The Sons of the Harpy Description & Discussion

I love the three hints at R+L= J.

1. Stannis after his wife says Jon is the son of a tavern wench. "Perhaps, but Ned wasn't that kind of man."

2. Littlefinger's expression after Sansa talks about the abduction and rape.

3. Barristan's story about Rhaegar singing to people.

For the show only watchers this is basically the lead up to them learning Rhaegar wasn't a bad guy.

Yeah, I'm pretty happy with the amount of history lessons and "northern conspiracy" hints going on. best part about this season, certainly.

1. Stannis after his wife says Jon is the son of a tavern wench. "Perhaps, but Ned wasn't that kind of man."

2. Littlefinger's expression after Sansa talks about the abduction and rape.

3. Barristan's story about Rhaegar singing to people.

For the show only watchers this is basically the lead up to them learning Rhaegar wasn't a bad guy.

and the crazy amounts of Stone Men name drops. I wonder what Tyrion and Jorah are going to run into...

I got really excited when LF and Sansa were discussing Lyanna, but was mega disappointed that there wasn't more to that conversation.

Me, too, but the hints are growing - and stories about Rhaegar via Ser Barristan. The LF/Sansa convo was interesting. LF talked of Lyanna almost dreamily, then Sansa, in her sort of sarcastic pessimistic way, goes straight to "Yeah, but he kidnapped her and raped her." For a moment there, I almost thought LF was going to say something else, but didn't, went to "Let us speak away from the dead" or whatever it was he said.

Me, too, but the hints are growing - and stories about Rhaegar via Ser Barristan. The LF/Sansa convo was interesting. LF talked of Lyanna almost dreamily, then Sansa, in her sort of sarcastic pessimistic way, goes straight to "Yeah, but he kidnapped her and raped her." For a moment there, I almost thought LF was going to say something else, but didn't, went to "Let us speak away from the dead" or whatever it was he said.

They are clearly making a parallel between Sansa and Ramsey and what may be Sansa's fate given Jeyne Poole

Do hope Theon stabs Ramsey.

1. Stannis after his wife says Jon is the son of a tavern wench. "Perhaps, but Ned wasn't that kind of man

2. Obarra's speech taken from book.

3. Tommen being caught between Cersei & Margery. Also not knowing what to do in conflict with the Faith. Poor kid. Now worried how long he has to live.

4. Sansa in the Crypt.

5. Margery running for her Gran.

6. Stannis and Shireen. Knew it!

Also makes me think Ramsey marching on the NW might happen. Never believed anything in Pink Letter but maybe Ramsey reacts to Sansa and Theon escaping.

After seeing the end of this episode I went back to check the trailer to see who all is standing around Dany when the Sons of the Harper come out of the crowd and surround her at the fighting pit... I don't see Barristan, but there is someone behind her who looks a lot like Jorah when he is fighting in the pit in the same trailer. I was really hoping Barristan had more to do in this story.

Also noteworthy from that trailer is a split second shot of Misandei (sp? the interpreter) kissing Grey Worm while he is lying down with his eyes open... i think he looks alive, but it is so short a clip maybe he isn't.

Was really shocked that Sir Barristan went down. Setting things up for some serious dragon revenge it seems. After 3 episodes of basically just piece setting, this one really picked up the pace. By the teaser for next week, it looks like the "disturbing" Ramsay scene is coming in the next episode.

Long time lurker, first time poster.

The Barristan death was the first time I've been really annoyed when watching the series so far. Having re-watched it, he does get to show off his awesome skills for a while but I'm gutted that we won't see him playing the game of thrones after Dany escapes or my favourite moment where he tries to protect Dany from Drogon in Daznak's Pit.

I don't know if this has already been posted somewhere, but I'm sad to say that it is confirmed that he is dead due to the preview and this interview:

http://www.ew.com/article/2015/05/01/ser-barristan-dead-thrones

Does anybody else think the Dorne plot has been completely and utterly butchered? These Sand Snakes and Ellaria are unbearable to watch.

Here's hoping Alexander Siddig can be shown more and clean this mess up.

Does anybody else think the Dorne plot has been completely and utterly butchered? These Sand Snakes and Ellaria are unbearable to watch.

The Sand Snakes were pretty unbearable in the books to be honest as well...I think it's a pretty honest adaptation of them, although mileage may vary with the execution/acting itself.

The Barristan death was the first time I've been really annoyed when watching the series so far. Having re-watched it, he does get to show off his awesome skills for a while but I'm gutted that we won't see him playing the game of thrones after Dany escapes or my favourite moment where he tries to protect Dany from Drogon in Daznak's Pit.

I don't know if this has already been posted somewhere, but I'm sad to say that it is confirmed that he is dead due to the preview and this interview:

booo!!! sorry, i don't complain much, but i wanted more Barristan.

Thats what happens when you throw a whole house and their issues in the middle of the fire. Instead of introducing them a couple of series ago. They into us knowing them and their hatred of the Lannisters. Almost like the Martells are all bad guys/gals.

The Sand Snakes were pretty unbearable in the books to be honest as well...I think it's a pretty honest adaptation of them, although mileage may vary with the execution/acting itself.

I agree that they can be obnoxious, but that's the only thing they adapt, it seems.

Because while Obara is very much like her book counterpart, the other two are simply minor versions of Obara.

Tyene and Nym are completely the opposite of Obara. They simply see them as achance to portray WOMEN WARRIORS with small clothes. Tyene is not into violence. She seems to, like Sarella, pursue a more intelectual skill rather than have a weapon. Her weapon is being like a snake: subtle, yet dangerous. And the fact that she knows a lot about poisons hints her at having intellectual interests.

And of course, Sarella has not being cast.

I've been a long time lurker too, and Barristan's death was enough to finally pull me in. I'm so mad about it. :devil: :bang: Such a waste of a wonderful character in the books, and I too love all that happens to him in the pit and especially following D's departure. I have a feeling he is going to live long enough to depart some final sage advice to D on his death bed.

And like you, it was the first time for me that I was really pissed with a change the writers made. Heck, I was even on board with Jamie's Dorne adventure.... so it takes a lot to make me angry. #ITSHOULDHAVEBEENDAARIO

It seems silly to applaud the books and show for being willing to kill of characters, and not having any character be safe. Then complain when you're favourite character is killed. And the fact they're still alive in the books is no excuse really since they're are less characters in the show than in the books.

Statistic analysis of this episode.BRONN is the winner,he said 498 words and he managed to climb in 19th place with 3105 words.If Barristan selmy is dead,he left the series with 1329 words and in 35th place so far.CERSEI still wins in season 5 with 1376 words.Top ten so far from the beginning is 1.Tyrion Lannister 16504 words 2.Cersei Lannister 9402 words 3.Jaime Lannister 7166 words 4.Petyr 'Littlefinger' Baelish 6669 words 5.Daenerys Targaryen 6182 words 6.Tywin Lannister 6119 words 7.Jon Snow 5795 words 8.Lord Varys 5078 words 9.Theon Greyjoy 4354 words 10.Sansa Stark 4254 words

I agree. They needed to have someone who was convincingly athletic. The girl's actresses shoulders look like they can't do a pull-up, and that takes me out of it. Also, the fact that Dorn was filmed in Ireland when they already had a Spanish crew. I think the Dorne plot is hard to follow because of the four families we've followed - stark, targaryan, martell and Greyjoy - there is no central POV character. Arriene has two chapters, the kingsguard knight, like, one, Areo freakin Hotah, one... It's the only thread where GRRM has not even tried to nail down a central perspective. Quintin has four chapters in the other book, though.

GRRM has simply written less cohesive plots for the later two stories. Part of writing a good history book is knowing what details to leave out. I feel we've really lost a lot of mystery and pacing by getting POV perspectives from such a diverse and scattered collection of people.

What was Tyrion doing in the small council room when Varys was reporting on Ser Jorah's information? As far as I know, Tyrion never held an official position in King Robert's court.

That is a true book critique since I agree that tyrion was not there. On the show the subject came up again when Tywin resent the official pardon to Jorah in order to sew the seeds of discord in Danys court. That was the device they created to get Jorah ousted since he should have been gone after he and and barriston hit the mureen sewers instead of grey worm

Archived