Thoughts on Jon as commander?

robasp2

Jon sees the bigger picture as she saw and other and has seen the white walkers, he also understands that everyone North of the wall will eventually have to be fought unless they can come south peaceable and help hold it. However, he is young and everyone knows he took a wildiing lover etc.. The Watch is not what it once used to be. Knights joined out of honor and now, they get the dregs of society.

If you watch it carefully, when Jon is talking about letrines or something like that, Ser Alliser moves his head, like thinking "I'm going to have to do this shit because this little prick hates me". But then, Jon names him First Ranger, and he looks quite surprised. Even pleased.

When Jon orders Janos to be taken, Ser Alliser stands up, and he looks at Janos, clearly dissapointed. He knows Janos to be a fool, but a powerful one, that's why he kept him around.

Ser Alliser is one of those minor characters heavily improved in comparision to the book version.

When thinking about the votes, you have to think that, at the beginning, there were only two contendes, and Ser Alliser was the frontrunner. So, Jon's votes must have come from nearly half of Ser Denys Mallister men, and a few Alliser supporters.

Didn't take this as a happy Jon got told off smile. More of a you just signed your own death warrant Slynt smile.

Exactly, and I don't think Allistair had any use for Slynt after hearing about his cowardice.

Thinking you are the best man for the job and thinking it is your turn are two very different things.

I too am of the opinion that Ser Aliser is improved on the show, the pre battle speech was epic. I also thought he did his own mentoring to Jon atop the wall before the battle about how a commander cant show doubts or all below him will fall apart.

Archived