The micronation of Liberland

SpaceChampion

Apparently this is a thing now. On the Danube, in an unclaimed territory between Croatia and Serbia, access by river to the Black Sea.

Founded by Czech libertarians, applications are pouring in from around the world -- no Nazis or communists allowed. No connections to extremist political organizations allowed.

Anyone is welcome to apply to become a citizen of Liberland, provided they respect the opinions and property of others, and have no connections to extremist political organizations, according to its official charter.

douchey & aporetic.

ETA--

hahaha:

Planting a flag is not enough; the area will have to be settled to have any chance of being recognized internationally, and Serbia and Croatia are unlikely to let that happen.

goodness. picking a fight in the balkans is on the list of greatest all-time blunders. without a permanent population, dude won;t qualify as a state for the purposes of international law. internet registrations probably won't count. someone will have to move there in between the two surliest groups in europa.

Well if people start to move there it might work... but i doubt it sooner or later someone will shut them down. I seem to remember some people trying this before on some island, and than getting expelled by the Tongan army.

I would like a viable libertarian state to exist just so libertarians don't have the excuse of it never being tried before.

As it is at the moment, both Serbia and Croatia are taking the "let the kids play, as long as they're not hurting anyone" stance on this issue.

I'm rather certain neither state think anything will come of this and decided not to bother.

If things ever get a bit more serious, either country can, and I'm sure it will, easily put a stop to it.

I think deciding to pick a fight over land rights in the fucking Balkans basically serves as the final say in any argument over the absolute silliness of libertarianism.

Archived