[BOOK SPOILERS] What your non-reader friends/family thought and their predictions

Hubby was disappointed in the Unsullied's performance against the SotH and gutted by Ser Barristan. Seeing Tyrion and the dragons in next week's teaser made up for it, though. "It's about time. Tyrion needs to see some dragons."

Mel's "You know nothing, Jon Snow" gave him chills.

And on seeing Jaime grab the sword: "USE what you HAVE." The "idiot" was unspoken but implied.

Not much from my lady this week.

- Finally connected Meryn Trant to Arya's list, and the consequence of sending him to Braavos.

- Thought the Mel & Jon scene was dumb.

- Liked Shireen & Stannis.

- Picked up on Littlefinger's reaction to Sansa's understanding of the Rhaegar & Lyanna thing.

- Silent through all Dorne stuff. Doesn't like the Sand Snakes at this point, even after being reminded they want to avenge Oberyn, whom she loved.

- Asked if Barry's Rhaegar was the same Rhaegar as in Littlefinger's story, now wants to know why he's important.

- Called Barry's death at Dany's line about the song.

- "Just open the pits, you idiot."

Post show: She doesn't understand what the Sons of the Harpy want, what they represent, and why there are so many of them. She compared them to the Faith Militant, after comparing the Faith Militant to ISIS. She thinks Ramsay is going to kill Sansa.

So my non-reader best friend was surprised by how easily the unsullied went down, which I concur. I understand they had to 'put over' Barriston's skill but if a bunch of them are gonna drop without doing any damage in return I would have liked to have seen them maybe holding the line or defending someone.

Everyone looked at me weirdly when I did a fist pump at: 'The North remembers.'

No one remembered who the hell Rhaegar was.

Everyone but me seems to think that Grey Worm will pop up next episode like, "Whew... Thank god that when I was stabbed thirty seven times, they missed every vital organ."

My Unsullied loved the episode, but didn't catch any of the R+L=J hints at all. I mean NOTHING. I think it was because it was Littlefinger doing all the backstory that it didn't connect with my unsullied. I'm not even sure they understood who the hell Rhaegar was. It would have been better if Barristan told the story to Dany, instead of the sentimental minstrel story that not one of my unsullied cared about. They needed to explain who Rhaegar was, because his name came into this episode outta nowhere.

My unsullied were also grossed out by the LF/Sansa kiss, and we all started laughing loudly when Mel said, "You know nothing Jon Snow." It was so corny, even the unsullied found it ridiculous.

My unsullied are quite enjoying the Jamie/Bronn adventure and their fisticuffs in Dorne. They were less impressed with the Sand Snakes.

Unsullied: "Who are they?"

Me: "Well, they are the badass daughters of Obyern Martell. They call them the Sand Snakes. They are really cool and kick ass!"

Unsullied: "Oh. Ok." *crickets*

Obviously, the Sand Snakes scene left them unconvinced.

Finally, my unsullied were more upset about Grey Worm than they were about Barristan. I tried to explain to them how amazing Barristan is in the books and what a great story line he has in aDwD, but they all agreed that show Barristan was boring. It broke my heart to know that my unsullied would never get to see Ser Barristan Badass take out the Sons of Harpy while Dany is on vacation. What a sad thing for them to miss out on. They also thought that the Unsullied went down like punks during the fight.

My Unsullied loved the episode, but didn't catch any of the R+L=J hints at all. I mean NOTHING. I think it was because it was Littlefinger doing all the backstory that it didn't connect with my unsullied. I'm not even sure they understood who the hell Rhaegar was. It would have been better if Barristan told the story to Dany, instead of the sentimental minstrel story that not one of my unsullied cared about. They needed to explain who Rhaegar was, because his name came into this episode outta nowhere.

My unsullied were also grossed out by the LF/Sansa kiss, and we all started laughing loudly when Mel said, "You know nothing Jon Snow." It was so corny, even the unsullied found it ridiculous.

My unsullied are quite enjoying the Jamie/Bronn adventure and their fisticuffs in Dorne. They were less impressed with the Sand Snakes.

Unsullied: "Who are they?"

Me: "Well, they are the badass daughters of Obyern Martell. They call them the Sand Snakes. They are really cool and kick ass!"

Unsullied: "Oh. Ok." *crickets*

Obviously, the Sand Snakes scene left them unconvinced.

Finally, my unsullied were more upset about Grey Worm than they were about Barristan. I tried to explain to them how amazing Barristan is in the books and what a great story line he has in aDwD, but they all agreed that show Barristan was boring. It broke my heart to know that my unsullied would never get to see Ser Barristan Badass take out the Sons of Harpy while Dany is on vacation. What a sad thing for them to miss out on. They also thought that the Unsullied went down like punks during the fight.

lol, I have to say the Sand Snakes were unconvincing in the books, even less so now. They always struck me as playing at war, I kept rerunning the Catelyn speech about the Knights of Summer in my head. They may have Oberyn's blood, his training, his fire---but they're still just playing. It would be terrific if they're summarily defeated by such a weary veteran as Bronn and it dawns on them just how much further they have to go for the attitude to match their reality.

Pissed off at Ser Barristan getting shanked. Like. Pissed off. If he's dead then god help us all.

He is. The actor confirmed it, and his corpse is shown in the 5x05 preview.

My oldest sister - unsullied

Cersie created a monster by arming the religeous

Stannis is a good father married to a complet bitch

Mel's ruby neckles was glowing and she is a whore

Littlefinger is the biggest perv in westeros with Tyrion gone

Sansa is a single flower in a dark forrest (I really appreciate this)

Jaime and Bronn seem to have no plan whatsoever

Sand Snakes look stupid

Ellaria is a joke

Ser Jorah Mormont is a dick

Tyrion cannot catch a break

Dany will fall even deeper into Daario's arms

Where is Arya?

He is. The actor confirmed it, and his corpse is shown in the 5x05 preview.

Oh dear. You know who's going to get it in the neck, though? Me, they're going to be convinced I've been lying to them about everything (I let it slip that this should be a big season for Barristan the Bold)

An Unsullied co-worker (who've I've discussed the R+L=J theory with) doesn't believe anything that comes out of Littlefinger's mouth, so ignored the tourney story.

Even though it's essentially the same story Oberyn told last season.

Had to pause the episode for five minutes to explain the Martells to my dad.

("So those are Oberyn's sisters?" No, daughters. He had one sister but she died. "WHAT? Really? When?" Sigh.) I should probably sketch him a timeline and family tree.

Also had to pause for another five minutes to explain the High Sparrow and Faith Militant (which we had covered that morning, too). This was followed by a rant about how much he hates Cersei and how much of a wuss Tommen is. ("Joffrey would have had all of them killed!" Yeah. Tommen isn't Joffrey. That's the point). Somehow this evolved into a rant about how much he hates Sansa.

He was floored when he realized it was Jorah that captured Tyrion, and NOT the Hound like he had previously thought. He was excited to see Jorah again but upset that his theory was wrong.

Also didn't believe me when I, too, was shocked at Barristan's death. ("You've read the books!" THIS WASN'T IN THE BOOKS! "So he lives then, in the show" I DON'T KNOW!)

He's also convinced Daenerys' reign is going to go downhill fast. And just realized this episode that she's the Mad King's daughter and actually has a legitimate claim to the throne. Can't say I blame him for missing that, though? All he cares about is Stannis, Arya, Tyrion, and making "handless Jaime" jokes. Plus he's out in the kitchen getting snacks for 25% of each episode and won't let me pause it.

As of episode 2 of this season, my Unsullied brother guessed without much confidence that Jon is a "Targaryen bastard" but has yet to make the connection to Lyanna. If he doesn't do so after this episode I might disown him because he watches a lot of complicated TV shows and is good at guessing what happens. I'm objectively offended that he hasn't figured it out yet.

Overall, he is ok with the show, but it's easy to be ok with it when you haven't read the books. I thought they had done a wonderful job, more or less, through the first 3 seasons, and the 4th was still pretty good, but for me it is starting to go down hill fast with this 5th season.

I have dear friends over every two weeks to catch up. After Episode 4 I asked them what they thought of the fifth season so far. Much to my astonishment they used words like "adsorbed" and "entranced" to describe their reaction. I would use words like " underwhelmed" and "uninspired" to describe my reaction. While I remind myself to look at this product as something only mildly related to the books, perhaps I have to try harder. .

Oh dear. You know who's going to get it in the neck, though? Me, they're going to be convinced I've been lying to them about everything (I let it slip that this should be a big season for Barristan the Bold)

I'm not so sure that he dies right away, though. Just showing his corpse doesn't mean that he's dead from the start. I would guess they didn't cut his throat for a reason.

My friend figured out R+L=J and she has basically avoided the internet. It was quite fun to watch. She gleefully told me about how Ned would never sleep with some whore and that it has to be Dany's uncle Rager so Jon is Dany's brother!

Yes...yes he is...

My unsullied boyfriend:

Completely unsurpised by Jorah taking Tyrion to Dany:

Me: isn't that a funny twist?

Him: what are you talking about we knew that last week?

Me: no... Why didn't you assume he was taking him to Cersei?

Him: cause that's Jorah

(My brain: you know Jorah, but I have to explain Stannis to you every time he comes on screen?!?!?)

Didn't pay any attention to LF's speech:

Him: What did he say?

Me: (repeats)

Him: oh. Dude burnt his wife.

Me: yeah, but it's really interesting because of how it started the war that lead to all the stuff

Him: wait? Are these people dead?

Me: yeah, but it's important because -

Him: no. Stop. I don't care.

Also! He thinks LF is pretty nice guy besides for the creepy pedophilia thing. I've tried to explain to him that it was his fault Ned died, but he's forgotten about the dagger, and I sense he only half believes me. Sigh.

Honestly, these unsullied threads are my favorite to read each episode, and I get MIGHTY disappointed that my unsullied husband really doesn't have any strong opinions, and just goes with the flow, even when he has no idea what is going on.

I live vicariously through you guys, I hope you know.

My sister felt like they were shouting RLJ from the rooftops, but her husband who's completely Unsullied did make the inference that Mel sensed Jon's royal lineage. He's still not sure who the mother is though.

Sister wanted to know if Grey Worm survived, and was impressed by Barristan and Grey Worm, but felt like they were the only capable members and that the Unsullied were all talk ("they're like the Putty Patrol"). She also asked "where's Bran" again, I think it's her catchphrase. She believes Grey Worm will pull through but that Barristan is dead.

Both think Jon Snow is the man this season. I'm dreading and hoping for the Ides this year, because they both said the Red Wedding was one of the most painful things they'd ever experienced TV-wise. They also said Oberyn was the coolest guy ever...and that's why he died.

Sister wanted to know if Grey Worm survived, and was impressed by Barristan and Grey Worm, but felt like they were the only capable members and that the Unsullied were all talk ("they're like the Putty Patrol"). She also asked "where's Bran" again, I think it's her catchphrase. She believes Grey Worm will pull through but that Barristan is dead.

Just asked my unsullied bf if he's missed a character this season.

No. Who?

The little boy.

(Turns to stare at me) oh my god. Hodor!

Yeah.... He hadn't even missed Bran.....

Archived