The wall consists of a living ice dragon

Feels like magic is almost a season to me. Possible something like the comet, or something else... Like on Earth the rotation/tilt dictates how hot or wet certain areas are and makes the seasons happen.

Similar, the movements out in space affect their world with "magical" seasons. Others, Dragons, Warlock stuff, etc... all becoming more active due to some natural phenomena.

If so, maybe dragons are going to start hatching on their own, putting to lie the "magic formulas" (blood and fire, death for life)?

I don't think there is some Ice Dragon. That would be too much of a "Deus ex Machina" for my liking.

GRRM is all about careful foreshadowing. There has not even been a slight HINT of there being a dragon in the wall.

If the wall comes down and a magic dragon pops up out of nowhere with no foreshadowing or warning, that would be lazy writing on GRRM's part, something he doesn't do.

"The wall protects itself, like it is alive".

Which makes fans go "Alive == Dragon!!"

Even if the Wall is built of living entities, why does it have to be dragons? I mean, dragons have consistently been referred to as "fire made flesh". That is their defining characteristic. Even if "Ice made flesh" was a thing, why would it just happen to take a form comparable to a dragon? Why can't ice creatures be different from fire creatures? Even if they aren't, what are the taxonomic reasons for giving them the same name?

I'd rather have the wall turn out to be built of grumkins and snarks. That would make for a pretty cool twist.

Dragon theories, dragon theories everywhere. I prefer to think Dany's dragons are unique and that their presence in the world influences and strengthens other magic, such as that which imbues the wall.

I think your mixing up cause and effect. While the dragons may influence fire magic, it seems to me the comet signaled the return of magic.

I don't think there is some Ice Dragon. That would be too much of a "Deus ex Machina" for my liking.

GRRM is all about careful foreshadowing. There has not even been a slight HINT of there being a dragon in the wall.

If the wall comes down and a magic dragon pops up out of nowhere with no foreshadowing or warning, that would be lazy writing on GRRM's part, something he doesn't do.

You mean. You haven't noticed any foreshadowing, or non to your liking.

• 2 weeks later...

There is definitely ice dragons.

For those who say no hints suggest this, it's mentioned in a dance of ice dragons being spotted further north. And most of the times when ice dragons are mentioned, they are associated with the wall.

That's a fair amount of evidence.

Very interresting !

"The road beneath the Wall was as dark and cold as the belly of an ice dragon and as twisty as a serpent." Jon VIII, ADWD

It's a little bit crazy though... the wall is about 1000 miles long.

But perhaps the ice dragon doesn't lie all along...

• 3 months later...

I don't think there is some Ice Dragon.  That would be too much of a "Deus ex Machina" for my liking.

GRRM is all about careful foreshadowing.  There has not even been a slight HINT of there being a dragon in the wall.  

um in aDwD I dont have quotes but i believe jon on three different occasions thinks about ice dragons and compares the cold to their breath he also says walking on the wall feel like walking through and ice dragons stomach or something and said old nan told him stories about ice dragons and old nan is riht alot soooo there has been forshadowing alot of mentions of ice dragons lately i'd like to think given the time it took to make the wall maybe an ice dragons breath was involved?

There is definitely ice dragons.
For those who say no hints suggest this, it's mentioned in a dance of ice dragons being spotted further north. And most of the times when ice dragons are mentioned, they are associated with the wall.
That's a fair amount of evidence.

I agree.  Sam wonders if Silverwing left a cache of eggs.  The wall is consistently personified (way beyond just writing skills).  The wall weeps, it's salty when a drop falls on Bran, the wall protects itself.  Hell the Wall being described as weeping is in the very first few pages of the Prologue on AGoT.   Lots of nods to it being possible.  And I've always thought the dragon horn and the horn of J were one in the same. 

There's also this, suppose Dany and her dragons get to the Wall and burn the wights and Others, those fires would destroy all the landscaping and so many innocents.  Similar to the fire in one of the D&E stories.  An Ice Dragon could put out the fires once they've done their job mitigating the damage and loss of life. 

Of course their is a ice dragon in the wall! I figured though Sam will get eggs at the citadel to bring back to the wall and hatch. In the tragedy at summerhall for example maybe Aegon5 tried hatching ice dragons unbeknownst in fire which is why it didn't work. Give bran an ice dragon !

Ice dragons come from cold water, fire dragons from stone eggs and sea dragons from the ice of the wall.

I have a whole series on ice dragons on my blog in signature link. Bran is going to be Winter the ice dragon, and it is from Winter, of whom The Winds Blow.

There are three ice dragons. One collosal one.

The stone dragon is made of ice. My recent post lSo Long Night: Winter is Birthing" has a synopsis of all of the posts.

There are 11 occurrences from the books referencing ICE DRAGON:

ASOIAF ACOK 35  Bran Stark 1 "Look for the ICE DRAGON, and chase the blue star in the rider's eye."

ASOIAF ASOS 24 Bran II Bran Stark 1 "When they lost their way, as happened once or twice, they need only wait for a clear cold night when the clouds did not intrude, and look up in the sky for the ICE DRAGON."

ASOIAF ASOS 26 Jon IV Jon Snow 1 "Maester Luwin had taught him his stars as a boy in Winterfell; he had learned the names of the twelve houses of heaven and the rulers of each; he could find the seven wanderers sacred to the Faith; he was old friends with the ICE DRAGON, the Shadowcat, the Moonmaid, and the Sword of the Morning."

ASOIAF ASOS 41 Jon VI Jon Snow 1 "Jon searched the sky until he found the ICE DRAGON, then turned the mare north for the Wall and Castle Black."

ASOIAF ASOS 46 Samwell III Samwell Tarly 1 "By day he took directions from the sun, and on clear nights they could follow the ICE DRAGON's tail, though they hadn't traveled much by night since the second horse had died."

ASOIAF ASOS 63 Davos VI Davos Seaworth 1 "The clouds hid most of the ICE DRAGON, all but the bright blue eye that marked due north."

ASOIAF ASOS 64 Jon IX Jon Snow 1 " it felt like walking down the gullet of an ICE DRAGON."

ASOIAF ADWD 35 Jon VII Jon Snow 1 "The wind was gusting, cold as the breath of the ICE DRAGON in the tales Old Nan had told when Jon was a boy."

ASOIAF ADWD 39 Jon VIII Jon Snow 1 "The road beneath the Wall was as dark and cold as the belly of an ICE DRAGON and as twisty as a serpent."

ASOIAF ADWD 49 Jon X Jon Snow 1 "The snowfall was light today, a thin scattering of flakes dancing in the air, but the wind was blowing from the east along the Wall, cold as the breath of the ICE DRAGON in the tales Old Nan used to tell."

D&E DE 2 The Sworn Sword Duncan The Tall 1" But there were clouds to the north, and the blue eye of the ICE DRAGON was lost to him, the blue eye that pointed north."

Will Jon ride a Ice dragon?? Is the pond (water) at Winterfell the ice dragon itself?? Who knows but we do know GRRM loves foreshadowing

Archived