[Book Spoilers] Thoughts on the High Sparrow

That guy Alistair

I have to admit watching the promotional material for this season I wasn't particularly caring about the High Sparrows addition (well except for a certain later scene at the end of the season). But I was really impressed by his scene in this episode. Stuck out to me in a strong way. Different to the high sparrow I had in mind from the books, this one appearing softer and more docile from the start. Really looking forward watching him gain political power while being the kinda old man, to the fanatic who condemns the queen to her punishment. Whats your thoughts on the introduction to the High Sparrow ?

I have to admit watching the promotional material for this season I wasn't particularly caring about the High Sparrows addition (well except for a certain later scene at the end of the season). But I was really impressed by his scene in this episode. Stuck out to me in a strong way. Different to the high sparrow I had in mind from the books, this one appearing softer and more docile from the start. Really looking forward watching him gain political power while being the kinda old man, to the fanatic who condemns the queen to her punishment. Whats your thoughts on the introduction to the High Sparrow ?

dat foreshadowing doe.... ;)

Yeah, he's different from the books. A lot less militant, and actually seems to care about people rather than punishing sinners as he does in the books. Will be interesting, I think!

I like how they seem to be giving him a Pope Francis vibe. That was my first impression, at least.

Yeah, for me too. And Pryce does look a bit like Pope Francis (he also looks a lot like Donald Sumpter, who played Luwyn, incidentally)

This is typical D&D writing, they'll make him do a shocking 180 when he arrests Cersei. I'm guessing his "No" will be even more surprising than in the books if they keep his zealot side hidden.

I'm okay with it, so far.

Not what I expected at all. Doesn't scream religious nut, and I didn't see it being that realistic that this man would command his men to burst into a brothel and torture people. I wanted more of a zealot then that.

He's probably just hiding it from Cersei. His zealot side will come out sooner or later

Not what I expected at all. Doesn't scream religious nut, and I didn't see it being that realistic that this man would command his men to burst into a brothel and torture people. I wanted more of a zealot then that.

I thought he said something along the lines of people being provoked into doing it... "I.e., I didn't order them too but it's understandable..." the old terrorist's excuse. He of course lies as he breathes, note his comments on being called the High Sparrow.

Which bodes well.

Some were saying here in the UK that they'd spotted Gendry among the sparrows... Any takers?

And finally, at least he's not Howland Reed!!!

I'm really hoping that the turn around at the end of the season won't be out of no where. Knowing that subtlety isn't D&D strength, I would like to see small growing hints of his underlying fanaticism through out the season, the kind where when unsullied rewatch will be screaming out 'We should have seen it from the start!'. Think it will be a great way to play this kindly old man to militant player.

Yeah, for me too. And Pryce does look a bit like Pope Francis (he also looks a lot like Donald Sumpter, who played Luwyn, incidentally)

This is typical D&D writing, they'll make him do a shocking 180 when he arrests Cersei. I'm guessing his "No" will be even more surprising than in the books if they keep his zealot side hidden.

I'm okay with it, so far.

Yep. I couldn't have described my own thoughts any better

I don't know about him being docile, he had his guys beat the High Septon and march him naked through the street. I think they should have foreshadowed the Sparrows a little bit last season. His people are also not armed at least openly like they were in the books. We do know that Lancel is one of them, I thought he was one of the guys who went after the High Septon. I think the High Sparrow was honestly suprised that Cersei came to him and even more suprised that she sided with him. I have to repeat that the main thing weakening this plot is that the story hasn't touched very much on the role the Faith plays in things. I think they might combine Meribalds character with the High Sparrow, so I think he will be a little different form the one in the books, who a lot of people seem to misunderstand.

I'm rather disappointed with him so far. What I liked about the book High Sparrow was his relentless determination and proactive methods. The book HS stormed the sept of Baelor, forcibly took the High Septonship, forced Cersei to come to him, and called her out on her government's failure to protect the Faith. On the other hand, the show version is remarkably meek. Cersei basically hands the High Septonship to him on a silver platter.

Did anyone catch the look he gave Cersei when she said that the High Septon was in in the dungeon? Especially when she says something about the Faith and the Crown doing anything necessary to protect one another.

It was a golden moment, or should I say rough-spun?

I'm rather disappointed with him so far. What I liked about the book High Sparrow was his relentless determination and proactive methods. The book HS stormed the sept of Baelor, forcibly took the High Septonship, forced Cersei to come to him, and called her out on her government's failure to protect the Faith. On the other hand, the show version is remarkably meek. Cersei basically hands the High Septonship to him on a silver platter.

Yes but that is the beauty of it. As in the books Cersei is making a big mistake in her dealings with the Sparrows. In the show they do not have the time to develop the back story of the Faith Militant and show how stupid Cersei's decision to arm them really is so they are changing it to her stupidity in thinking that this High Sparrow is the meek and docile creature he appears to be. He has already told her that it doesn't matter who we are the faith applies to everyone so when he finds out she is a sinner he will apply the law equally to her.

Yes but that is the beauty of it. As in the books Cersei is making a big mistake in her dealings with the Sparrows. In the show they do not have the time to develop the back story of the Faith Militant and show how stupid Cersei's decision to arm them really is so they are changing it to her stupidity in thinking that this High Sparrow is the meek and docile creature he appears to be. He has already told her that it doesn't matter who we are the faith applies to everyone so when he finds out she is a sinner he will apply the law equally to her.

I agree. I think it's interesting that, even with the drastic change to show Cercei's character, it sure looks as if the show is setting up her downfall and Walk of Shame to be things that will come about through her own mistakes in dealing with the Faith. More "ending up in the same place" but taking different routes to get there, I guess.

Did anyone catch the look he gave Cersei when she said that the High Septon was in in the dungeon? Especially when she says something about the Faith and the Crown doing anything necessary to protect one another.

It was a golden moment, or should I say rough-spun?

I didn't, but will re-watch specifically for this

Jonathan Pryce's performance as the HiSpa is one of the best parts of the season. Yes, he is kind of different from the book version and the Sparrow movement kind of pops out of nowhere (one of the many defects of the show this season). But it will be interesting seeing him turn around and play the Calvinist fanatic later on and behold the contrast.

I liked the portrayal of the High Sparrow so far, although he is different from the book. Pryce plays him very well, and he could manage well to show this nice old man becoming a much more threatening force in King's Landing.

What I didn't like what the extreme contrast between the two HSs - one is playing kinky sex games in a brothel, mocking his own religion (not even the Borgias would have done something like that) the other is giving away his shoes to the needy. I mean, come on, this was ridiculous and cheap. I hope later scenes with the High Sparrow will make up for that nonsense.

Jonathan Pryce's performance as the HiSpa is one of the best parts of the season. Yes, he is kind of different from the book version and the Sparrow movement kind of pops out of nowhere (one of the many defects of the show this season). But it will be interesting seeing him turn around and play the Calvinist fanatic later on and behold the contrast.

Fingers crossed the show avoids leaving Price in that lovable, forgiving Grandpa role neglecting the militant/harsh nature of the HS.

Archived