[BOOK SPOILERS] Rant and Rave Part 2

teemo

regarding the prostitutes, I feel like in the books they were mostly shown as people with their own feelings, even when they were in the background: those prostitutes Arya befriends in Braavos, Bella and her co-workers who support the BWB, Chataya and Alayaya (although a bit cliche). In the show they are mostly a part of the scenery, even when they do something in the plot.

Interesting article about what we were discussing yesterday.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2015/04/29/game-of-thrones-peen-problem.html

Wait, hold everything. I want to know who is the representative for good story, alluded to in this section of the article, cause....they are slacking!! Of course, the perv representation seems to have the serious access. God forbid, sensible story go with it?

And at least one Game of Thrones director has copped to feeling pressured to disrobe his actresses as well, telling Empire Online about an unnamed executive producer taking him aside and saying, “Look, I represent the pervert side of the audience, okay? Everybody else is in the serious drama side—I represent the perv side of the audience, and I’m saying I want full frontal nudity in this scene.” The director, Neil Marshal, obliged.

I've now read all the part 1 and part 2 of this thread so feel compelled to comment.

However all the good rants and raves have been done already way better than I could.

Mostly annoyed about the LF/Sansa/Boltons debacle. WTF? So LF is an idiot now then eh?

The most glaring thing about it to me is the whole revenge argument that convinces Sansa to go through with it.

What and how exactly is this revenge? Is Sansa supposed to hope that Ramsey doesn't rape/kill her long enough to stab him or Roose in the back when they are not looking? Coz that will end well, she'd surely come through that unscathed and unflayed.

The argument seems to be "Marry him and fuck him against your will. Revenge!!"

Related to that story line and one of the links on the other thread. I can't believe I am going to say this, it makes me question everything I am as a human being but I think I actually DON'T want to see some boobs?!

If Sansa has a topless scene watching it is going to make me feel uncomfortable. We've watched that actress grow up from season 1 and I can't separate her in my head from that child.

I appreciate Sophie has grown into an attractive adult but in my mind its just still wrong. Like someone else said it's like they've waited for her to turn 18 so they can go "woohoo, show us your boobs!". And if I accidentally think for even a second when I see it "Nice tits!" I am going to feel weirdly complicit in their nudity grooming crap.

Anyway, I was only going to type the first 2 sentences but got carried away!

regarding the prostitutes, I feel like in the books they were mostly shown as people with their own feelings, even when they were in the background: those prostitutes Arya befriends in Braavos, Bella and her co-workers who support the BWB, Chataya and Alayaya (although a bit cliche). In the show they are mostly a part of the scenery, even when they do something in the plot.

That's a great point. It's not the nudity I'm objecting to, if that's the way they want to tell the story, fine, but some key points.

Make the camera neutral, not male gaze. Show nudity equally and consistently. Make sure it's part of the story, not gratuitous.

I don't have a problem with Sansa having a topless scene at some point, she's a woman now. That's fine, or would be fine if not for the nudity imbalance, which makes me question all of it. But I have a problem with it being gratuitous, her whole plot this season is questionable.

It is called censorship. A male schlong cannot be shown erect on TV in many parts of the world. Far easier to bevar any muff up, showing female nudity barring any man's ass.

This argument is almost pointless in further consideration to those demo's

It is called censorship. A male schlong cannot be shown erect on TV in many parts of the world. Far easier to bevar any muff up, showing female nudity barring any man's ass.

Does that apply to cable networks?

I don't have a problem with nudity per se, on the contrary I rather like it. Its just something with this show makes it a feel a bit......seedy (and not in a good way).

I remember seeing an interview with Osha (can't remember the actress name) talking about her nude scene in season 2. She said she was told on screen it would be topless only and it was only later that she found out her lower half would be shown too. In fairness to the actress she said she was only annoyed about it as she would have grown her bush out for authenticity sake :lol: , but something about that doesn't sit right to me.

And you have to wonder what they originally had planned for Marg and Tommen that Natalie Dormer refused to do?

What if next season they think "great Maisie is 18 now, lets do a nudey version of that Mercy scene from TWOW"? I'm sorry everyone grows up but to me that would be fucking weird to me. Its like they are purposely re-writing stuff until they've seen eveyone's boobs.

Why would it need to be erect though? They showed Theon's instantly floppy one in season 1.

I don't have a problem with nudity per se, on the contrary I rather like it. Its just something with this show makes it a feel a bit......seedy (and not in a good way).

I remember seeing an interview with Osha (can't remember the actress name) talking about her nude scene in season 2. She said she was told on screen it would be topless only and it was only later that she found out her lower half would be shown too. In fairness to the actress she said she was only annoyed about it as she would have grown her bush out for authenticity sake :lol: , but something about that doesn't sit right to me.

And you have to wonder what they originally had planned for Marg and Tommen that Natalie Dormer refused to do?

What if next season they think "great Maisie is 18 now, lets do a nudey version of that Mercy scene from TWOW"? I'm sorry everyone grows up but to me that would be fucking weird to me. Its like they are purposely re-writing stuff until they've seen eveyone's boobs.

Good grief, I think you're right. :frown5:

I'm also not against nudity. But,say, the show runners have to cut all nudity and graphic violence because of the network; but they keep complex characterisation and anti-war themes. Yes, it would diminish impact of some scenes and in some aspects would be against the book Westeros. Yet,in my opinion, this adaptation would still work better (if they use the time to develop other things).

Lets have this discussion into any understanding.

Adult networks don't suffer from much restriction although often they are so mild compared to what can be obtained legally.

Half the dicks shown on TV are often quite fake. If an erection cannot be shown due to censorship how hard would that be for any actor performing.

Femnazi arguments aside what is easier? To bevar a muff up showing a man's ass, or in making other arrangements? When shamefully nudity sells

Oh course, how else could they make even the Dorne plot all about the Lannisters?

Also taking this opportunity to plug my latest bit of tumblr madness.

Trading Kittens for Coitus: The Adaptation of Margaery and Tommen in Game of Thrones

I think the titles speaks for itself.

LOL Can't wait to check it out, love the title, and the title Bronn of the Dead. Sounds correct, and like a keeper, as well.

Archived