Diet Pepsi soon without aspartame in the US.

SpaceChampion

How ridiculous.

When I worked at Yoplait the fruit that got mixed with the base (plain yogurt) was sweetened with aspartame. Good luck eating fruit yogurts (whether diet or full fat) made with unsweetened fruit as you'll be surprised by how dull and flat they taste.

So that's why Yoplait is so delicious

I've drunken enough diet soda that Aspartame feels rather normal as a taste to me, compared to regular soda's sweetness. That said, I wouldn't mind more variety in the use of artificial sweetners - Splenda has its charms.

How ridiculous.

When I worked at Yoplait the fruit that got mixed with the base (plain yogurt) was sweetened with aspartame. Good luck eating fruit yogurts (whether diet or full fat) made with unsweetened fruit as you'll be surprised by how dull and flat they taste.

The U.S. versions of Yoplait have a light one that is aspartame-sweetened and some others than use sugar. I also get a bitter aftertaste from aspartame and avoid it. Stevia is also terrible. So far, I haven't found a sugar substitute that isn't awful or doesn't need sugar to mask its flavor. I miss the half-sugar versions of sodas that were briefly available.

Kat - As I've said before, stevia in half-sugar drinks leads to something that tastes as good as the original, only slightly less sweet but without any artificial quality. Aside from in Coke Life, it's mainly being used as a sugar substitute in health food shops. It comes from a plant with ten times the sweetness level of sugar, so it has to be used very sparingly, but it has no calories.

Kat - As I've said before, stevia in half-sugar drinks leads to something that tastes as good as the original, only slightly less sweet but without any artificial quality. Aside from in Coke Life, it's mainly being used as a sugar substitute in health food shops. It comes from a plant with ten times the sweetness level of sugar, so it has to be used very sparingly, but it has no calories.

The stevia-only sodas I've had have been awful. I've never had Coke Life, but I'll look for it. What I usually do at soda fountains is mix Coke and Coke Zero so that I can have some sugar to mask the aspartame. I can usually tolerate about a 1:2 regular:diet ratio with aspartame-based diet sodas. All except for diet citrus flavored sodas. I can't tell the difference between diet 7-up and regular. Go figure.

The hysteria against aspartame is as lacking in credibility as thinking autism is caused by vaccinations, but Pepsi is bowing to pressure from the chemical purity crowd.

Isn't it bowing to the market with a 5% decrease in sales of diet Pepsi and a 6% decrease in sales of diet Coke it seem the market is talking, not the chemical purity lobby.

I recently tried the reduced sugar variety of coke, pretentiously called "Coke Life" which uses stevia as the sweetener to reduce sugar content. It tastes better than diet coke/coke zero, but it still comes with 2/3 cup of sugar instead of a cup of sugar. It does taste less sickly sweet than full blooded Coke. Generally I prefer the taste of Stevia as a kJ free sweetener than aspartame.

My taste buds are weird. I love diet soda, to the point that it feels like a great sacrifice to not drink it every day, and an even greater sacrifice to only drink once or twice a month. I find it so refreshing and tasty and when I do get a bottle, it's like the best treat ever. Recently I ordered a diet soda with a to-go meal and they accidentally gave me regular. The sweetness of it caused me to gag and choke and go into a coughing fit for ten minutes. It tasted horrible. I generally don't care for sugary things, but this gag reflex only really happens with regular soda. With other sugary things, it's more just a feeling of slight to medium discomfort in my throat. I almost always prefer 'diet' sweets which probably have the aspartame sweetner.

Really, though, I'd give up any and all sweets forever if I could just drink diet soda all the time without dealing with the health consequences. I'm unconcerned about the potential cancer. More concerned about the superficial stuff like my waist and my skin. I think it diet soda had negative effects on both.

I also find artificial sweeteners to have a nasty aftertaste (not sure about stevia or splenda, I don't know if I've ever tried them), I avoid them, I don't like most sweet things in general and if I bake will almost always reduce the amount of sugar in a recipe to make it less sweet.

Artificial sweeteners may not be carcinogenic, but there may be a link to blood sugar and insulin levels and thus risk of diabetes and changes in gut bacteria(I think there have been mixed results in studies about these issues). Weight gain is positively correlated with artificial sweeteners.

Isis, well now I know why I don't like any kind of yogurt but plain, unless I put stuff in it myself (which never includes sugar or other sweeteners).

Archived