How would you rate episode 504?

Ran

How would you rate episode 504?  

499 members have voted

1. 1. What's your rating from 1-10, with 10 being the highest/best

I was torn between a 7 and an 8, and at the end I've decided to be generous. After all, I had been complaining for the lack of backstory for four years, and this episode has been almost overstuffed with it.

Littlefinger+Sansa and Barristan+Dany were both great, although it would have been better if the two conversations would have been placed in different episodes. Stannis and Shireen was well done, and the final battle was one of the best choreographed fights in the show so far. The ridiculous intrdouction of the Sand Snakes was the weakest point by far.

I'm just not enjoying Dorne at all so far. Such a disappointment, although I suppose it hasn't really got going.

D&D made Dorne a generic Arabia land. And the Sand Snakes- just no on all levels. I loved them in AFFC but they were so cheesy and lame here.

I usually round up but couldn't bring myself to. do so today so an 8 in the voting.

Dorne is annoying me. I'm still worried for Sansa and to top it off I'm 99.9% sure Barristan is the book reading actor who was suprised at his characters death in show (he can't survive the attack can he?)

Watched the episode 4 weeks ago after the leak and I'm still pissed off Barry dies!!

8/10. I quite liked it, but didn't think it was great.

I'm happy with the plot movement in Meereen, and Barristan's apparent death, although I wasn't too impressed with the fight scene as a whole - it relied on the all-too-common trope of legendary badass warriors (Unsullied) suddenly become easily killed redshirts when the plot demands.

I really liked the King's Landings stuff, even if the Sparrows seemed surprisingly well-prepared for their transformation into the Faith Militant. I'm fine with D&D using Loras's sexuality as Cersei's tool to fight the Tyrells, but I wish the Faith's attitude toward homosexuality had been made clearer earlier on in the series.

The Wall was good - I was a bit, just a bit, skeptical of Melisandre's attempted seduction of Jon, but her delivery of "You know nothing" completely redeemed the scene (and indeed redeemed approximately 70% of the times I got annoyed by Ygritte saying it!).

I think the show is doing a great job with Stannis, although I never quite understood the hate for how D&D were handling Stannis earlier on. He was hard to like earlier on, and now he's becoming much more likeable at the Wall - doesn't that match the books?

Jamie and Bronn in Dorne, so far so good. Ellaria still OK, even if I miss the book version. Sand Snakes ... well, I'll reserve judgement.

So far the Sansa in Winterfell stuff is proceeding much more coherently than I'd have guessed a month ago. Part of me thinks that master-plotter Littlefinger would have a tighter plan, but then I start to think about just what he's doing in the books and, well, what the heck. I still have no clear idea of just how much Littlefinger or Sansa knows about what they've gotten themselves into, and I have a suspicion that the "Does Littlefinger know who Ramsey is?" question will remain just as unanswered as "Does Littlefinger know who Arya is?" at Harrenhal.

The backstory is great, and the show seems to have got better at delivering exposition. We heard two lengthy stories about Rhaegar, and Tyrion reminded everyone of Jorah's story, yet with all that exposition there was nary an exposed breast to be seen!

At the moment I'm guessing that the season will end with a cliffhanger with both Winterfell's and Jon's fates left unknown - and Season 5 will have Stannis entering the suddenly open doors of Winterfell, to find Sansa smiling coldly and at least one dead Bolton. (At least one Bolton needs to remain alive as an adversary in the North, until the Wall comes tumbling down, anyway.)

I really liked this one and yes I am a book reader.

Jon / Mel, yeah we didn't need her topless for that scene, but I am not complaining! At least the people bitching about men not being shown naked have to shut up since not one but two penisis were on screne in this episode.

Sansa / LF / Dany / Barriston, great hearing the different perspectives on Rheagar, and actually hearing of HIM and Lyanna! Got a lot of the backstory, very true to the books.

Sand snakes, ehh...didn't care for Dorne in books so thinking I will not care for it in show either.

Jorah and Tyrion, love to see just how quick Tyrion pieced together why Jorah is where he is, and Jorah basically just bitch slaps him.

Stannis and Shireen was great, you never get to see him like that.

Dangerously close to a 5 but I ended up giving it a 6. I would say slow and dull if it wasnt GOT but it just seems this season has little or no urgency. It lacks heart. Get out the paddles and put the spark back into it, please. JMHO

Most unbelievable scene yet - Based on the books half of the Unsullied should have held the other halves armour and handbags while they disposed ot the Sons of the Harpy minions and then gone to lunch but noooo, mask wearing untrained fighters kicked their butts. How can they even see to fight wearing those masks anyway?

Most disappointing characters yet - Elaria and the Sand Snakes.

Creepiest scene yet - Littlefinger kissing Sansa.

Worse Religious sect yet - The Army of the Great Sparrow. Even Kings back down to black robe wearing zealots. They arose as quickly as ISIS and copied their uniforms.

Saddest use of a character yet - Death of Sir Barristan. At least they let him take 15 or more that I counted Harpy Minions with him.

Best redemption of a phrase - "You know nothing, Jon Snow". What does she really mean or know?

Oh well, just another week in the alternate GOT universe created by the GOT TV show.

Edited by Ser Graymax

6. The Jon/Mel scene was odd and seemed gratuitous, Sansa and LittleFinger had some key dialogue but it was rushed, Dorne is awful, the sand snakes came across like aliens from a grade B sci/i-western combo movie, and 2 grown women are tearing a boy apart with their machinations. I did like the back story of Lyanna and Rhaeger. I did like Stannis hugging Shireen though now we know one of them is dying soon. This episode bored me.

Best episode this season so far! It was so intense! 9/10.

Best parts :

- Lyanna and Rhaegar's story,

- Cersei and the Faith (poor Loras, I'm really afraid for him :crying:)

- Jon and Mel,

- Stannis and his daughter (Stannis is portrayed in a really good way since his arrival at the Wall, I begin to like him now!)

- Sansa in the crypt,

- LF's plan revealed,

- Shit getting real in Mereen (RIP Barristan :crying: ).

Great episode.

The Sand Snakes couldn't act themselves into a community theatre production of "Our Town".

I miss Tyrion talking to Varys in a box. Tyrion talking to Jorah in a boat wasn't as good. Varys is now off to join The Blackfish, The Brotherhood, and Gendry.

Unsullied aren't the warriors they've been advertised to be.

My initial reaction after the episode was "What did I just watch?" Therefore, the rating can't be higher than a 4. I'm considering now whether it was better or worse than episode 2.

I was torn between a 7 and an 8, and at the end I've decided to be generous. After all, I had been complaining for the lack of backstory for four years, and this episode has been almost overstuffed with it.

Littlefinger+Sansa and Barristan+Dany were both great, although it would have been better if the two conversations would have been placed in different episodes. Stannis and Shireen was well done, and the final battle was one of the best choreographed fights in the show so far. The ridiculous intrdouction of the Sand Snakes was the weakest point by far.

Really? I thought it was bad. You can clearly see a bunch of the Harpies just standing around waiting their turn at Barristan or Grey Worm, despite the fact that there was plenty of room to surround them. And the Unsullied really do need short swords like in the books. I agree it was better than others, because at least in this case the "players" weren't randomly positioned all over from the start.

I gave the episode a 9. Love how I have no idea what will happen even tho I've read all the books. It's great being surprised and the actor choices for pretty much all the roles are perfectly spot on.

Edited by tallTale

I think people need to watch more closely or go back and rewatch. The Unsullied were badly outnumbered in every scene, sometimes like 6 to 1, so of course they lost. The Unsullied in the books die in similar attacks and are described to be at their best when in formation, which, in an ally, they are not in formation.

7/10

Loved the Wall stuff, especially Stan the Man with his daughter.

I don't mind the Faith Militia imprisoning Loras instead of Marg, but they grabbed him way too easily. Doesn't the heir to The Reach have some knights to protect him? Fucked up.

The Meereen stuff was decent, but it's idiotic how Barristan and the Unsullied gets taked out so easily by a bunch of untrained fools with no armour and small knives.

Jaime and Bronn are great together, but Jesus Christ, those Sand Snakes were corny as shit, even moreso than in the books (an achievment in itself)

7. Some serious highs and lows here.

The Faith Militant bit seemed extremely rushed; would have worked much better as a slow boil. The plot mechanics showed too much here. (Did I see Cersei with a note from Littlefinger in front of her as she met with the High Sparrow? What could possibly benefit him by suggesting that she restore the Faith Militant? Remember he is thick with the Tyrells as they were co-conspirators in Joff's murder). Still, this played out much more convincingly in the book, with the High Sparrow manipulating Cersei into thinking restoring the Faith Militant was her idea.

The Sand Snakes scene was one of the worst GoT scenes to date. All downhill after watching Ellaria ride across the sand on horseback.

That said, I love the Jaime/Bronn adventure. When do they greenlight Better Call Bronn?

Stannis/ Shireen. Calling it: Mel says they have to burn Shireen to guarantee victory at Winterfell, Stannis refuses, Stannis fails/ dies nobly. Anyway, nice scene.

Nice send-off for Barristan; opens the door for Tyrion/Jorah to be appealing as Westerosi advisors. Still think they'll be enslaved on the way.

Speaking of Tyrion/Jorah - Jorah's casual brutality was a genuine shock as Show Tyrion has usually seemed insulated. I like his theft of the boat, too.