So if Brienne is "going around" Moat Callen...

OP, I seriously doubt it. If they introduce HR, it will be like an episode before he tells Jon about his parentage. They don't include a character until they have an important reason for it (see the re-introduction of Ser Dontos). Having HR meet Brienne doesn't forward any specific plot.

The show ignores geography and the time it would take to realistically travel places all the time, so I expect they will just end up in the north with no explanation of how they got there.

Too true - I thought it was funny on my rewatch how LF & Sansa got from Moat Cailen to Winterfell during a scene transition. Doesn't that trip take a month at least??

They don't have the time to waste. we have now completed 43 episodes out of a total of 70 for the entire series. to which GRRM has not completed the last 2 books out of 7 and some think it will take 3 more making it 8. They wasted 2 seasons on book 3 when they could have compressed it into 1 like they should have. Now, they are trying to ram 2 books into one season. That is why so many other stories are being scrapped or side mentioned, such as The Riverlands, The Iron Born and a condensed Dorne,

Too true - I thought it was funny on my rewatch how LF & Sansa got from Moat Cailen to Winterfell during a scene transition. Doesn't that trip take a month at least??

Cersei's letter got from King's Landing to the Eyrie and then by rider from the Eyrie to Winterfell in a scene transition. Certainly one can assume that some time passed, but it's ~1,700 miles from King's Landing to Winterfell. Littlefinger has been traveling across Westeros on his private jet since season 2 though so maybe they just borrowed it.

OP, I seriously doubt it. If they introduce HR, it will be like an episode before he tells Jon about his parentage. They don't include a character until they have an important reason for it (see the re-introduction of Ser Dontos). Having HR meet Brienne doesn't forward any specific plot.

It would introduce us to Howland for the first time, showing us where he lives, so when/if Bran contacts him through visions, it won't seem contrived and it will make sense. . We want Howland to get straight to the big reveal with Bran. We don't want to have to deal with a long introduction. A scene with Brienne can handle that for us. I don't think Brienne will find out the truth about Jon. Why would HR tell her?

Unsullied aren't stupid. I think you are mistaking casual viewer and regular Unsullied.

I'm not saying they are stupid. I'm just saying they're not as into the story as we are.

How many times do Unsullied watch each episode. If we say the casual fan watches once, then unsullied watch it 2 or 3 times?

Idk I don't they would know who Jojen and Meera are by name.

Cersei's letter got from King's Landing to the Eyrie and then by rider from the Eyrie to Winterfell in a scene transition. Certainly one can assume that some time passed, but it's ~1,700 miles from King's Landing to Winterfell. Littlefinger has been traveling across Westeros on his private jet since season 2 though so maybe they just borrowed it.

Yep. Gulfstream

This makes logical sense.....hence, it is destined to never occur on-screen

Pretty much this. Jojen and Meera's introduction was the most ham-fisted one of any secondary character IMO. Casual viewers must view them as some sort of Clobber Girl and Stretch Dude (tricky magical boy and his badass protector-sister), and having their father appear before the book timeline does is just not D&D's style. Unless they want to screw George with a huge spoiler, i don't see this happening.

Im not going to get into how they may run into Howland Reed but if it happens I would imagine a few lines of dialog could clear up who he is. All Brienne has to do is mention the name Stark and he can be like "oh my children are with two of the Stark boys" also revealing that they arent dead. This could then lead to convo regarding Robb's death and his heir to the throne. Which would then bring up Jon and his parentage assuming R+ L = J is fact. Really wouldnt take much more than 5 minutes of screen time and would most likely be followed by a Jon scene.

The mother of all book spoilers in "a few lines of dialog." This website would melt a hole to the Earth's core.

Sort of demoralizing that a handful of the suggestions on here are more than likely much better than what we'll get. I'm personally not expecting Howland Reed, Wyman Manderly, the Quiet Isle, or any of that stuff this season. We'll probably just get Brienne&Pod arriving near Winterfell with no particulars about how they got there, then some more junk about a shadow with the face of Stannis Baratheon.

The mother of all book spoilers in "a few lines of dialog." This website would melt a hole to the Earth's core.

Not even that - though that is true as well. It's one of the central mysteries to the story - I don't think it would be resolved in an off meeting somewhere in the marshes. the scene itself wouldn't have to taken 15 minutes, but that might be where they (somehow) bring in the Tower of Joy memory from Ned, the fight, etc.

Sort of demoralizing that a handful of the suggestions on here are more than likely much better than what we'll get. I'm personally not expecting Howland Reed, Wyman Manderly, the Quiet Isle, or any of that stuff this season. We'll probably just get Brienne&Pod arriving near Winterfell with no particulars about how they got there, then some more junk about a shadow with the face of Stannis Baratheon.

They are going to get there by riding their horses. Its not complicated.

It would introduce us to Howland for the first time, showing us where he lives, so when/if Bran contacts him through visions, it won't seem contrived and it will make sense. . We want Howland to get straight to the big reveal with Bran. We don't want to have to deal with a long introduction. A scene with Brienne can handle that for us. I don't think Brienne will find out the truth about Jon. Why would HR tell her?

My point is that it is WAYY to early for them to show us HR if he's not going to be doing something of substance until next Season. The example is Dontos. They brought him back literally one episode before he was needed again for the plot. The first time he was introduced was also plot relavent - They needed someone for Joffery to torture and Sansa to save. You have to ask yourself, what would be the purpose of HR to the Brienne/Pod story? If there isn't one, then it's not going to happen.

And they don't do this this because "viewers are dumb" - when you're watching a show, you aren't going to remember some random character you saw in one scene more than a year ago - it's not like reading the books where you can thumb back a few pages to refresh your memory.

2 people could probably bypass it without too much trouble. Moving an army w/ logistics train around outside the reach of alerted defenders is a lot harder than 2 people skirting it. There's enough solid ground for Crannogmen to harry the Ironborn holding Moat Calain. At worst, crannogmen stop them, she says she's sworn to Lady Stark and they figure it's no problem of theirs if someone who doesn't want the Boltons to know she are coming to get by. They can't be fans of Warden Bolton.

As others have noted, it's hardly in the top 20 of transportation feats on the show.

I was sort of hoping Littlefinger was going to bring Sansa to Howland Reed, not Winterfell. He would certainly know that Howland was Ned's buddy from the war and that it's a good hiding place to get away from the rest of the Seven Kingdoms. Having Harrenhal (eventually, one presumes, in his plans), the Vale, and a secret ally in the Neck who can significantly hinder North-South traffic isn't a bad spot.

But I knew they wouldn't. If Howland was going to be important now, the Reeds would have told the tournament story...and explained it to Bran/us. Probably a couple lines when Theon "took" Moat Calain from the Ironborn, too, about how the crannogmen were diehard Stark loyalists and wouldn't leave them along for what Theon did to Bran/Rickon.

Also, in response to another comment I saw above, is there a reason, book or show, to suspect that Howland Reed knows the Stark boys live? It would be hard for Rickon to get him a message, and based on Bran's reaction to the tournament story, I don't think he would have any way to know to do so. Certainly don't recall / see how the Reeds did/ would have sent word before fleeing northward.

Also, in response to another comment I saw above, is there a reason, book or show, to suspect that Howland Reed knows the Stark boys live? It would be hard for Rickon to get him a message, and based on Bran's reaction to the tournament story, I don't think he would have any way to know to do so. Certainly don't recall / see how the Reeds did/ would have sent word before fleeing northward.

Not unless Howland also has prophetic dreams like his son or he's a greenseer himself :dunno:

Also, two words: Fire Swamp! :P

If the "Previously on Game of Thrones" lead in shows Jojen and Meera, then you'll know your answer to whether Howland will show up that episode.

Just like they set up Loras showing up in episode one this year.

I always assumed they would figure out a different way to reveal Jon's parentage on the show, like having Bran see it in a vision somehow, to create the dramatic irony of the audience knowing while Jon himself still doesn't. However, when she said she was going around, it raised an eyebrow for me that's all. I even still think it's unlikely they'll introduce HR in the show at all (though I would like to see a castle that moves if nothing else), however for the sake of argument if I was right about the dramatic irony angle this would be a perfect time for them to do that. After all, at this point it appears that Brienne is on a collision course with Stannis and Melisandre, and maybe even Jon himself depending on how things work out, it could make for an interesting way to end the season. I don't think we'll get a pink letter, but I do think Jon will get some sort of information that will result in him being betrayed. I dunno, we're walking into the void here, so it's hard to predict anything with certainty.

Archived