drinking and then casually went outside like he was gonna do something he was used to (executing nobles). This was a very fast and unjustified character development compared to the books. I already watched the episode when it was leaked and waited till this moment expecting a lot of uproar from the community. i was disappointed again.

I agree 100%.

This was an incredibly bad scene. I cannot believe that people actually approve of how it was handled. It was cliche, out of character and way too sensational.

I think its because nearly part of the series is being dissected over and over again.

There just seems to be a never ending list of complaints. This character isn't in the series, that line has been left out, this character isn't the same as the book, they are rushing this part, this other thing is taking too much time. Internet trolls have spent years spoiling as much as the can for those that never read the books. It all builds up.

For me the series is a TV adaption. It was never going to be the same. Like a lot of people I read the first book in the late nineties and we are still waiting for the story to end. Not to mention that not everything in those books is great. A lot of it could be easily cut. So I don't see the problem in the series giving the whole thing a dust off and new shine.

GOT is arguably the best advertisement for why I have spent 30 years or more reading Fantasy. It isn't all about silly men in hats firing lightening blots from their fingers. It can be gripping. It can have real drama. It can have real highs.

I guess there have been so many petty complaints about details the show didn't adapt that fair criticism is often mistaken for people blurting out hate for the show (I also find people shouting "character assassination!" every time Stannis' lines are different from the books). I still thinks it's important to be critical, because criticism helps to develop something in the long run. I also think I wouldn't criticise the show as harshly as I sometimes do if I didn't like the show; I think it's perfectly possible to really like the show and still dislike parts of it.

I agree about the show being a great advertisment for fantasy. I've managed to convince so many people to watch the show and read the books who wouldn't have read or watched fantasy before. It still hurtsa little bit, though, if the show is going for tropes and clichés where the book was avoiding exactly that. I don't mind cuts and deviations much as long as they are done well, but I feel many of them just lack the narrative quality of the books. While I can accept this as a necessary concession to non-book readers and really enjoy the show anyway, I do sometimes dream of living in a parallel universe in which David Simon produces the show instead of D&D :P

Seriously what?

Did you find it disgusting?

It is television. It cannot be racist or unfeminist, because it's not real. If killing and torturing people is okay, why wouldn't portraying women in a certain way wouldn't be okay?

(Moreover, people like nude women. Not only men, but also women enjoy beautiful women. Men look at women. Women look at women too. There is no need at all to treat male beauty and/or nudity the same as female beauty/nudity).

Am I the only one to wonder whats going to happen to Varys next ???

Okay so Tyrion is basically following his "book" arc and will go along with Jorah, ending up we-know-where......

But what about Varys ? The guy was supposed to fill in the Youg griff storyline, at some point. (leading Tyrion to volantis where he gets captured).

Still, we know that Youg griff is not to appear in the show. So its not like Varys could find another mission to pursue.

Is he going to meet Daenerys without Tyrion ? Will he go back to Kings Landing to do whats he's supposed to do (Adwd epilogue)

seems unlikely...

Okay so Tyrion is basically following his "book" arc and will go along with Jorah, ending up we-know-where......

But what about Varys ? The guy was supposed to fill in the Youg griff storyline, at some point. (leading Tyrion to volantis where he gets captured).

Still, we know that Youg griff is not to appear in the show. So its not like Varys could find another mission to pursue.

Is he going to meet Daenerys without Tyrion ? Will he go back to Kings Landing to do whats he's supposed to do (Adwd epilogue)

seems unlikely...

You're not the only one. I've been trying to puzzle that out myself. The most logical thing to keep with the show's premise would be for him to just continue on to Dany without Tyrion. I don't see any reason for him to return to KL. I guess he could return to sow discord prior to Dany's arrival, similar to fAegon, but with fA, V was actively in on the plan (mastermind, really). Wouldn't he need to give Dany a head's up that he is going to go eff sh*t up in KL first? But then, I personally don't feel as strongly about him killing Kevan and Pycelle as others seem to. It's fine but it wouldn't matter to me if it changed.

I don't think Tyrion will follow his book storyline. Just think he's going to get to Mereen, and that's it. No sellsword business, since the show is out of companies.

Unless they introduce the Stormcrows and Malko is just a fake character name to hide Brown Ben Plumm. \

But that's just hopeful thinking.

More likely Jorah will present Tyrion as a gift. Dany, will put both of their lives on the line in the fighting pit where Jorah acts as his and Tyrion's champion. That will obviously get interrupted and she won't stick around long enough to decide what to do. Maybe a Mormont/Lannister coup?

seems unlikely...

But Varys was MIA for most of ADWD anyway and showed up at the end when he was needed. Why can't show Varys do the same? Just as in the books, the show has established that he knows the tunnels of the Red Keep and can easily find Pycelle and Kevan when the time is right. Even though his plan in the books was Aegon, he wasn't any where near him. Not having Aegon means he needs a new plan and he's already said it's Dany. It looks like he'll continue on to meet her or arrange a meeting when she is in Westeros. So it's not a bigger mystery than in the books where we also don't know what his next move will be.

Edited by Ser Pounce FTW

Will Grey Scale replace the Pale Mare? Will Meereen be hit by a plague of Grey Scale? I agree that Jorah is most likely (although Semly is possible) to pick up the JonCon Grey Scale storyline.

Will Grey Scale replace the Pale Mare? Will Meereen be hit by a plague of Grey Scale? I agree that Jorah is most likely (although Semly is possible) to pick up the JonCon Grey Scale storyline.

I think so. It also looks like it will be Jorah that gets it and brings it to Westeros. I'd say that bodes well for him making out of the fighting pit after Drogon goes bezerk. Someone has to bring it to Westeros as JonCon has.

I think so too. But I am also starting to wonder if it might be bigger and more important than the Pale Mare, that maybe greyscale is more than just a plague that kills lots of people. It's crackpot so I won't elaborate more (for now!).

Crackpot? I live for crackpot! I've seen speculation that Shireen will be the key to a Stone Dragon. And of course, there's the one about the dragon in the tombs of Winterfell. What's yours?

Crackpot? I live for crackpot! I've seen speculation that Shireen will be the key to a Stone Dragon. And of course, there's the one about the dragon in the tombs of Winterfell. What's yours?

I always thought that Jon would be reborn in salt and smoke with Shireen's life exchanged for his. The dragon from stone bit would be him discovering his true heritage by literally opening the tomb of Lynna Stark and finding something of Rhaegars like his harp or something. Maybe a Targ marriage cloak.