Handless Council?

Does anyone understand how the show's apparently Handless council works? First off, Cersei's excuse for failing to appoint a new Hand after Tywin's death is that as the King's mother, she is merely standing in for him until he comes of age, thus making it inappropriate for her to appoint a Hand. But if this is the case, then how was it appropriate for her to appoint Tywin as Joffrey and Tommen's Hand in the first place? Furthermore, the government around the Iron Throne has always had a Hand carrying out the King's orders. I can't imagine that Cersei is actually bothering to enforce her increasingly irrational decisions herself so if she isn't, then who is? And considering that there is no Hand, why are they meeting in the Tower of the Hand? Joffrey's conversation with Tywin in season 3 suggests that the room they are using is up a long flight of stairs. In contrast, the actual Small Council chamber seems to be more conveniently located, given that it is right behind the throne room. While Cersei clearly doesn't care if her fellow council members are inconvenienced, I don't see why she would bother going through all that unnecessary exertion when she could just use the room that exists specifically for this purpose.

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone understand how the show's apparently Handless council works? First off, Cersei's excuse for failing to appoint a new Hand after Tywin's death is that as the King's mother, she is merely standing in for him until he comes of age, thus making it inappropriate for her to appoint a Hand. But if this is the case, then how was it appropriate for her to appoint Tywin as Joffrey and Tommen's Hand in the first place? Furthermore, the government around the Iron Throne has always had a Hand carrying out the King's orders. I can't imagine that Cersei is actually bothering to enforce her increasingly irrational decisions herself so if she isn't, then who is? And considering that there is no Hand, why are they meeting in the Tower of the Hand? Joffrey's conversation with Tywin in season 3 suggests that the room they are using is up a long flight of stairs. In contrast, the actual Small Council chamber seems to be more conveniently located, given that it is right behind the throne room. While Cersei clearly doesn't care if her fellow council members are inconvenienced, I don't see why she would bother going through all that unnecessary exertion when she could just use the room that exists specifically for this purpose.

i am slightly confused by what you have said...cersei is queen regent and rules in place of son until he is of age. in essence she is the hand.

she didn't appoint tywin, joff did, then tywin named tyrion as his stand in until he returned to kings landing

i believe she is issuing orders, and enforcing them...even though she usually claims that it was king that commanded...

finally, what makes you think they are still in the tower of the hand? it seems to me she has an office (where she and jamie were in epi one) and since time is relative on planetos, i think you are reading too much into this...

:smoking:

i am slightly confused by what you have said...cersei is queen regent and rules in place of son until he is of age. in essence she is the hand.

Hand and Regent are separate jobs. In the book, Cersei has to appoint Harys Swyft to maintain appearances. In the show, her excuse is that Tommen should appoint a Hand when he comes of age, but if that were the case, then it was inappropriate for Cersei to appoint Tywin Hand in the first place. If Cersei could appoint Tywin for Joff, then she could appoint someone else for Tommen after Tywin's death.

she didn't appoint tywin, joff did, then tywin named tyrion as his stand in until he returned to kings landing.

Joff was underage. It was Cersei who made the decision in Joff's name, but if that was the case, then she should be able to appoint a new Hand in Tywin's place for Tommen. It makes no sense for the office of Hand, which the show has established as very important, to lie around vacant.

finally, what makes you think they are still in the tower of the hand?

The Small Council meetings are still taking place in the Tower of the Hand, as you can see if you compare the council scenes before and after Tywin's death.

Cersei is simply using excuses to do what she pleases. Theoretically everything she's done has been with the approval and power of the King. Tommen even admitting to re-instating the Faith Militant. So to me it seems like Cersei tells Tommen what she wants done, he approves it, and then she tells the small council. Which is why Kevan had such a huge problem with what she was doing.

She's basically eliminating anyone that won't go along with her plan.

• 6 months later...

Archived