[Book Spoilers] EP504 Discussion

Ran

I think part of the point of the Mel scene was that it didn't work and there was no way it would have.

The sparrows in the book seemed to be the Iranian Revolutionary Guard in the books and the High Sparrow the Ayatollah with a bit of Charles Mason thrown in. The show is pretty accurate to that sort of behavior. They are nowhere near like ISIS.

Well you can think the Faith Militant to be like the Spanish Inquisition. The High Sparrow in the Books and the Show is not crazy nor power mad. He is a religious fanatic who believes he is following the dictates of the Gods. Frankly the anti-gay pogrom pisses me off a bit as its ahistorical and not really in keeping with the way the Faithful or the High Sparrow are depicted in the books.

I don't understand why everyone loves this Stannis and Shireen scene. Stannis would never say that stuff, he never even talks to Shireen.

Beautifully acted, completely in character, touching...what more do you want? It's made pretty clear in the books that Shireen is one of the only things that Stannis actually cares about, so I'm not sure what makes you say he'd "never say that stuff". Do you seriously doubt that he loves his daughter?

Oh that would be interesting, very interesting. And for all her snobbery, Selyse is the one likely to harm Shireen and Gilly is more likely to save her.

Though what they do with Shireen after leaving the Wall is another problem. Sending away the lawful heir to the throne is much dangerous than sending away Mance Rayder's son.

I think Aemon will die before Sam's trip (if there is a trip). Because in the trailer, we can see two scenes of funeral pyres at the Wall, and one was clearly a man being burnt at stake (Mance), the other showed a man lying on a pyre. I'm guessing it will be Aemon. If I'm right, Aemon will die at the Wall. Most probably 'Kill the boy' is his last words.

Stannis will have his hands full with the march on Winterfell. Maybe Selyse's revenge, or a Stannis order sets in motion the plot to kill Jon.

Something tells me if they do leave the wall together there will be no stop over in Bravos for an epic Shireen/Arya meeting.

What a touching father daughter moment from Stannis and Shireen. It is hard to see Stannis say something like that but still we do know that he does care about Shireen. I am fearing for Shireen though, that kingsblood statement was very ominous.

The scene with Barristan and Dany talking about Rheagar was pretty crap IMO. They should have revealed the mystery behind Rheagar.

Even if the show is diverging from the books, I want to see what happens next in Dorne.

Stannis will have his hands full with the march on Winterfell. Maybe Selyse's revenge, or a Stannis order sets in motion the plot to kill Jon.

Something tells me if they do leave the wall together there will be no stop over in Bravos for an epic Shireen/Arya meeting.

Ooo that is fan fic I can get behind!

What a touching father daughter moment from Stannis and Shireen. It is hard to see Stannis say something like that but still we do know that he does care about Shireen. I am fearing for Shireen though, that kingsblood statement was very ominous.

The scene with Barristan and Dany talking about Rheagar was pretty crap IMO. They should have revealed the mystery behind Rheagar.

Even if the show is diverging from the books, I want to see what happens next in Dorne.

While Stannis probably wouldn't say that to Shireen without her coming to him about it first, I thought it was completely in character. It wasn't like he was super emotional or gushing. He was still very reserved and calculated in what he said -- but it was obvious he cared. That's the important part.

So Cersei is trying to get rid of Loras and Mace and Littlefinger going South and Margeary needing to be with her family.... enter Lady Olenna, I can't wait!

Whenever Malissandre says "Blood of a King" it just screams and foreshadows a death and sacrifice.... poor girl.

I don't think a pink letter will be sent, Ser Davos already put the seed in for Jon to march down and he will know soon enough the real Sansa is at Winterfell, a much better and legitimate push to march down.

I'm really glad they made Sansa one of the characters who knows and shares information about the past, she knew about her uncle and grandfather dying at the iron throne at the hands of the Mad King Targaryen in season one and now she shows that she knows about her aunt being kidnapped and raped by Rhaegar... I wonder how much she knows about Dany and what her feelings towards her are.

Dany's story is just meh... It seems like beloved Danny, Arya and Tyrion are just there so far, Cersei/Margeary/Faith of the Seven and the North/Sansa/Jon/Stannis are taking center stage so far.

did anyone notice the hints the show gave about r+l=j?

littlefinger(why does he always get the good quotes and stories in the show) tells sansa the story of harrenhall and

barristan tells dany of how nice her brother was,to contradict the what sansa said about rhaegar raping lyanna, i believe that rhaegar was barely mentioned in the show so far but two stories about him were told in the same episode where stannis said that fathering a bastard is not ned stark's way.

i believe that the show is setting up to reveal jon's parentage this season,maybe through sansa and the crypts, and probbably just before the "for the watch"

scene.

Stannis keeps a jester around who drives him mad only because it was the last gift his parents gave him, he is tortured by grief for killing his brother and he says he's only fighting for the Iron Throne so Shireen can have it.

Beneath Stannis's stubbornness is a loving/caring man who the majority of readers fail to ever see. This scene is most certainly in character in my opinion and shocking that D & D are portraying Stannis so well this season. We may not have got the "king who cared" or "cart before the horse" but this does paint him a much better light for unsullied viewers.

i wonder if this is what actually happened to Shireen. They are name dropping Dorne a lot to get the viewers used to it so it could just be made up.

I'm so unhappy about Ser Badass. He may have killed 14 men but who is going to hold Mereen when Dany goes. Daario? He will set the city on fire.

Littlefinger's smirk when Sansa said then Rhaegar kidnapped and raped Lyanna, priceless!

Also, I wonder how long it will take him to reach King's Landing? Stannis said he would march on Winterfell in a couple of weeks, my guess is he'll arrive before then. Still I guess it's not as bad as Cersei's raven last episode.

Stannis keeps a jester around who drives him mad only because it was the last gift his parents gave him, he is tortured by grief for killing his brother and he says he's only fighting for the Iron Throne so Shireen can have it.

Beneath Stannis's stubbornness is a loving/caring man who the majority of readers fail to ever see. This scene is most certainly in character in my opinion and shocking that D & D are portraying Stannis so well this season. We may not have got the "king who cared" or "cart before the horse" but this does paint him a much better light for unsullied viewers.

i wonder if this is what actually happened to Shireen. They are name dropping Dorne a lot to get the viewers used to it so it could just be made up.

I'm so unhappy about Ser Badass. He may have killed 14 men but who is going to hold Mereen when Dany goes. Daario? He will set the city on fire.

I also remember Stannis saying something in the books along the lines of having a dream that he killed his brother; but he wasn't actually there, or it was hazy, or something to that effect. I know that he was devastated by that and I also wondered how he never connected it to Mel. But I really love how they portray him on the show, and he is one of my favorite made-for-series POV's so to speak.

If LF does know, and I think he does, then that's a sick revenge plot. There is hatred there.

Please, these posts are so off base. Sansa is CRITICAL to LF grand plans.

It's one thing to throw her into a risky situation, getting slaughtered is another.

He knows. There's nothing LF doesn't know, especially when it comes to anything that might effect Sansa. I can't believe he's leaving her there.

Yes LF must know EVERYTHING about EVERYONE...in fact we should start refering to LF as GOD.

He also makes mistakes. This is likly one of them. Think about how important Sansa is to LF grand plans.....now explain why getting her killed helps him.......

point set match.

As much as people hate it. I understand killing off Barristan. It opens the door for Jorah's return. The audience is heavily invested in Jorah and Dany's relationship. She will need some she can trust to fill the void. I now Jorah betrayed her, but it opens up for a redemption arc for Jorah. So I can rock with it.

Agree. And he did go out "As a knight" as he declared in KL.

And more room for Tyrion as well (maybe).

Perhaps he's using her as bait to get the North to rise against the Boltons. Also, he can now tell Cersei that Sansa ran away to WInterfell from KL and the Boltons are sheltering her. There goes the Boltons' cover from KL.

What's the point in raising the North against the Boltons?

Without the Boltons, team Stannis could be easily supported by Northmen wanting revenge on Lannisters & Freys.