Olly as Jons Squire

Kyrion

Olly makes sense as Jon's squire. As his steward? That is very hard to swallow. I think it's being done to give him access to information that will push him to act "For the Wall" but it really is a misstep, imo.

I hate Olly and want him dead. He's a walking cliche, a double cliche now. Orphan boy taken in by our hero. Part II: Orphan boy betrays our hero.

This is what infuriates me about the show. Yes, I know GRRM created a lot of characters, too many for TV. But, then why does the show continue to invent it's own extraneous characters, who are none of them, okay, Locke was good, but the others are filler.

We don't need Olly and we sure as hell didn't need Olly to fetch the sword.

I hate Olly and want him dead. He's a walking cliche, a double cliche now. Orphan boy taken in by our hero. Part II: Orphan boy betrays our hero.

This is what infuriates me about the show. Yes, I know GRRM created a lot of characters, too many for TV. But, then why does the show continue to invent it's own extraneous characters, who are none of them, okay, Locke was good, but the others are filler.

We don't need Olly and we sure as hell didn't need Olly to fetch the sword.

I don't hate him and I think he was fine as the one who killed Ygritte. Karma and all. But as steward. It's brought my attention to Satin in the books. I wasn't too fussed but I think it's because I hadn't really thought about it. I think this is a definite misstep by Jon, in the books and on the show. At least in the books, it seemed to be done to give Satin protection but Olly needs none of that since his story is so different. In any case, I suppose it's suppose to be a mistake made by Jon to anger the Watch, so I guess it makes sense.

didnt jon call him his steward?

and either way there are people who arent knights who have squires e.g. Tyrion and Pod

Pod as a squire is more like a mockery. It's not like he's the most useful chap (or wasn't at that time).

And Brienne taking him in happened different in book: he went to her because he was looking for Tyrion, and thought that maybe he was with Sansa, whose location Brienne was trying to find. She took him in because he was a kid.

I'm not so sure what the objection is here. For non-readers, they'll certainly be shocked when anyone stabs Jon, Olly or otherwise. And for readers, well, would it be more predictable or less predictable if there was a guy named Bowen Marsh at the wall? Is the problem that they changed a detail but didn't change it enough?

He actually has more motive than most, considering Jon is sympathizing with a group of people who killed and ate his parents.

But yeah 100% it's going to be him.

Agree. The look when Jon said "free folk" telegraphs it. He's going to stab Jon for being a wildling sympathizer. Except he won't say "For the watch", he'll say "For my parents" or "For the potatoes".

He actually has more motive than most, considering Jon is sympathizing with a group of people who killed and ate his parents.

But yeah 100% it's going to be him.

What you say makes sense. But it loses the point of the books. The Wildlings aren't human-eating villains. They're people who needs to escape from their certain death.

Again, D&D make the whole thing be about revenge. It has little to do with it. Jon was stabbed because he was changing the rules of an old outfashioned organization that didn't want to accept they needed to evolve to help each other to survive. Which parallels with Dany being in charge of Meereen, a city that wanted to keep the old elitist cruel establishment of slavery.

What you say makes sense. But it loses the point of the books. The Wildlings aren't human-eating villains. They're people who needs to escape from their certain death.

Again, D&D make the whole thing be about revenge. It has little to do with it. Jon was stabbed because he was changing the rules of an old outfashioned organization that didn't want to accept they needed to evolve to help each other to survive. Which parallels with Dany being in charge of Meereen, a city that wanted to keep the old elitist cruel establishment of slavery.

D&D are horrible, just horrible when it comes to making sense from the books.

Just look at the Stannis offer to Jon - Why would Jon even consider it for one second when he KNOWS Bran and Rickon were alive? He actually mulled over stealing Winterfell from it's rightful heirs and didn't mention such to Stannis. Because that makes sense. Honourable indeed.

You'd think now that Jon is LC, he could (and would) have Ghost roaming free and near him wherever he goes, as opposed to how he used to be penned up by Thorne.

But given how things are going, I'm betting on Olly being the "last" to stab him, for dramatic Brutus effect. If that happens, and they haven't set up Olly's change from fawning admirer and hero-worshiper of Jon, to one of anger and betrayal, that will be even worse. At this point Jon can't even sniff without the camera cutting to Olly.

And lastly, since they've never shown Jon warging at all, I can honestly say that if Ghost gets the Grey Wind treatment in order to allow Mel to save Jon, I'm done with this show.

The show never calls him his squire. He is his steward. Technically, Jon is a lord now, so like Tyrion had Pod for a squire without being a knight, Jon could probably have Olly as his. But, Jon never would, because he doesn't follow the southern customs of knighthood.

I don't know if Olly will actually shiv Jon, but I do think he'll give information to others that will lead to the stabbing.

Need more Ghost and Dolorous Edd.

I dont mind about Olly, really and I even think it's an interesting dynamic if he ends up stabbing Jon ! But I'd get Ben Crompton's voice and Ghost sitting alongside Jon anytime over him !

Archived