Manderleys

Kslax225

The Manderlys were powerfull river lords in the reach until they rose up against House Gardener and were forced to flee north. The then King in the North gave them shelter and new lands, as well as allowing them to keep their southron traditions and gods, in return for a massive payment of silver or gold. This is why HouseMannderly is the only one of the northern houses to have knights and worship the Seven.

Right, that's from the Davos chapter George has read previously. Still want more information than that, for my own part, such as why they ended up in the North rather than just moving over to the westerlands, stormlands, riverlands, etc. -- a bit closer to home. :)

Right, that's from the Davos chapter George has read previously. Still want more information than that, for my own part, such as why they ended up in the North rather than just moving over to the westerlands, stormlands, riverlands, etc. -- a bit closer to home. :)

And how some refugee house wound up winning the draw to be Lord of White Harbor: the city of the North, the most profitable region, the most subjects, and the best fleet.

It's no wonder the Bolton's rebeled all the time with stuff like that going on :D

Well, it seems like the King of the North would be most willing to entertain such an offer, because of all of them, he doesn't border the Reach and thus doesn't have to deal with a lot of fallout from harboring an enemy of House Gardener.

• 1 month later...
And how some refugee house wound up winning the draw to be Lord of White Harbor: the city of the North, the most profitable region, the most subjects, and the best fleet.

I would assume that the Manderly's made it that way, rather than having it fall into their laps.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 years later...

They heard that the king in the north was good and honorable so they fled north and the wolfs took them in if u read a dance of dragons lord wyman's grand daughter gives a brief history lesson A thousand years before the Conquest, a promise was made, and oaths were sworn in the Wolf’s Den before the old gods and the new. When we were sore beset and friendless, hounded from our homes and in peril of our lives, the wolves took us in and nourished us and protected us against our enemies. The city is built upon the land they gave us In return we swore that we should always be their men. Stark men!”

It's no wonder the Bolton's rebeled all the time with stuff like that going on :D

Heh, Your post made me laugh out loud. My theory, based on the back history we get from Davos, is that the potential wealth of the area was unrealized by the other Northerners, so they gave the land to them. The Manderlys had the know how to mine the silver and build a harbor and ship and utilized the resources more efficiently. The Starks knew that the Manderlys were would owe them a debt of gratitude, so they were happy to let them do whatever (as long as they gave them a cut, I'm sure).

There's a lot about to know about all the houses of bannermen, including the Manderlys.

I think the upcoming book could show at least the words, the coat of arms and the location (and political affiliation) of all the houses in the books (including old houses, like the Whents and other extinct houses), and all the houses in The Citadel's heraldry section (the ones who do not appear in the books, specially).

• 1 month later...

They heard that the king in the north was good and honorable so they fled north and the wolfs took them in if u read a dance of dragons lord wyman's grand daughter gives a brief history lesson A thousand years before the Conquest, a promise was made, and oaths were sworn in the Wolf’s Den before the old gods and the new. When we were sore beset and friendless, hounded from our homes and in peril of our lives, the wolves took us in and nourished us and protected us against our enemies. The city is built upon the land they gave us In return we swore that we should always be their men. Stark men!”

I do like that daughter of Lord Manderly. So there you go, guys! It simply was the land given to them, and since they already have the resources, they adapted to the conditions and grew.

I think it's a very tall order to expect words and arms and seats for every single house, because there's literally hundreds and George doesn't necessarily have time (or desire) to create them all -- when he hits on a good one, he'll jot it down, but adding 300 new mottoes would probably lead to many, many rather drab ones.

Getting locations for all the seats mentioned... maybe, but I'm not really sure what the plans are for the various maps we'll have.

I would assume that the Manderly's made it that way, rather than having it fall into their laps.

Yeah, it was always a good spot, but the Manderly's made it a great city.

But it wasn't a bad idea to give the area to them: it was previously in control of another branch of House Stark that ended up rebelling; but the Southern refugees that worship the "wrong" gods would never have a chance to win the North anyway.

• 11 months later...

Well, from what I recall of the books - White Harbor was a smugglers cove, pirates, smugglers, all doing business there... So, the Starks gave that place to the Manderleys in order to erradicate the pirates and smugglers terrorising the population near the shores (apart from giving them refuge, of course). It was basically a worthless piece of land back then, but they made it what it is.

Martin once said (I don't have a link to the quote) that the Mander was named after the Manderlys, and not the other way around.

So they were powerful enough to have the greatest river in Westeros named after them, thousands of years ago. Back then they probably dominated the river trade on the main waterway into the South, back when roads were probably rather primitive.

Thus, they must have been very, very wealthy, and probably one of the most powerful Houses in the South. The Mander stretches for 1000 miles or more, and it is named after them for its entire length.

I imagine that this wealth and knowledge of river navigation and trade must have allowed them to establish a similar trade link on the largest river in the North - the White Knife. It also is the main trade artery of its region.

They came to a place that allowed them to thrive in a similar setting as the one they originated from. A major trade waterway.

Heh, Your post made me laugh out loud. My theory, based on the back history we get from Davos, is that the potential wealth of the area was unrealized by the other Northerners, so they gave the land to them. The Manderlys had the know how to mine the silver and build a harbor and ship and utilized the resources more efficiently. The Starks knew that the Manderlys were would owe them a debt of gratitude, so they were happy to let them do whatever (as long as they gave them a cut, I'm sure).

There are silver mines near White Harbor? I thought Lord Manderly's silver came from trade revenue.

Archived