How would you rate episode 503?

Ran

How would you rate episode 503?  

455 members have voted

1. 1. What's your rating from 1-10, with 10 being the highest/best

Gave this one an 8. Better than the last two. With topsy-turvy Jaime out of the picture, topsy-turvy Cersei is more palatable. Jonathan Pryce is great. And... I have deep, deep issues with the way they moved to Sansa-Ramsay (namely, Littlefinger being a complete numbskull, as usual when it's convenient for the writers), but the scene overlooking Moat Cailin was terrific acting from the both of them, and the best thing Gillen's done since the first season, IMO.

I may well live to regret this, of course. Like I said, I have major issues and qualms about it. One great scene built on a foundation as full of quicksand as the Neck is not a great idea...

But for this episode, worked pretty well.

6/10

Qyburn is now my favorite show character.

Stannis' nod to Jon was awesome.

That red priest in Volantis was pretty hot.

The mention of Thoros of Myr was unexpected.

Another stonemen reference, that was pretty cool.

Roose and Petyr's convo was awkward.

Ramsay with manners scarred the shit out of me.

Theon was pretty good.

7, it may go lower of a rewatch.

Drunk angry Tyrion suddenly becomes sweet charming sad Tyrion, serious White washing. It was good to see Jorah, but I expected to see him sort of more worse for wear. Tell me how does the single greatest spy in the World lose his traveling companion in a Brothel?

The wall was ok, fetch me a block owuld of been ok, but I think the show didn't want to make a joke of of the scene or make it fun, so I do understand that change.

Marg gloating, and her ladies laughing at poor Cersei? Not sure what to make of KL, Cerse is doing her own dirty work it appears. But really not sure to make of what they are doing.

No Dorne, you introduce Dorne and it's been on screen for about 90 seconds in 3 episodes.

House of Black and White, well I, it was ok, not really much happening. I hope old Jaq washed his hands after sticking them in poison.

Winterfell and the North. So Littlefinger says avenge them and Sansa is all in. Sure why not, seems like a great plan. The North remembers was a nice touch at least. Ramsey acting all nice, was kind of funny.

Pod and Brie? Well lets here some of your back story, ok thanks. Didn't think the acting was all that great in that scene.

It felt like episodes 1 and 2 to me, not really any character building, not a lot of plot progression, and a lot of moving pieces to set up what will probably be a handful of big moments late in the season. The episode felt flat, no real highs or lows, just sort of monotonous. The beats were more like a series of long monotone notes.

Do you know what GNC even is? Do you know how that theory actually came to existence? Do you know that no Northern lord has been cast? The idea that "LF is doing GNC dance" is nonsensical because there are no elements of GNC in the series.

Yes, I know exactly what it is, but clearly they are changing things, Like the fact everyone knows she is Sansa Stark, they can reshape the GNC around her instead of Jon Snow, it's just a theory,I may not be right, but you don't see me attacking you because your OPINION differs from mine .

Edited by DJE

Gave this one an 8. Better than the last two. With topsy-turvy Jaime out of the picture, topsy-turvy Cersei is more palatable. Jonathan Pryce is great. And... I have deep, deep issues with the way they moved to Sansa-Ramsay (namely, Littlefinger being a complete numbskull, as usual when it's convenient for the writers), but the scene overlooking Moat Cailin was terrific acting from the both of them, and the best thing Gillen's done since the first season, IMO.

I may well live to regret this, of course. Like I said, I have major issues and qualms about it. One great scene built on a foundation as full of quicksand as the Neck is not a great idea...

But for this episode, worked pretty well.

I fear you're right. I'm loathing the Sansa-Ramsay story that's to come, but I'm also kind of resigned to it at this point. Mainly I'm glad that it looks like her storyline is changed sufficiently that we probably won't be getting any Sansa TWOW spoilers. LF continues to be the man without a plan in the show.

Yes, I know exactly what it is, but clearly they are changing things, Like the fact everyone knows she is Sansa Stark, they can reshape the GNC around her instead of Jon Snow, it's just a theory,I may not be right, but you don't see me attacking you because your OPINION differs from mine .

I didn't attack you, I am just asking you because it seemed to me that you have the problems with the concept of GNC. Furthermore, I think the fact that NO Northern lord has been cast is a HUGE thing re GNC,

7.5, generously rounded up to an 8. A significant improvement on the last episode, and some very good book, or very close to book scenes, but still some serious issues. There's also more to discuss here than the first two episodes.

What I liked:

- Pretty much everything at the wall. Jon and Stannis continue to be awesome, and Slynt's execution was outstanding. Everyone complaining about the lack of "Ed, fetch me a block", needs a healthy dose of perspective.

- The House of Black and White. They made me a little concerned with her weird entry last episode, but this was outstanding. They really just get this arc, in a way they haven't got a lot of others. Feels authentic, spooky and mysterious, and Masie absolutely nailed the Needle conflict, given that she had to convey a lot of internal dialogue.

- The introduction of the High Sparrow. I expect him to get stern and formidable later in the show, but for now a humble entrance is a good way to spin it. Jonathan Price is an excellent choice.

- Littlefinger and Roose interplay. I hated the actual content of the dialogue between them for storytelling reasons, but their chemistry is excellent, and I'm sad to see them parting ways. Roose's: "I'd like to read the reply" was the best line of the episode.

In two minds:

- Winterfell. I really can't decide what I think about this. On the one hand, its great to see Sansa back at Winterfell, and "The North Remembers" thrown in there was a real treat, I hope it continues. They also did a great job of conveying Theon's ghosts with the flayed men hanging where hey hung the farmer's boys, and ducking away when Sansa walked past. On the other hand.... there are just so many holes. Bringing Sansa to Winterfell as Sansa really ignores her value to Littlefinger, it's just not a move he'd ever make. And the reason given is even worse. The way Littlefinger brushes off Cersei as a spent force who can do nothing is completely negated by him scurrying back to King's Landing when he's summoned. It's all very clumsy, and the Unsullied are noticing.

What I didn't like:

- The return of the Westeros Teleportation Device. Cersei writing a letter to Littlefinger, and then Littlefinger getting the letter in the next fucking scene was an absolute joke. I expect better.

- More Tyrion whitewashing. He's impotent?? Are you kidding me??? In the book he's literally fucking everything with a pair of tits, which is supposed to show how dark and unfeeling he's become. As if the travesty of last season's finale wasn't enough, they're still trying to make him the good and pure champion of decency. I'm disgusted.

Overall good stuff, and most of the problems were things I expected anyway. General trajectory of the show is in a good place.

Probably an 8/10 for me. I liked that the Tyrion plotline has finally begun to progress. I liked the Qyburn scenes ("Shhhh. Easy, friend."). I liked the Wall scenes as well and the fact that we get to see Jon's first real test as Lord Commander. Arya's scene with Needle was also good. I'm still more excited for the later parts in the series, but we're getting there at a good pace.

Edited by WinterRaven

I didn't attack you, I am just asking you because it seemed to me that you have the problems with the concept of GNC. Furthermore, I think the fact that NO Northern lord has been cast is a HUGE thing re GNC,

Well, I don't pay attention to casting, and wouldn't know about that aspect, but I can see them shaping it to fit Sansa instead of Jon, I just got chills when the servant told her "The North Remembers, it got me thinking about GNC, and I can't see LF being so out of it by not knowing who Ramsey Snow/Bolton is. It leads me to think he has a LF plan in the works, so maybe we would get the shows version of the GNC. Again, I could be wrong.

9/10

I don't think the will is needed ( did they even show it in season 3? ), Sansa just going with it? again I think she's in the middle of nowhere surrounded by LF lackeys, and she is definitely pissed off with LF, and Roose.

I would of rather see the old lady remind Sansa that they remember because she's the daughter of Ned and Cat, instead of LF.

I liked the Wall scene like many I wished Edd fetch me a block was in it but it still played well.

I chuckled with Tommens speed sex, and Marg pissing off Cersei.

And Tyrion and the prostitute, can't decide if the bracelet was something or he started thinking he's still married to Sansa.

9/10. After a less-than-stellar premiere, they've bounced back with two great episodes in a role.

The Wall scene were great, bringing out the best in both Jon and Stannis (who is really benefitting from this season). Show Thorne is 100X more interesting and complex than Book Thorne.

Jonathan Pryce was fantastic as the High Sparrow. I can see how he can convince people to make bad decisions.

Brienne and Pod were great together and get some backstories.

The North remembers! The writers remember for the second week in a row! The first being Lyanna Mormont's letter last week.

Edited by Darth Pipes

Giving it a 9. Everything is starting to tie up--Seeing LF/Sansa, and Brienne/Pod at Moat Cailin was lovely. It was great to have the Boltons back. Slynt's beheading was really, really well done. Jon and Stannis have gobs of chemistry. Also, it's wonderful to see Wlaschiha back, and can't wait to see what the High Sparrow does :)

Good episode. Gave it a 7.

It didn't feel as rushed as the last 2 episodes so that's a plus.

I was a little uncomfortable with the Margaery/Tommen sex scene but I think that's only because I know how old Tommen is supposed to be? :dunno:

The wall continues to be great. (I didn't like it much last season) Kit is doing amazing, Dillane & Kit have a dynamic that helps both of their characters IMO. I would be lying if I said it didn't disappoint me to not have "Edd, fetch me a block." (Do we still have Edd?) At least we got Dillane's nod of approval. I think a poster above mentioned that Jon should have said something about the white walkers when refusing Stannis & I couldn't agree more. Other than no Ghost (where is he?) The wall was really great.

Not sure I'm a fan of Sansa marrying Ramsay. I guess I will have to wait to see how it turns out. I am excited to not know what is happening next. Theon is a phenominal actor, no lines & still acts the hell out of his scenes. No Harry the Heir I presume but what are they going to do with SweetRobin?

tHoB&W was better this episode but I'm still kind of bummed out about it. Maisie is great as always but I really, really don't like the Kindly Man being Jaqen.

Tyrion & Varys were good. They always are. I didn't really understand Tyrion not being able to go with the whore though, isn't this the part in the book where he kinda forces his self on one?

Brienne & Pod are always my least favorite but I don't have much to complain about them this episode.

Actually now that I've read my own review I think I will bump it to an 8.

ETA: forgot about the High Sparrow! He was great!

Edited by Lyanna<3Rhaegar

Since everyone seems to know everything, how long until word gets back to KL that Sansa is in the north with LF and will marry a Bolton? Has she been forgiven already?

Probably not, I could see Cersei do something foolish like sending troops north and then KL goes totally to shit as she hasn't enough troops to support KL.