Olly as Jons Squire

Kyrion

D&D are horrible, just horrible when it comes to making sense from the books.

Just look at the Stannis offer to Jon - Why would Jon even consider it for one second when he KNOWS Bran and Rickon were alive? He actually mulled over stealing Winterfell from it's rightful heirs and didn't mention such to Stannis. Because that makes sense. Honourable indeed.

He has a good idea that Bran is alive in the books as well. From ASOS:

Had the Thenns hunted him down and killed him after Queenscrown? If so, Bran was lost to him for good and all.

Jon was trying to make sense of that when the horn blew

In the books, he knows Bran survived Winterfell. In the show, he knows Bran got past the Wall. Not that big of a difference.

It wouldn't surprise me if we got "for the North" rather than "for the Watch".

Olly's beef is going to be with Jon leading a large wildling army through his motherland rather a threat from the Boltons.

It wouldn't surprise me if we got "for the North" rather than "for the Watch".

Olly's beef is going to be with Jon leading a large wildling army through his motherland rather a threat from the Boltons.

That's an interesting thought and I could see them doing that. It makes sense, much more sense than Olly saying, "For the Watch!" Either way though, Olly stabbing Jon has so much less emotional resonance than Marsh and co. as the perps. I think the fact that it was betrayal by his own brothers will be central to Jon's post-resurrection issues.

You'd think Jon would have already discussed certain reasonings regarding the free folk with Olly in a paternalistic way, considering he knows what happened to his parents. I would hope that they have some type of conversation well before FTW once Jon's dispositions become more clear. That way at least they can setup some bit of reasoning and tension behind Olly's sudden change from hero worshipper to betrayer. Or at the very least show Olly scowling or fuming during certain discussions about the free folk. Right now, he's all smiles.

You'd think Jon would have already discussed certain reasonings regarding the free folk with Olly in a paternalistic way, considering he knows what happened to his parents. I would hope that they have some type of conversation well before FTW once Jon's dispositions become more clear. That way at least they can setup some bit of reasoning and tension behind Olly's sudden change from hero worshipper to betrayer. Or at the very least show Olly scowling or fuming during certain discussions about the free folk. Right now, he's all smiles.

And nods

To be fair, we had "The North Remembers" to Sansa in episode three. Though who that woman even was beats me. Barbrey Dustin? Random survivor of Winterfell sacking? Lyanna Stark reincarnate? And what the North remembers, if they've cut out Manderly and White Harbour, who knows.

Where is my Dolorous Edd?!?!??!? :bang: :angry2: :angry: Fair enough, if Olly's going to pull a Bowen Marsh on Jon, I can understand him being Jon's steward. But where is the need to cut out Edd?! The worst part is that the actor is sitting right there, just waiting for the hilarity that will doubtless ensue whenever he delivers any of his lines. Don't put him in the damn scene if you're not going to use him, it's torturous! They're happy to put in tiny details like Stannis' nodding to Jon after performing Janos' cranioectomy yet they cut out the only line in the series more chilling than "only Cat" ( :tantrum: ). Where is the need?!

I'm not sure I'd call Stannis nodding to Jon a tiny detail. It communicates a ton about their relationship in only a few seconds.

Short of Tormund and maybe a couple others, none of whom are Thenns, Jon and the Night's Watch killed all the Wildlings who killed and ate Olly's parents. Doesn't mean Olly won't stab, but should. Guess his young mind won't be able to decipher that.

Jon said something about keeping your enemies closer.

I think he considers Olly to be just that. A steward is in the room with him at all times.

He wants to keep an eye on the little pipsqueak that whacked his wildling.

Stannis told that after jon had already appointed olly

Yeah and it still fits.

Stannis is the one to advise sending enemies away.

Jon works with the "enemies closer" philosophy and the closest person to him actually is Olly.

In fact, if you remember, the second trailer has Jon saying "Winter is coming. We know what's coming with it. We can learn to live with the wildlings or we can add them to the army of the dead"

He's talking to Olly, who has probably expressed concern about the wildlings.

If Olly stabs Jon as a solo mission, who will he nod at afterwards? There will have to be at least one more person involved in the plot, to be the recipient of the nod if nothing else. But who would it be, Allister Thorne, or someone we don't expect?

Of course it's not just Olly, in fact I'm sure it'll start with Alliser Thorne and a couple of extras before Olly shows up landing the final blow.

It's been mentioned a couple of times that Jon has many enemies, so it's not just Alliser Thorne either. Olly will join them after Jon loses many brothers of the NW just to save some wildlings in Hardhome (according to them an uneccessary mission).

I went to go reread Janos' execution in the books and ran into something. I'm not sure this has been brought up here. Forgive me if it has.

Half the morning passed before Lord Janos reported as commanded. Jon was cleaning Longclaw. Some men would have given that task to a steward or a squire, but Lord Eddard had taught his sons to care for their own weapons. When Kegs and Dolorous Edd arrived with Slynt, Jon thanked them and bid Lord Janos sit.

-Jon I, ADWD, right before "fetch me a block"

"Olly, get me my sword."

Sometimes, I wonder if they're just trying to screw with book fans.

Edit: I'm wrong about this one, because Theon did bear to Ice for Ned all the way back in the Pilot. I think it's still interesting to point out the relationship Jon should have with his sword, since it's not really brought up much with a google search.

I hate Olly and want him dead. He's a walking cliche, a double cliche now. Orphan boy taken in by our hero. Part II: Orphan boy betrays our hero.

This is what infuriates me about the show. Yes, I know GRRM created a lot of characters, too many for TV. But, then why does the show continue to invent it's own extraneous characters, who are none of them, okay, Locke was good, but the others are filler.

We don't need Olly and we sure as hell didn't need Olly to fetch the sword.

amen!!! :bowdown:

Archived