Pronunciation Key!

ThePrincess

Well, listening to the audiobook really helped me with this, but Roy's pronunciation of some names changed between books :dunno:

Example: Brienne was first pronounced / bry-een/ but later changed into /bree-an/ also Catelyn was both /kayt-lyn/ and /kat-lyn/ but I think I remember GRRM pronouncing Cat's name in an interview as the first version I've given. I was surprised it wasn't the other one because the short version of her name is Cat, not Cate :dunno: oh, well...

How do you pronounce Lys??? :huh:

Is it Leece? Or Lice? Lis? Or what? ^_^

In the audiobook it's pronounced as the word lice.

Oh and forgot to include Petyr - first it was /p't-eye-'r/ and in later audiobooks it was pronounced as the name Peter. I like the first version better...

ETA: How did CrypticWeirwood get the phonetic transcription letters?

It would be so much easier, not to mention correct to use them. I mean, I has no schwa! :laugh:

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

I'm very inconsistent with my pronunciations :laugh:

Daenerys - I used to pronounce it like in the TV show (De-nerris) but I have to say the way she says it in High Valyrian (Die-nerris) sounds much cooler. By the Latin pronunciation rules, "ae" sounds like e in "men", so the show gives the corrent version. Even so, I like Die-nerris or Day-nerris more.

I never understood why her nickname is "Dany", not "Daeny" (isn't it supposed to be a contraction of her name?). Or why in the show it is pronounced as Danny (and since "Dany" would be Day-knee, her name would be Day-nerris)

maester - my-ster

Aerys - eh-ris

Targaryen - just like in the show

Catelyn - cat-linn

Melisandre - I've heard D&D say it like meh-lee-zandra; before that I used to say it meh-lee-sandruh (in a French sounding way)

Cersei - sir-say

Ygritte - ee-grit

Tywin - tie-win

Tyrion - tee-ree-on

Tyrell - tie-rell

Tytos - tie-tos

Tyrosh - tee-rosh

Margaery - mar-jerry

Myr - like Meera, but without the "a"

Lys - lees

Shae - like in "shame" but without the "m" at the end

Lysa - lie-sah

Redwyne - red-wine

• 3 weeks later...

Jaqen H'ghar is a fun one. "Jaken H(slight pause) gar" The way the actor pronounces it on the show is basically how i say it.

Daenerys will always be "Day-ner-ees" to me. No matter what. I always pronounce the ys part in Targ names as "ees"

Melisandre appears to be pronounced "Meli-sand-ra" But i prefer the e and the end being said as "ay" /shrug

Shireen in the show gave us some fun insight on how the Ae diphthong should be pronounced. "See the A and the E together like that with the G makes a sound like Egg." (on saying Aegon)

I actually made a thread a while ago about pronunciations, because I think it's a lot of fun to see how different people say different words. Some of mine have changed from the ones I initially posted in this thread, but some are the same. Here's the thread if anyone cares, or if anyone thinks it might help their own pronunciation!

http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/82229-pronunciations-you-botched-in-your-head/

I actually made a thread a while ago about pronunciations, because I think it's a lot of fun to see how different people say different words. Some of mine have changed from the ones I initially posted in this thread, but some are the same. Here's the thread if anyone cares, or if anyone thinks it might help their own pronunciation!

http://asoiaf.wester...d-in-your-head/

Yes i posted in that one with a vocaroo. I should do more of those... ;)

Jaqen H'ghar is a fun one. "Jaken H(slight pause) gar" The way the actor pronounces it on the show is basically how i say it.

Daenerys will always be "Day-ner-ees" to me. No matter what. I always pronounce the ys part in Targ names as "ees"

Melisandre appears to be pronounced "Meli-sand-ra" But i prefer the e and the end being said as "ay" /shrug

Shireen in the show gave us some fun insight on how the Ae diphthong should be pronounced. "See the A and the E together like that with the G makes a sound like Egg." (on saying Aegon)

I asked Ran on twitter if that was GRRM's pronunciation and he said no.

Archived