How would you rate episode 504?

Ran

How would you rate episode 504?  

499 members have voted

1. 1. What's your rating from 1-10, with 10 being the highest/best

I gave it a 9/10 because the first 50 mins were good and better than some stuff I've seen in the season so far. However, those last 10 mins just threw me for a loop and I don't know what to think. So I'm sticking with 9 because I enjoyed more of it than I didn't enjoy????

LIKED

--OMG THEY TALKED ABOUT HARENHALL AND RHAEGAR AND LYANNA. Holy. Crap. It's about FREAKING time. It's like D and D remembered that RL are kinda REALLY SUPER IMPORTANT for... let's call them J-shaped reasons. That conversation was great, though.

--I liked the Jaime and Bronn back and forth repartee getting to Dorne. They could be their own comedy show, followed by Jorah and Tyrion's show and Tyrion and Varys's show.

--I also thought the fight scene between Jaime, Bronn and the Dornish men was good.

--Show! Jorah actually merged with Book! Jorah for half a heartbeat when he hit Tyrion.

--I *loved* the Stannis and Shireen stuff and I normally find Stannis to be duller than dishwater. But that was FANTASTIC. And now it's sad because Shireen is probably going to burn, isn't she? Those looks between Selyse and Mel? Oh god in heaven. Run, Shireen.

--Really liked the talk between Selmy and Dany about Rhaegar. It was a sweet moment.

--As much as I hate her, Cersei getting the best of Lord Tyrell was good.

--Marg yelling at Tommen. Poor boy. He looks cowed by her.

--Glad to see they are going to keep Tommen as a nice boy who is very Un-Joffery.

--Jaime looking fondly at Tarth.

MIXED

--Littlefinger's plot. I dunno. Maybe I'm still just waiting for the emotion to hit that a Stark (a real one!) is back in WF. Thus far, nothing. Or maybe I just don't get his plan. Or think that he's giving very sound advice. "Outmaneuver them" Kay?

--The Sand Snakes seem mostly okay. Can't get a real feel for them yet.

DISLIKED

--I cannot with what they did to Ellaria. Just cannot.

--While I did like the Jaime and Bronn interactions, I hate the way Bronn described the Dornish as all made for fighting and fucking. The Dornish are more complicated than that, come on!

--THE HELL SELMY AND GREY WORM. WHAT IS THAT?! What in god's name is going on with this Meereen plot? So now it's just Daario, right? Daario is going to take over Selmy's plot in the end? UGH. And Selmy would never leave Dany so unattended. That just felt weird.

--Mel for the love of god, put on your clothes! The internal conflict for Jon was interesting but once again slightly (ok a bit more) gratuitous.

--The Faith Militant. Uh. I know I haven't read AFFC in a little bit but that was a bit...extreme, right?

Edited by BearQueen87

5/10.Glad I'm not on team Dorne because I'm sure if was I'd be crying myself to sleep tonight.

No, instead I'm just sitting here with dumb look on face, wondering what the hell I just watched.

Did anything make sense in this episode? Becuae it all seemed pretty convoluted to me (Especially Meeren. Meeren, after the Rhaeger story, quickly plunged into Craster Keep-level bad)

For all the people pissed about Edd not fetching Jon a block last week, if it had been thrown in there just as clumsily as "You know nothing, Jon Snow" and "All the smiles died", would you still be happy? or would your joy turn to ashes in your mouths?

A 10. Bonus for

- all the father-daughter stuff in the episode (Barristan/Dany (adopted), Littlefinger/Sansa (adopted, also creepy), Stannis/Shireen, Oberyn/Sand Snakes, Jaime/Myrcella)

- Jaime going "Tarth" with a dreamy face

- both fights

- Margaery getting exhausted by Tommen's childishness

- Mace bumbling about

- creepy Lancel

- all the history exposition

- Jon with Melisandre. Heh.

6/10 this week. This was really very jarringly different from what we're used to. If it weren't for 2 or 3 really good scenes it probably would be my least favorite episode ever. I haven't gotten caught up about much changes from the books, but what I will say is that when D&D do go their own way it's just very noticeable that they don't write as well as GRRM.

Pros

- Jaime/Bronn. As suspected I liked every scene with these two, and as expected the two play off each other well.

- Cersei/Marg/Tommen. This has moved to my favorite storyline over The Wall now. Poor Tommen is just being mentally torn to pieces by these women, Dormer & Headey are on absolute A-games right now.

- High Sparrow/Faith Militant. The scenes were pretty heavy handed to be perfectly honest, but I'm just glad this storyline is here and in full - now when do we get to see Oldtown?

- Stannis/Shireen. This scene should really tip show only viewers into Stannis support now. It summed the man up perfectly.

- Barristan's death. I actually enjoyed being surprised about something, and in thinking about it this should kick things along in Meereen faster, and Barry wasn't doing much or meant to do much (considering no Quentyn) from here anyway.

Cons

- Jon/Mel. I must have missed the point of this scene. Jon's resolve to the NW has already been tested several times over. Mel has an interest in Jon - his character, his potential, his power, his knowledge...but I don't know why that translates to sex or what she was trying to achieve. Just a gratuitous HBO steamy nude scene for the sake of it?...and "you know nothing Jon Snow" - ugh, really?

- Sansa/LF in the crypts. The dialogue of everything here was so rushed and what should be really weighty information was not landing how it should for a viewer. I love that there are callbacks to the tourney at Harrenhaal and the Rhaegar/Lyanna affair, but they skipped through it so quickly that if I was a show only viewer I could understand people getting a bit lost with it considering it hasn't been brought up in detail in quite a while.

- Ellaria/Sand Snakes. Scene looked great - location, visuals, costumes, props = all on point. Unfortunately that's where it ended - dialogue, acting, drama, fleshing out characters = not a good intro to the Sand Snakes.

- Tyrion/Jorah. Pretty dull. Only thing really enjoyable was the way Jorah dumped Tyrion into the boat.

- Hizdahr. We've had the same damn scene like 3 times now!

- SotH vs Unsullied. Wasn't digging the choreography of this fight. Felt like a cheesy martial arts movie. I was actually kinda glad Barristan died because if he beat those dozen or so Harpy's on his own in that situation it would have been laughable.

Edited by Cyvasse Khal

5/10

I was generous, because my heart has been broken by the death of one of the most honourable characters in the series who will be remembered in the show as the character whose plot value was thrown into the gutter. Barristan crossed half the world in order to tell Daenerys bits and pieces about her father and brother. That was his value in the show. And they are cutting characters to save money!?!?!? Wasn't the existence of Barristan on the show for two seasons a waste of money if this THIS THIS is to be his end. I cannot say enough bad things about D&D's writing and those of their co-workers. No logic, no production value, not even close to the word adaptation. They just invent as they go along and they avoid famous GRRM one-liners like a plague.

Stannis and Shireen scene was the highlight of the show. Juxtaposed with the looks Melisandre and Selise exchanged previously, it is pretty clear who is going to try what. I hope Stannis burns them while spitting on them. Interesting that the show is putting the blame for Shireen's greyscale on the Dornish, which makes sense, but was not at all hinted at in the books.

Melisandre was after some shadow babies. Will they ever stop undressing that poor woman? That was so stupid it does not even merit a comment.

The scene in the WF crypts is just a continuation of writing nonsense bonanza that is the show. Is Sansa foreshadowing her own rape? What IS the relationship between her and LF? Is she taunting him with her assessment that she may be a married woman when he returns? Or not? Or what? I bet even the show writers do not know the answer to their own conundrum. Why oh why was it so hard to leave fArya in the show? They could have ditched Myranda and no money would have been lost at all.

King's Landing - I liked zealots of the Seven. Very Savonarola-like. Lancel rocks. Great comeback. However, we have lost forever another honourable character - Loras who was replaced with some spoilt brat. So, now we know. All Tyrells are sluts. Easy. Excellent writing yet again. Can it be more stupid than this? Oh yes, it can, but I will leave it for the next paragraph. In this paragraph, I'd like to point out to another too obvious foreshadowing that Ser Trent may not be with us for long. Since I have no way of activating SPOILER option for some reason, I have to warn that the next sentence may be a SPOILER, so avert your sensitive eyes. Since Mace is travelling to Braavos, it is pretty clear who is going to meet whom in some theatre or the other. END OF SPOILER.

Dorne is so bad, I do not even have the strength to comment. Liked Tarth moment of Jaime's journey. Hated yet another stupid foreshadowing of Jaime's death in Brienne's arms.

Jorah and Tyrion. I just laughed through the whole thing. They are travelling from Volantis to Meereene in a dingy!!!! Lol. Lol. And lol. In order to do that, one must pass by old Valyria. In a dingy. I rest my case. We will see Jorah and Tyrion is season 8 if it is ever made. Oh, wait. I forgot that characters can be teleported along Planetos in the show. Oh, that's fine then. See them in Meereene in the next episode. :bang:

Edited by Modesty Lannister

A 10. Bonus for

- all the father-daughter stuff in the episode (Barristan/Dany (adopted), Littlefinger/Sansa (adopted, also creepy), Stannis/Shireen, Oberyn/Sand Snakes, Jaime/Myrcella)

- Jaime going "Tarth" with a dreamy face

- both fights

- Margaery getting exhausted by Tommen's childishness

- Mace bumbling about

- creepy Lancel

- all the history exposition

- Jon with Melisandre. Heh.

So it was as good as the Wall episode in the last season or episode 9 of season 1 when Ned was executed? Just asking ...

I could't believe my eyes how awful Dorne was. Not in terms of Martin's books, but just as a random show I watch. Shallow characters, 80's style poorly staged action, stupid monotonous location management. Rating Dorme alone I would give it 3/10 being very very generous.

Loved Sons of Harpy sequence. Poor Selmy (I'm sure he is alive though, he will be Belwas of the series)

Loved the Shireen scene of course as everyone - writing, performance, body language - everything in this scene is great. Kerry Ingram is becoming my favorite actress on the show.

Arya gets to kill Ser Meryn? Fine by me.

Lyanna and the blue rose and Harrenhall? Great. Finally.

Bored by faith militant and "Loras is gay" theme. Everything is one-dimensional, shallow and predictable in those episodes. Nothing awful, but not entertaining either.

7/10

Another decent enough episode, although my faith in the Winterfell story is dwindling. Littlefinger's plan is confusing and poorly conceived. I also found it amusing how they've ignored the Rhaegar history for four seasons now, but just decided to dump multiple scenes about it in one episode.

The Barristan ending was decent. The choreography and editing could have been better, and it suffers from having one too many flashy fights previously. Meereen has been handled reasonably well this season.

Winterfell was mostly good. Stannis/Shireen was nice, although they continue to be officiously unsubtle with Melisandre.

Sons of the Harpy was awful. They're like 80s villains: dressed in black with funny signs carved into their heads. And more ham-fisted, “they're homophobic, see how bad they are?”

Sand Snakes weren't much better. In particular that “badass” kill.

Edited by Sir Drew

So it was as good as the Wall episode in the last season or episode 9 of season 1 when Ned was executed? Just asking ...

This is not the discussion thread, but I'll indulge you. Sure. There were a lot of small great moments as opposed to one giant one, though, so that's a bit apples-to-oranges.

Also, 'just asking...' is a very common trolling tactic, so I'd avoid that if you don't want to be called out as a troll!

9/10
Story was progressed

Action scenes were on point.

Glad Bariston went out fighting.

Bron Jamie diagloue so good.

Mormont/Tyrion set up well for the next part of their arcs.

LF still alive

Sansa still alive

R+L=J Theory gaining momentum.

Stanis is still the manest.

Only things against the episide:

Sandsnakes weak, esp the dialogue.

This is not the discussion thread, but I'll indulge you. Sure. There were a lot of small great moments as opposed to one giant one, though, so that's a bit apples-to-oranges.

Also, 'just asking...' is a very common trolling tactic, so I'd avoid that if you don't want to be called out as a troll!

If you call every question trolling then ... ?! And you didn't answer the question since the Wall episode for example had many small great moments. Therefore I am to conclude that S05E04 = the Wall episode or the Blackwater episode in your book.

Edited by Modesty Lannister