"And a girl knows his name" (book spoilers)

The Dames do Moan

Its just part of Jaqens magical powers, hes a mindreader aswell. Why not? He already has tons more abilities in the show than the books, who cares right?

Exactly. He can change skin color and voice, and not just his face apparently. Maybe Syrio ripped his face off in front of Trant and said if speak one word of this, you are a dead man? Just kidding. That's a D&D "shock value" wet dream idea.

The question is, can Faceless Men change their bodies as well as their faces? Syrio was probably a full head shorter than JH.

I've often wondered this about the FM too, just generally how much they can change their appearances beyond their faces. Can they change their weight or height or their overall skin color? I guess they can on the show since the elderly guy who opened the door at the HOBAW didn't have white skin on his hands. It seems like there is a bit of glamoring happening.

If one reads Ugly Little Girl it's very mysterious about what the FM do in 'face changing'.

Arya , from the inside, does not preceive that her face has changed yet to 'outsiders' it's not Arya.

Read the chapter.

If one reads Ugly Little Girl it's very mysterious about what the FM do in 'face changing'.

Arya , from the inside, does not preceive that her face has changed yet to 'outsiders' it's not Arya.

Read the chapter.

Yeah I love that chapter. That's a good example - Arya doesn't really know what's entirely going on with the process herself.

So it's God of Death vs Lord of Light.

Nah, there's only 1 God - Death. Lord of Light would be doomed before they even got started, because they don't exist :D

I'm not normally a book is better ranter and raver (I generally stand against it) but not having the priest in the House of Black and White initially having a skull face with worms was a big mistake, to me, as it showed that for an instant, Arya saw the faceless men as they truly were - dead, rotten, broken flesh.

I'm still hoping there is a lot more gothic and Lovecraftian stuff going on beneath the surface in ASoIaF/GoTs - that we only see every now and then but will become very relevant by the conclusion.

I've always wondered why Jaqen was in King's Landing to begin with. Why was he arrested? It's possible Jaqen and Syrio are the same person. We never actually saw Syrio die onscreen.

That's always been a long running mystery. How could a FM be in the Black Cells unless that's where he wanted to be? Consider this from a recent interview with Wlaschina:

"A deeper game is also afoot, however. It turns out that Jaqen may have put himself in Ayra's path on purpose. Wlaschiha explains, "Jaqen sees something in Arya. That's why he hooked up with her in the first place. That's why they met. I don't think it was accidental. It was a bigger plan. By whom? We'll still have to find out. But they didn't meet randomly. He sees something in her and tries to teach her things so that she can become someone maybe... or no one.""

It's something I have always suspected that some power , in Braavos?, the Iron Bank?, someone in Essos?, noticed that not only was Arya extraordinary but also High Born. Arya just an uber-assissin I don't think so, agree with Wlaschiha there is a bigger plan.

That's always been a long running mystery. How could a FM be in the Black Cells unless that's where he wanted to be? Consider this from a recent interview with Wlaschina:

"A deeper game is also afoot, however. It turns out that Jaqen may have put himself in Ayra's path on purpose. Wlaschiha explains, "Jaqen sees something in Arya. That's why he hooked up with her in the first place. That's why they met. I don't think it was accidental. It was a bigger plan. By whom? We'll still have to find out. But they didn't meet randomly. He sees something in her and tries to teach her things so that she can become someone maybe... or no one.""

It's something I have always suspected that some power , in Braavos?, the Iron Bank?, someone in Essos?, noticed that not only was Arya extraordinary but also High Born. Arya just an uber-assissin I don't think so, agree with Wlaschiha there is a bigger plan.

Or is it Ned, who hired Syrio Forel to train Arya, who already saw the full potential of his daughter?

Or is it Ned, who hired Syrio Forel to train Arya, who already saw the full potential of his daughter?

It is interesting that Syrio was (is?) a Braavosi?

Even if Syrio is NOT Jaqen, there could be a connection.

Would not surpass me , in the books, to see Syrio again.

I've wondered that too and thought that interview with Wlaschiha really interesting but it just seems like there would have been more efficient less risky ways to reach Arya than by getting arrested, imprisoned, given to the Watch, and hoping Arya also travels with the Watch. I'm not saying that whatever Jaqen did that ended him up in the Watch's custody wasn't intentional (I love the image of Jaqen up at the Wall!) but it just seems like a really strange way to reach Arya. I'm not sure we will ever know the reason for this.

I think that the FM are recruiting Arya, not to become just another faceless assassin but in the Great War to come with the WhiteWalkers. I know its just one of those fan theories but things have to start coming together and I think that the FM are somehow in league with the Children of the Forest and Bloodraven. Just as Bloodraven is recruiting Bran the FM are recruiting Arya. That is why I think her meeting Jacqen and all that has happened since is not just a coincidence. Which side they will be on or even if there will be sides,I do not know.

:agree: The door to the HoBaW is half ebony and half weirwood. It's possible the FM acquired the weirwood through trade or conquest, but I have a feeling it was a gift from one trusted ally to another -- an alliance that might have started way back during the Long Night.

And then when you stop to consider that the maesters use ravens to communicate, and children can warg into ravens, you have a possible third member of the alliance, which is probably playing a very long game here.

Yes, there is a reason that has not come forth yet as to why and how a faceless man ended up in the black cells. Unless, there was a prophecy about current events that the faceless men followed.

I, for one, didnt really see the point of the line... In D&D's place, I would have given the explanation that the Many Faced God is actually a representation of all the beliefs and faiths in the world rather than winking at Syrio's catchphrase.

I think that the FM are recruiting Arya, not to become just another faceless assassin but in the Great War to come with the WhiteWalkers. I know its just one of those fan theories but things have to start coming together and I think that the FM are somehow in league with the Children of the Forest and Bloodraven. Just as Bloodraven is recruiting Bran the FM are recruiting Arya. That is why I think her meeting Jacqen and all that has happened since is not just a coincidence. Which side they will be on or even if there will be sides,I do not know.

In the books Jaqen knows Arya is Arya of House Stark and in fact tells her so like three times, as far as I remember she never admits who she is to him, she does not deny it either. When she reaches Braavos the KM , who seeming is not Jaqen (a real 'no one') knows she is Arya Stark she didn't tell him.

On the show , I think, 'Jaqen' as he leaves her, and he has never addressed her this way, says "Goodby Arya Stark".

The show kind of blurs this since Wlaschiha shows up again (in Braavos) tho not as Jaqen. Still it's Wlaschiha who points out there may be some long game in play. It will be interesting to see what Arya's final scene is in Episode 10.

Archived