How would you rate episode 503?

Ran

How would you rate episode 503?  

455 members have voted

1. 1. What's your rating from 1-10, with 10 being the highest/best

People giving this episode a score of 1 need to be watching Survivor or American Idol. They are obviously not GOT fans and "know nothing."

I don't understand any 1 ratings either. Or 10s for that matter. Actually, I'm considering dropping mine to a 7, and can't really justify an 8 rating. It was slightly stronger than the first two episodes, but not by much.

10 to me means solid acting the whole way through, solid plot, solid visuals, and that I was on the edge of my seat for damn near the whole thing. There have been 10s in the GoTs series, for sure, and these first 3 eps of season 5 were not, in my opinion, anywhere near deserving of a 10 rating. But to each their own.

Honestly, after reviewing all 3 episodes, I think they were all strong 6s.

Gave it a 7. Far better than the first two episodes. I took myself away from the books and will try (again) to see this show for what it is: a gift to pass the time until the next book is finished. That is all. I might love the show if I never read the books, but I have read the books (4 times each) and will simply be happy for what the show is. It's filler until GRRM releases the next masterpiece. So for a television show that has been dumbed down for the masses, I give it a 7.

5/10

After much deliberation, I cannot give the episode more than 5 points and that is solely because of the beheading of Janos Slynt. The whole cast was excellent.

All the rest is abysmal. People and ravens are teleported all around Westeros and Essos. Sansa is supposed to be learning the game and it took her an inordinate amount of time to figure out that the marriage proposal was for her, not LF. Ramsey flays people and acts like a gallant schoolboy towards Sansa in one episode. Ramsey promises LF he will take good care of Sansa!?!?!?!?! Character arc, anyone !?!?!?!? That being said, each scene Roose Bolton is in gets high marks just because finally an actor knows his character. The meeting between Roose and Sansa was a brilliant moment.

Arya in Braavos has the right atmosphere about it.

Podric and Brienne continue to be nonsensical. Marg and Tommen as well.

Cersei and High Sparrow meeting was tolerable although it is clear Jonathan Price did not read the books and has no idea what his character is all about. He looks like an endearing grandfather.

Tyrion gets into a brothel and advertises his Lannister ability to pay his debts and the fact that he used to be rich. Isn't he supposed to be clever?

In short, this goes beyond butchering the books. It goes against logic, reason, continuity, basic rules of creative writing. D&D should be ashamed of their shabby job more than ever.

Edited by Modesty Lannister

5/10

After much deliberation, I cannot give the episode more than 5 points and that is solely because of the beheading of Janos Slint. The whole cast was excellent.

All the rest is abysmal. People and ravens are teleported all around Westeros and Essos.

I absolutely agree! Here's what I wrote regarding the abysmal misuse of time in the show and how they should rectify it in post 117:

First every episode should be three hours long, that would give them ample of time to draw every plot movement out so it is as long as in the books.

Also, they should film allot of horseback travelling and in the box travelling scenes. Montages. Scenes when they add dialogue "my dear Petyr, we have been travelled 2 weeks since Moat Caitlin, how long do you think we will need to travel before we see Winterfell?" - "My dear lady Stark, as you know it takes two months to reach Kings Landing from Winterfell and Moat Caitlin is roughly halfway there so I think in 2 weeks shall you be back home".

Also when pressed in time, they should add black screens with a text "2 weeks later" and so on. Or maybe calendar. But first they'd have to invent a true Westeros calendar and then explain it to the audience as I seriously doubt there were emperors Gaius Julius Caesar and Augustus in Westeros.

I'm considering dropping mine to a 7, and can't really justify an 8 rating.

Honestly, after reviewing all 3 episodes, I think they were all strong 6s.

Then why do you keep giving out 7's and 8's then? But since someone had the audacity to rate this a "10", you feel the need to compensate by lowering your score? Man up and own your own score.

I rated this a 9, and my grade does not change depending on what others discuss in this forum.

Edited by Titan

I gave it an 8/10, on a scale where the best episodes so far have gotten 9 or maybe 10 and the worst ones in the show so far maybe 4 (think early season 2). The stuff at the wall on it's own raises every episode in this season so far by one point: https://promethiumwings.wordpress.com/2015/04/27/game-of-thrones-s5e3-review/

I've got it all in a text file. Think I shared it once. Need to update its entries as votes always trickle in from across all seasons, but once I do that (in my copious spare time...) I'll repost it.

I absolutely agree! Here's what I wrote regarding the abysmal misuse of time in the show and how they should rectify it in post 117:

Well, GRRM did say that Planetos days and weeks equal ours, so there should be no problem with "2 weeks later". GRRM only said that length of the seasons is out of control. He was vague about the length of a year on Planetos. So, time passage should, as you noted, be put on the screen. This way it looks like everything is happening in Lichtenstein.

He is just acting. Unlike book Ramsay, the show version understands to be polite sometimes.

Sorry, I didn't understand your post. Show Ramsey was not being polite. He swore to take good care of Sansa in a very solemn way. That has nothing to do with Ramsey as a character. Also, LF not knowing anything about Ramsey is as probable as Einstein not knowing Relativity Theory. He is marrying Sansa to a person he knows little about?!?!! Seriously ?!?!?!

Gave it a 7. Better than the first two, but it still had flaws. One of the big problems this season is that many scenes work fine or even well on their own, but don't work in terms of the overall narrative. I'm dreading where they'll take the Sansa stuff; if they substitute Jeyne Poole with her completely (i.e. the rape and abuse) I think I may stop watching the show. It would completely destroy Sansa's character building.

The Wall stuff was good, but it is both baffling and infuriating that they removed 'Edd, fetch me a block'. Why did they do this? Show watchers aren't stupid. If they didn't know what a block was, I'm sure they'd figure it out pretty quickly. And if they didn't remember who Edd is, well, just flash the camera on him after Jon gives the order. Really, it is not difficult. Also, has everyone at the Wall forgotten about the Others and the army of the dead?

News travels at ridiculous speeds.

Maisie Williams acted the shit out of the Needle scene. She's one of my favourite actors in the show, partially because she cares enough to actually understand the character she is playing. I am incredibly disappointed to find out that D&D think Needle signifies revenge though. Did they even read the books?

Finally Brienne's not being a bullying arsehole! And she shows some weakness. Huzzah!

Book LF would have killed Show LF by now due to his stupidity. Also, are we really getting the 'jealous ex-gf' thing from Ramsey's ex? Please God no.

Why was Marg being so unnecessarily hostile to Cersei? Is she trying to get herself into trouble? Well-acted, and enjoyable, but seems dumb on Marg's part. Are we meant to be siding with Cersei here? Because while I think Show Cersei is a better character than Book Cersei, she's still meant to be a villain, surely? Also, the sex with Tommen made me very uncomfortable.

High Septon scene was funny. I've given up on criticising the show for pointless female nudity, but did we really need the long gratuitous shot of the prostitute's pubic hair?

Jonathon Pryce seems great as the High Sparrow, but it's going to be a bit weird when he later goes all ISIS.

Overall, pretty good, but lots of room for improvement.

Not sure whether to go with 8 or 9

Arya was quite good, especially Needle--although what moved me most about that may have been remembering the passage from the book.

King's Landing: My reactions to this were very mixed. I don't know if Tommen as sex god is worse than Tommen as cute kid; but I don't care for it. Cersei and Margaery are being

charming and devious, which is as it should be (although they are rather obvious); and the ominous bit where everyone is laughing as Cersei stalks off is good.

I do not like the changes to the High Sparrow storyline very much. Firstly, I don't see the need to turn it into a coup; in the book, it is because the High Sparrow is also the High Septon

that Cersei has to curry his favour. Secondly, and possibly as a consequence, the quid pro quo is missing. Cersei's motives are therefore not entirely clear; I dare say she needs allies,

and perhaps hopes to use the sparrows against Margaery. But why would she join forces with egalitarians? I did like the actor for the High Sparrow.

Winterfell: This may have been the best part. Brienne and Pod were much better. Sansa and Roose were excellent. I don't know (or have forgotten) the identity of the lady who

welcomed Sansa to Winterfell with "The North remembers"; but I really loved that bit.

I did wonder about a couple of things. First, Ramsay. I don't want him to do anything horrible to Sansa; but I don't want him to become harmless, either. My guess is that he is on his

best behaviour as a result of Roose's lecture (which was also very well done). Second, LF: what is he up to? Is he on Bolton's side, or does he really expect Sansa to be able to exact he

revenge (and then he can marry her and rule the North with/through her)? If the latter, how is she supposed to do this? By inspiring the Northerners to rebel?

The Wall continues to be pretty good. Stannis gains from being there (as he did in the books as well); and Davos gets to do something other than say "You said it". JS was good except

for one thing: they left out the part where it looks as though Jon might show mercy and JS goes back to being defiant; this makes the execution much more ambiguous than it is in the books.

Volantis: So so. The brothel scene was too long. The dialogue between Tyrion and the eunuch, of course, was amusing; and I liked the red priestess (plus Valyrian). The cliffhanger

ending was pretty effective.

I guess I'll go with 8.