[Book Spoilers] EP504 Discussion

Ran

Little background: A sports radio guy in my area will do a 10 minute breakdown of the last episode; I had heard him teasing it for a few weeks but never bothered to listen or still be in the car to catch it. Heard it yesterday. And I think it is just about the best summation of the lowest common denominator audience members the show caters (panders?) to.

Few points:

• Claim to not be a book reader but knows R+L=J theory; so is either reading a bit of the net or the show did a good job.
  • "Blood is good, talking is bad"
  • The first caller is amazing in his unsullied-ness.
  • The second caller claims to be a book reader, is cut off, but was giving poor info anyhow.

Lastly, really strikes home how amazing, crazy, dedicated, and informed folks on this forum are; and how much of a true minority we are.

Episode talks starts at the 35:00 mark and goes for roughly 9 minutes.

Without further ado I give you: Unsullied Radio http://media.957thegame.com/a/104826281/the-damon-bruce-show-5-7-15-hour-1.htm?

Question is how. The only person that is alive that would know would be Reed and he has not been cast. Bran through the powers he is gaining could see the past but he has been cut out of this season. And Mel is not exactly spot on in understanding visions.

Melissandre found out about Gendry's existence and location from her fires in the show. And then she just told him, point blank, and suddenly his life made a lot more sense to him. That seems like an obvious way for the show to tell Jon. But Bran and Bloodraven are another obvious way. I doubt it will come from the Reeds in the show - Howland Reed hasn't been introduced at all. It would feel very deux ex machina to introduce him at this point just to tell Jon about his mother.

So I know there have been some complaints that are minor about how green Dorne looked. However they are in the Broken arm of Dorne along the cost and that is pretty green according to the World book.

Still trying to figure out the line of there are no sharks in Dorne. Why? There are sharks in the waters around Dorne, in fact it would be an ideal place for sharks you have sea that runs between the arctic and summer seas there. That's ideal shark hunting ground. There are no sharks in the waters of Dorne. What? Why even bother with that line? Look I know their are no Krakens on the show anymore, but now the sharks are getting it too? They are killing off the sharks before the sharks are even on the show. Look they never had a major role in the series, but the sharks are in the water. Do you have to kill off the sea life and eco system of the ocean now?

One thing is certain D&D do not like sea life. If your a fish, if you live in the water, you are fucked on the show.

Edited by Ser Creighton

So I know there have been some complaints that are minor about how green Dorne looked. However they are in the Broken arm of Dorne along the cost and that is pretty green according to the World book.

Still trying to figure out the line of there are no sharks in Dorne. Why? There are sharks in the waters around Dorne, in fact it would be an ideal place for sharks you have sea that runs between the arctic and summer seas there. That's ideal shark hunting ground. There are no sharks in the waters of Dorne. What? Why even bother with that line? Look I know their are no Krakens on the show anymore, but now the sharks are getting it too? They are killing off the sharks before the sharks are even on the show. Look they never had a major role in the series, but the sharks are in the water. Do you have to kill off the sea life and eco system of the ocean now?

One thing is certain D&D do not like sea life. If your a fish, if you live in the water, you are fucked on the show.

This is the funniest thing I've read in the forums today.

When Sansa said that comment about Rhaegar kidnapping and raping Lyanna, and then Littlefinger had that look, I can see where people would think it helped confirm R + L = J. I think it is actually foreshadowing Sansa having been kidnapped and potentially raped by Littlefinger. I think they had sex either right before she dyed her hair (while they were on a high with getting away with killing her aunt and he was teaching her how to pleasure to manipulate), OR he is planning on having sex with her in the future.

Little background: A sports radio guy in my area will do a 10 minute breakdown of the last episode; I had heard him teasing it for a few weeks but never bothered to listen or still be in the car to catch it. Heard it yesterday. And I think it is just about the best summation of the lowest common denominator audience members the show caters (panders?) to.

Few points:

• Claim to not be a book reader but knows R+L=J theory; so is either reading a bit of the net or the show did a good job.
  • "Blood is good, talking is bad"
  • The first caller is amazing in his unsullied-ness.
  • The second caller claims to be a book reader, is cut off, but was giving poor info anyhow.
Lastly, really strikes home how amazing, crazy, dedicated, and informed folks on this forum are; and how much of a true minority we are.

Episode talks starts at the 35:00 mark and goes for roughly 9 minutes.

Without further ado I give you: Unsullied Radio http://media.957thegame.com/a/104826281/the-damon-bruce-show-5-7-15-hour-1.htm?

I'm not sure if you've ever listened to sports radio shows before, but that's how they are in general.

When people are uninformed as to what's actually happening in the show, I'd say that the show ISN'T catering to them since they are obviously not following what's going on.

It's also implied in her POv

In another words it was completely different than what the show did. You know it's one thing if you happen to like ridiculous things in the show but it is something else when you say it's the same as in the books because it really isn't and for a very long time. As someone who loves the books very much but thinks very very lowly about the show I think he difference between them is pretty obvious.

I'm not sure if you've ever listened to sports radio shows before, but that's how they are in general.

When people are uninformed as to what's actually happening in the show, I'd say that the show ISN'T catering to them since they are obviously not following what's going on.

Well if the show isn't catering to them than why are they keep watching it? Are people generally watching things they don't understand? Or is it maybe that the show does cater to them after all but sucks even in that thing?

I get where StepStark is coming from. It's the difference between Loras and Renly's love in the books and the...whatever it was, on the show.

Exactly. One more example of loosing any subtlety from the books just because D&D aren't able to do subtle in the show. And for the record many shows are subtle so it's not about the medium but about the writers.

In another words it was completely different than what the show did. You know it's one thing if you happen to like ridiculous things in the show but it is something else when you say it's the same as in the books because it really isn't and for a very long time. As someone who loves the books very much but thinks very very lowly about the show I think he difference between them is pretty obvious.

Well it's a good thing I didn't say the two were exactly the same then isn't it? I said she wants to have sex with him in the books too. Which is true. Please actually read what I wrote next time

Well it's a good thing I didn't say the two were exactly the same then isn't it? I said she wants to have sex with him in the books too. Which is true. Please actually read what I wrote next time

Well if it's only implied then it's not that she wants to have sex with him in the books TOO isn't it? When you use the word "too" it means something doesn't it? Implied is implied and knowing for sure is knowing for sure and in the books we don't know for sure while in the show it couldn't be any more clear. But if that is "too" for you then OK.

Well if the show isn't catering to them than why are they keep watching it? Are people generally watching things they don't understand? Or is it maybe that the show does cater to them after all but sucks even in that thing?

LMAO, that's hilarious. You seem to think that people actually care enough to pay attention beyond "Oh, that's cool". What, you think people love watching Dancing with the Stars because they know what the actual dances are? Of course not.

Lots of people watch popular shows and don't pay a lot of attention to them. The show doesn't cater to the casual viewer AT ALL. Hell, it doesn't even cater to the attentive viewer. It caters to the viewer who will watch it several times. Why? Because there's no way in hell you are going to get everything going on in the show (or even know who every character in the show is) the first time through. How do I know this? Because I didn't read the books before watching the first two seasons. Guess what...I was pretty fucking lost for a while and I didn't catch a lot of stuff the first time through.

Anyone who thinks that this show is 'dumbed down' has a skewed perception of what the medium is really capable of in the first place.

Well if it's only implied then it's not that she wants to have sex with him in the books TOO isn't it? When you use the word "too" it means something doesn't it? Implied is implied and knowing for sure is knowing for sure and in the books we don't know for sure while in the show it couldn't be any more clear. But if that is "too" for you then OK.

I thought it was crystal clear in ADWD that Mel wanted to jump Jon's bones and make a new shadow baby. The TV show conveyed the same point in 10 sec. Very efficient. Did we really need scene after scene of subtle glances, touching his shoulder, etc. etc. Show doesn't have time for that anyway.

When Sansa said that comment about Rhaegar kidnapping and raping Lyanna, and then Littlefinger had that look, I can see where people would think it helped confirm R + L = J. I think it is actually foreshadowing Sansa having been kidnapped and potentially raped by Littlefinger. I think they had sex either right before she dyed her hair (while they were on a high with getting away with killing her aunt and he was teaching her how to pleasure to manipulate), OR he is planning on having sex with her in the future.

This whole storyline they are putting Sansa in strikes me as a misdirection by littlefinger. I think he is telling Roose Bolton one thing, Sansa another. I do not think he has had any contact with Stannis but knows that he cannot sit at the wall with Bolton in Winterfell. I think Littlefinger, since he has dealt with the Iron Bank for years, as master of coin, feels he could have them transfer their financial backing to him, he already will have a larger army if he gets the Vale to send a force with him to Winterfell, austensibly to fight off Stannis( I still am interested how he will explain to Lord Royce how the Boltons got Sansa anyway) but when inside Winterfell, probably to attend the Wedding, they will turn on the Boltons and attack them and then attempt to finish off Stannis, so that littlefinger will have the girl he wants for himself and two kingdoms under his control. However, Sansa will have some surprises of her own I am sure, I think she will not go back with him if she can help it. She should find out that Rickon is still alive and that should be her primary goal, get him or get to him. It will be several races against time in Sansa's storyline this year.

Edited by Lord Damian

LMAO, that's hilarious. You seem to think that people actually care enough to pay attention beyond "Oh, that's cool". What, you think people love watching Dancing with the Stars because they know what the actual dances are? Of course not.

Lots of people watch popular shows and don't pay a lot of attention to them. The show doesn't cater to the casual viewer AT ALL. Hell, it doesn't even cater to the attentive viewer. It caters to the viewer who will watch it several times. Why? Because there's no way in hell you are going to get everything going on in the show (or even know who every character in the show is) the first time through. How do I know this? Because I didn't read the books before watching the first two seasons. Guess what...I was pretty fucking lost for a while and I didn't catch a lot of stuff the first time through.

Anyone who thinks that this show is 'dumbed down' has a skewed perception of what the medium is really capable of in the first place.

Well all that you say proves what I am saying, that they want to dumb down the story but they don't know how to do that, so they end up with this mess that is confusing instead of simple. People reread books to discover new layers and not because they don't understand what the hell happened, but the show is so confusing that people need to rewatch it just to be able to follow it. Confusion is not the same as complexity at all.

I thought it was crystal clear in ADWD that Mel wanted to jump Jon's bones and make a new shadow baby. The TV show conveyed the same point in 10 sec. Very efficient. Did we really need scene after scene of subtle glances, touching his shoulder, etc. etc. Show doesn't have time for that anyway.

Yes who needs subtlety when we can have boobs, right? Oh and yes, its always better to give time to Gilly's reading lessons then to Mel's relationship with Jon because Gilly's reading is definitely going to be more important for the endgame, right?