Rant and Rave without Repercussion [Book Spoilers]

Chebyshov

Of course. The most famous being Hannibal crossing the Alps, although the crossing did kill half his men and there's a reason its considered one of the most impressive military accomplishments of the ancient world. For all we know, perhaps an army heading North with a charismatic enough leader willing to suffer those kinds of losses could also get through the Neck going around Moat Cailin; although the crannogman complicate things even more than anything Hannibal had to deal with.

True and there is Xerxes maneuver around the hot gates, and the Ottomans taking Constantinople where they moved their entire Navy overland....the Vietnamese moving their artillery piece by piece vs the French at Battle of Dien Bien Phu.

The Crannogmen make it impossible, in the books, to move an army around Moat Cailin,

Would the Neck not be deadlier than the Alps? (I must remind myself of the fact the conditions were much, much, much worse than all the times I hiked in the Alps).

Was the most dangerous of the Alps not the cold and the snow, the avalanches, ... Was it during the Winter?

http://winteriscoming.net/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/GOT504_080714_HS_DSC_2781-630x419.jpg

N: "Look! I have tits!"

T: *reverse bitchslap* "I have tits too!"

O: ...idiots. Ohm...

What's with the Sand Snakes doing the Emma Watson's trademarked 'I'm acting' face? Take a deep breath. Rise the chin. Flare nostrils. Act.

well... uhm they go for about 45 secs a romp and do romps until they almost starve/dehydrate lol

Are we talking about lions........ First time attempts? Either way he didn't fancy it.

Lions have foreplay too all claw and bite.

Starvation dehydration doesn't come into the pride, but I am sure they take breaks too feed over the 3 days, undoubtedly a different metabolic rate entirely.

Would the Neck not be deadlier than the Alps? (I must remind myself of the fact the conditions were much, much, much worse than all the times I hiked in the Alps).

Was the most dangerous of the Alps not the cold and the snow, the avalanches, ... Was it during the Winter?

October-November IIRC

Are we talking about lions........ First time attempts? Either way he didn't fancy it.

Lions have foreplay too all claw and bite.

Starvation dehydration doesn't come into the pride, but I am sure they take breaks too feed over the 3 days, undoubtedly a different metabolic rate entirely.

no actually many times they will forgo eating while the lioness is in heat...

I can sort of see it both ways. I actually wish I watched with a show only viewer so I could get a better idea of what is really resonating w/people.

I have a good friend, who I haven't seen in about five years, that I convinced to watch the show knowing it would prompt her to read the books. She can speak LOTR Elvish and has a tattoo of Smaug but has not watched the show, or read the books, because she had the impression they were like Percy Jackson - not that either one of us think there is anything wrong with PJ but she is just a very busy person. Anyway, I think she has just started watching season 3, and started reading Game. I'll tell you some of the things she has asked me about that confused her and comments from things that the show portrayed differently from the books.

• She couldn't understand why Cat had to stay in WF with Robb, who is old enough to run things, and not go with her husband to KL.

She didn't think they explained well enough how the culture treats bastards because of things I explained about Jon

She does want to know who Jon's mother is but I think that's because she is well read and not because the show made it particularly intriguing.

She loves Jon, and knows she is supposed to, but she can't understand why he is so wishy-washy so again I stressed the aging up of characters and how Jon is having a coming of age story. She was surprised because she thought he was supposed to be twenty but looked twenty-five.

She couldn't understand why Bran and Rickon could not just stay in WF since the Ironborn left.

She didn't understand why Luwin told Osha to protect the boys from her own kind [wildlings] since they are all north of the Wall

She thought Dany was fireproof

She loves Tyrion, which is understandable, but she also loves Shae and Tyrion's romance.

So far Cersei has come across the right way to her but I don't think that would have lasted much longer since when Cersei got the nightshade in season 2 she hoped Cersei would poison Joff. (which yes Cersei would poison anyone... anyone but Joff)

She really does not like Robb's wife, and can't believe he would marry someone that he does not know anything about from someplace so far away

She couldn't believe Cat's story about when Jon was sick as a baby, and how she promised to love him but then she just simply couldn't, she wondered why she just couldn't. (I wanted to say "coz reasons" but she wouldn't get it, lol)

She wants to see all of the mythological things beyond the Wall but has not mentioned the CotF and I'm not inclined to bring that up...

She had many, many more comments and questions but they were all very perceptive and she knows to pay attention, to look for clues and to appreciate nuances in characterization. She had me spoil things just enough to intrigue her and she became frustrated and started the books. :D

Archived