[BOOK SPOILERS] Rant and Rave Part 2

teemo

Oh good.... Let’s keep this thread pure and good guys, if you don’t feed trolls, they wither and die.

What do people think of how the Ironborn were depicted in season 2? I don’t remember much there that made their cultural distinctiveness clear, even then.

Really just wanted to see Victarion's armor. Whole kraken helmet/breast-plate seemed mad cool when I was reading.

They haven’t had a good history in translating clothing and such faithfully. I usually doesn’t bug me so much. Although I do wish women from the Reach didn’t all dress so damn anachronistically. (bare arms and cleavage.... sure.....) Although I guess it was a natural consequence when they inexplicably decided to give the Reach Dorne’s sexual mores.

Oh good.... Let’s keep this thread pure and good guys, if you don’t feed trolls, they wither and die.

What do people think of how the Ironborn were depicted in season 2? I don’t remember much there that made their cultural distinctiveness clear, even then.

For me, Show!Ironborns kinda felt like Wildlings with boats.

They seemed unruly and savage, nothing more.

Interesting article about what we were discussing yesterday.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2015/04/29/game-of-thrones-peen-problem.html

Great article. This is hilarious:

But the minute a character finds him or herself in a situation where a bare penis comes into play, the camera abruptly becomes a prude. Better not to look, it seems to say. This might actually be too much for you.

Carice Van Houten, who plays Melisandre on the show, told The Daily Beast this month... “I think the nudity should be equal because we’re showing real life. I think it’s still quite a taboo to see a penis, and if you’re showing reality, then I wouldn’t mind seeing reality. I think it would be good to show the male body more frequently to take away taboos about sexuality. A breast is something that your mother has, and a penis is something that your father has. It’s the human body!”

Sibel Kikelli, who played Shae until the end of Season 4, told The Wall Street Journal, “I want to see more nudity. Because why always the women? The women are really beautiful and of course it’s a part of the show... But I want to see more naked men. I try. I tell Dan [Weiss] and David [benioff] and George [R.R. Martin] all the time.”

and this:

Does Tena think there is a disparity in the nudity ratio between men and women? "There's that in everything in the world. I think it's really unfair, every actor, any actress has had her tits out. Every single actress I know. Blokes it's like, let's see some cock. Do you know what I mean? Let's make it more even."

Great article. This is hilarious:

<...>

I know! I thought this was quite interesting too. Probably something people have known for a while, but it was news to me. I wonder who he meant...

And at least one Game of Thrones director has copped to feeling pressured to disrobe his actresses as well, telling Empire Online about an unnamed executive producer taking him aside and saying, “Look, I represent the pervert side of the audience, okay? Everybody else is in the serious drama side—I represent the perv side of the audience, and I’m saying I want full frontal nudity in this scene.” The director, Neil Marshal, obliged.

Why did the last thread lock? Presumably something off topic?

Although within a rant and rave without reprisal, wasn't supposed to be considered as any judge of character.

Then again this titled thread shifts right back over that way, from another sourced article.

Curious as to the cause or effect

I think it was for length.

We are ranting about this part of the show, that's very much on topic and a part of this episode. The scene with the High Septon was very obviously shot and has drawn attention for that reason.

Here's another:

Not moments earlier, we had no less than seven actresses appearing fully nude in the contextual setting of a brothel, but when a male actor’s exposed genitals are intrinsic to the overall point being made, that’s when HBO decides to be bashful?

http://screencrush.com/game-of-thrones-male-nudity-penance-walk-high-septon/

I still can't get over how much effort went into cropping the women's faces out of the frame. It was like, all neck-down, except for the full on shot of The Stranger with her backwards wig. Just...what...

I really want to be a fly on the wall when that scene was pitched:

DB: Hey Dan

DW: What's up, David?

DB: Well you know how we decided to make this High Septon caught in a brothel so that the WoS isn't about slut-shaming?

DW: Oh yes, a very smart decision on our part. It doesn't ruin any thematic significance and it gets the critics off our asses

DB: Well, what about if like...the High Septon wants kinky versions of the gods?

DW: Like, all 7 would be there?

DB: Yeah, I was thinking The Stranger could wear a veil or something

DW: Nah, not weird enough. Let's just get a girl and stick a backwards wig on her

DB: Great sounds good

DW: But wait, 3 of those gods would be men

DB: Well let's just...not have them be men.

DW: Idk, this would be a great opportunity to use Olyvar

DB: Oh okay, he'll be The Father but everyone else will be a woman.

DW: Perfect, and he can crack jokes during!

DB: This may be our best scene yet, buddy.

DW: But wait, 3 of those gods would be men

DB: Well let's just...not have them be men.

DW: Idk, this would be a great opportunity to use Olyvar

DB: Oh okay, he'll be The Father but everyone else will be a woman.

Great point. They added the prostitutes, then took GRRM's example of gender equality, where he made half of the gods female, and turned it upside down.

Great point. They added the prostitutes, then took GRRM's example of gender equality, where he made about half of the gods female, and turned it upside down.

But ALL the gods are female now! Except for the one, but he’s gay, so it still counts as progressive! D&D are SO pro-woman, you guys.

Was just checking next episode's title and summary and it seems we're in for more Dorne butchery, I'm afraid to watch it at this point. Could Larry and Bronn of the Dead have arrived already?

Phhhhew what am I talking about! Course they must have arrived.

ps: previous thread was indeed locked for length.

They were the people dressed in Blue Denim!

Was just checking next episode's title and summary and it seems we're in for more Dorne butchery, I'm afraid to watch it at this point. Could Larry and Bronn of the Dead have arrived already?

Bronn of the Dead? Bwahahahaha!!! Yup, that's awesome.

Oh course, how else could they make even the Dorne plot all about the Lannisters?

Also taking this opportunity to plug my latest bit of tumblr madness.

Trading Kittens for Coitus: The Adaptation of Margaery and Tommen in Game of Thrones

I think the titles speaks for itself.

Archived