Why isn't Margaery on the Small Council?!

VladimirDulud

Margaery wanted to be THE queen. Why isn't she sitting on her small council meetings? Is Cersei holding them in secret? Clearly not, since Mace Tyrell is also on the council. While Cersei is getting busy weakening the small council, Margaery seems to be preoccupied with honeymooning Tommen.

I'm actually surprised no one responded to this. Since Marge and Tommen are married and consummated the marriage I don't see where Cersei has any power or authority anymore, which ironically marge comments on after the wedding calling her "queen mother" now instead of Queen, so why is the queen mother still running the small council and the realm?

Technically, isn't Cersei still Queen Regent since Tommen is still a minor? I don't think Margaery's power "counts" until Tommen is ruling on his own. He's a figurehead at this point and Cersei is running the country on his behalf, which is why Kevan told her off.

It doesn't appear even Tommen is invited to his small council meetings. I don't recall ever seeing him at one.

*Edited to add that I think Margaery is still focused on playing sweet and ditzy and dependent on her man at this point, particularly in front of Tommen, and doesn't want to appear overly power-grabby, which is why she's always seen gabbing with her ladies and talking about dresses.

Technically, isn't Cersei still Queen Regent since Tommen is still a minor? I don't think Margaery's power "counts" until Tommen is ruling on his own. He's a figurehead at this point and Cersei is running the country on his behalf, which is why Kevan told her off.

It doesn't appear even Tommen is invited to his small council meetings. I don't recall ever seeing him at one.

*Edited to add that I think Margaery is still focused on playing sweet and ditzy and dependent on her man at this point, particularly in front of Tommen, and doesn't want to appear overly power-grabby, which is why she's always seen gabbing with her ladies and talking about dresses.

Interesting. Joff sat at some of his small council meetings though.. I guess in the narrative there is no one really preparing Tommen for proper rule in that patriarchal sense - as everybody has their own designs on the throne and most of the alpha males have fled the forest? Maybe that's too much of a surface reading.

STILL. It's strange that Marge wouldn't jump at the chance to sit herself on that small council and start exercising her rule after all that careful long con-ning. She seemed like such the presidential hopeful back in Series 3. I also can't really believe that all of Olenna's plotting was just to get Marge as queen; surely there was a larger plan for all this? Especially now, when Tywin's out of the picture - why aren't the Tyrells moving in?

For the same reason that Cersei didn't sit on Small Council meetings during season 1: she doesn't have a position on the council. She isn't Master of anything, a minister without portfolio, Hand, or Regent, so how could she justify attending?

For the same reason that Cersei didn't sit on Small Council meetings during season 1: she doesn't have a position on the council. She isn't Master of anything, a minister without portfolio, Hand, or Regent, so how could she justify attending?

Good point. And now that I think of it I don't remember Cersei in any small council meetings in the first series.

Archived