[Book Spoilers] EP503 Discussion

Ran

No. The Greyscale plot ends with Jora's death.. They're not doing a Bloody Flux storyline on this show. With all the things they have to worry about, the white walkers, ect..., it's just another complication, and D&D aren't adding any new complications. Bloody flux is airborne, it would easily kill Dany and Tyrion, and everyone around Jorah before they even got to Westoros. That would be lazy writing. No, Greyscale in the show is what greyscale is in the books, and Jorah will just play the role of JonCon in this aspect. It will kill him and him only.

Crackpot? I live for crackpot! I've seen speculation that Shireen will be the key to a Stone Dragon. And of course, there's the one about the dragon in the tombs of Winterfell. What's yours?

Uh mine is not fully developed yet but I've been kicking around the idea of whether greyscale in some way relates to the coming White Walkers invasion. Not even sure how it does, it could help them (wights with greyscale are indestructible perhaps? Even to dragon fire maybe?) or it could hurt them, like relating to the stone dragon or something. I don't know, just something I've been wondering ever since they've been namechecking greyscale so much. They have so little time that anything that so many characters talk about must be really important. And though a plague is awful, it doesn't have the kind of "in your face" emotional weight that D&D like. But maybe they are just way heavily foreshadowing the Stone Men.

No. The Greyscale plot ends with Jora's death.. They're not doing a Bloody Flux storyline on this show. With all the things they have to worry about, the white walkers, ect..., it's just another complication, and D&D aren't adding any new complications. Bloody flux is airborne, it would easily kill Dany and Tyrion, and everyone around Jorah before they even got to Westoros. That would be lazy writing. No, Greyscale in the show is what greyscale is in the books, and Jorah will just play the role of JonCon in this aspect. It will kill him and him only.

If only Tyrion was the one discussing it, I would have agreed. The show is definitely trying to condense where possible. However, having Gilly discuss greyscale at the Wall and how extreme people react to it really supports it being bigger than Jorah.

Oh, I just realized from the last couple posts, you guys are fanfictionists. You're all over the place. Never mind. Have your fun. Who am I to ruin that.

Oh yes. That's right. Anyone who likes the show is into fanfiction. Makes me really wonder why you bother watching since it's all over the place. Thanks for wishing us fun.

Uh mine is not fully developed yet but I've been kicking around the idea of whether greyscale in some way relates to the coming White Walkers invasion. Not even sure how it does, it could help them (wights with greyscale are indestructible perhaps? Even to dragon fire maybe?) or it could hurt them, like relating to the stone dragon or something. I don't know, just something I've been wondering ever since they've been namechecking greyscale so much. They have so little time that anything that so many characters talk about must be really important. And though a plague is awful, it doesn't have the kind of "in your face" emotional weight that D&D like. But maybe they are just way heavily foreshadowing the Stone Men.

Interesting. I've been wondering if it might be used against Dany's dragons. I don't think it's just foreshadowing the Stone Men. The Stone Men are foreshadowing an epidemic and I definitely think it's going to wreak havoc on Westeros.

Great episode all around. Sansa in Winterfell was even more brilliant than I could have imagined. Having a character we're invested in and have watched grow up in WF is so much better than having her sit around the Vale. Kudos to D&D. Better than the books here for sure. George should have done this himself.

:bowdown: Thank you for saying this. I had this horrible vision of the show just getting mired down like the books did. All of those chapters of useless people doing nothing. I mean doing absolutely nothing. Thank the old gods and the new gods, someone wrote a store where characters are actually doing something.

If only Tyrion was the one discussing it, I would have agreed. The show is definitely trying to condense where possible. However, having Gilly discuss greyscale at the Wall and how extreme people react to it really supports it being bigger than Jorah.

I saw that as nothing more than setting us up for the Stonemen scene. By describing what Greyscale looks like and how it makes you behave, we're going to see that in its entirety. All Tyrion did was mention the Stonemen by name, that way we'll know who they are when they run into them. It's all set up, IMO. But, maybe your'e right. I just doubt they would change greyscale into a airborne disease and give it to the guy who's going to be around the Queen. Like I said, they would all be dead before they got to Westoros.

Edited by Dalpha

I think at this point, D & D pretty much know how the saga ends and who live/die, so what they are doing is working backwards and eliminate some of the plot lines to fit the TV seasons/timeline, but at the same time, trying not to make it too far off from the remaining books Martin is writing.

It wont change anything in the books except we now know the vale arc is pointless, LF is set to die and Sansa will reunite with Jon Snow.

I disagree. I doubt the Vale will be "pointless" in the books, and just like Jaime isn't going to Dorne anytime soon in the books I doubt Sansa will go north before she gets involved in (f)Aegon's and Dany's wars in the south. The show will get to the same ending, but the road may differ greatly from now on.

I saw that as nothing more than setting us up for the Stonemen scene. By describing what Greyscale looks like and how it makes you behave, we're going to see that in its entirety. All Tyrion did was mention the Stonemen by name, that way we'll know who they are when they run into them. It's all set up, IMO. But, maybe your'e right. I just doubt they would change greyscale into a airborne disease and give it to the guy who's going to be around the Queen. Like I said, they would all be dead before they got to Westoros.

Who said it would become airborne?

So after watching Episode 3, I am guessing the following:

- The 3 women that the camera stopped on at Winterfell are not going to be Wildlings but plants that Littlefinger had infiltrate Winterfell before he and Sansa got there. So far this Season, Littlefinger seems like a complete moron but how can he not know about the psychotic infamy of Ramsey? I am guessing these women will watch over Sansa and keep her safe. They may even kill Ramsey after his wedding..unless Theon kills Ramsey before escaping Winterfell (with or without Sansa). I think viewers would want to see Theon have his revenge on Ramsey and the letter to Jon can be written by anyone else (if D&D even go that route).

- I agree with the above posts about the greyscale replacing the flux. No way can D&D incorporate that entire storyline. Too involved for a mere 10 episode season.

- I do not think Jorah is going to replace Connington at all. I think the entire Griff/Connington storyline will be thrown aside, as they are doing the Ironborn, Lord Manderly, Arianne Martell, Lady Stoneheart, etc., etc., etc. Since none of us have a clue what happens to Jorah yet, I think his fate ends this season as it did in Book 5.

- Varys will now head back to King's Landing. Or he will search for Tyrion until he hears from his birds that Cersie is imprisoned and Kevan Lannister is running things. Either way, he has his way to head back to Kings Landing. And since the show makes it seem like the entire world is about as vast as Rhode Island, he has plenty of time to get there.

- As long as Jon Snow sends Sam off to Oldtown with Gilly, her baby, and Aemon to become a maester, I can see them finding a ship from Braavos back to Westeros with Jaqen H'ghar either being the ship's captain or a crew member. Maybe the guy who helps them find the ship. It would be a way to get him to the Citadel, if that story line is even approached. Not sure though.

- With Manderly obviously out, will Stannis be the one who realizes/finds out where Rickon and Osha went? Will he then send Davos on his mission instead of Manderly? Or will Jon Snow find out and ask Davos to rescue his brother for the good of the North? If Jon agrees to help Stannis' cause in return for Davos finding Rickon, this can still lead to...ya know...and keep things in line with the story.

Edited by A Redeemed Hound

I disagree. I doubt the Vale will be "pointless" in the books, and just like Jaime isn't going to Dorne anytime soon in the books I doubt Sansa will go north before she gets involved in (f)Aegon's and Dany's wars in the south. The show will get to the same ending, but the road may differ greatly from now on.

I agree with this completely. The destination may be the same, but the journey is shaping up to be completely different, I think.

:bowdown: Thank you for saying this. I had this horrible vision of the show just getting mired down like the books did. All of those chapters of useless people doing nothing. I mean doing absolutely nothing. Thank the old gods and the new gods, someone wrote a store where characters are actually doing something.

Yeah I' absolutely with you guys on that. After seasons of Sansa being one of the most annoying characters in the series, this episode I suddenly caught myself wishing they would cut the Tyrion part and go back to her. The scene with her meeting Ramsay and Roose for the first time: Gut wrenching! Especially since we know how important WF becomes at the end of ADWD I am unbelievably curious, where they are going with this. Perfect synergy of book and series, where knowing the book plot makes you actually more invested in the show plot.

There's stuff I disliked about the episode; the Margery/Cersei stuff was funny and well acted but kind of childish and I really hate how much they demystify Varys. Also I think Jons storyline is really rushed this season and I imagine Unsullied are going to have a hard time understanding him and his motivations. They definitely needed to spend another couple of minutes last week and this week on fleshing out those parts and going deeper into Jons psyche. I know you can never go as deep as the books do, but the last episodes were huge for Jon and D&D didn't translate that too well, in my opinion. But I am definitely very pretty happy with what they are doing in WF.

Interesting. I've been wondering if it might be used against Dany's dragons. I don't think it's just foreshadowing the Stone Men. The Stone Men are foreshadowing an epidemic and I definitely think it's going to wreak havoc on Westeros.

How do you think it could be used against them? I've been wondering the same, if it could be used against the dragons, since my only real theory is that greyscale is more than the plague - but no idea past that! But I can't think how...

ITA that the Stone Men are just foreshadowing for the greater looming threats of greyscale.

So after watching Episode 3, I am guessing the following:

- The 3 women that the camera stopped on at Winterfell are not going to be Wildlings but plants that Littlefinger had infiltrate Winterfell before he and Sansa got there. So far this Season, Littlefinger seems like a complete moron but how can he not know about the psychotic infamy of Ramsey? I am guessing these women will watch over Sansa and keep her safe. They may even kill Ramsey after his wedding..unless Theon kills Ramsey before escaping Winterfell (with or without Sansa). I think viewers would want to see Theon have his revenge on Ramsey and the letter to Jon can be written by anyone else (if D&D even go that route).

- I agree with the above posts about the greyscale replacing the flux. No way can D&D incorporate that entire storyline. Too involved for a mere 10 episode season.

- I do not think Jorah is going to replace Connington at all. I think the entire Griff/Connington storyline will be thrown aside, as they are doing the Ironborn, Lord Manderly, Arianne Martell, Lady Stoneheart, etc., etc., etc. Since none of us have a clue what happens to Jorah yet, I think his fate ends this season as it did in Book 5.

The woman in the foreground that the camera lingered on in Winterfell, is Ramsay's sadistic GF and "henchwoman" Myranda. She is already jealous of Sansa, in a way that seems to indicate book-Myranda (Royce) in the Vale may turn on Sansa in the future. In the show, it is a given that Myranda (whatever her surname happens to be) will attempt to take it out on Sansa. Sophie Turner's "traumatic scene" likely has to do with her, possibly Ramsay turns on her and expects Sansa to join in the "fun".

As for LF, I'm not sure he really has no idea who and what Ramsay is. He has not been telling the truth to the Boltons, but the act of delivering Sansa to them does indicate, on the other hand, that he underestimates them anyway. I hope the show will deliver some kind of reasoning of what Sansa is hoping to accomplish to undermine the Boltons, because as of yet her and LF's motivations are murky.

I don't think there will be a flux-equivalent. Nor do I think Jorah will take the Connington-role as a whole - but he may well get infected with Greyscale (as Connington was) and carry it to Westeros, much later. Greyscale has been build up to such an extent that it is going to play a role, and it's not going to replace the bloody flux (which Dany and Tyrion would not succumb too, anyway).

I noticed that while Tyrion is watching the Red Priestess, at the end of her street preaching, she makes a comment to the effect of Dany being the savior. This got me thinking about Dany as Azor Ahai and how that would fit the prophecy. Her dragons would be her "Lightbringer." The eggs being placed in Drogo's funeral pier fire would be the "tempering." Instead of plunging a sword through her lovers heart, she forges her dragons in her husband's funeral pier, walking into the fire and emerging from the smoke and ash with her newly hatched dragons. Thoughts?

Sorry in advance if this has been discussed or is in the wrong place.

Also I think Jons storyline is really rushed this season and I imagine Unsullied are going to have a hard time understanding him and his motivations. They definitely needed to spend another couple of minutes last week and this week on fleshing out those parts and going deeper into Jons psyche. I know you can never go as deep as the books do, but the last episodes were huge for Jon and D&D didn't translate that too well, in my opinion. But I am definitely very pretty happy with what they are doing in WF.

The previously.tv unsullied, who are among the most attentiveTV watchers on the planet, like Jon's storyline this season (including his interactions with Stannis) and the execution scene of Slynt went over really well.

I also thought this was a very good scene, and actually quite close to the books. Jon gets contrasted positively to Dany (Mossador), Theon (Cassel) and even Robb (Karstark) to some extent. He is the only one who gained followers/respect with the move.

Arguably, Jon is the star of the season.

Who said it would become airborne?

Well, if your'e saying it's going to replace Bloody flux, it would be. The only reason Bloody flux spreads so quickly and takes out so many people is because it's airborne. How many people actually have Greyscale. So far, one girl, and the Stonemen. It's a minority. You get Greyscale by touching it. So how exactly is Jorah supposed to spread this to everyone? Please tell me? And how would his own friends be immune to it? It's lazy writing. It's too complex, and it's not happening.

I noticed that while Tyrion is watching the Red Priestess, at the end of her street preaching, she makes a comment to the effect of Dany being the savior. This got me thinking about Dany as Azor Ahai and how that would fit the prophecy. Her dragons would be her "Lightbringer." The eggs being placed in Drogo's funeral pier fire would be the "tempering." Instead of plunging a sword through her lovers heart, she forges her dragons in her husband's funeral pier, walking into the fire and emerging from the smoke and ash with her newly hatched dragons. Thoughts?

Sorry in advance if this has been discussed or is in the wrong place.

Jon and Dany have long been acknowledged (on the book forums) as the two main candidates for the "saviour" role. By having two such figures, Martin isn't making things too transparent for us! Both, as well as other like Bran, likely have their roles to play against the Others.