Varys-Illyrio and the Bottom of the Crackpot.

Arken

Hey guise. First time poster here and relatively new to the forum but I've spent the past few days reading thru the Theory and mystery compendium and theres one thing ive noticed a distinct lack of mention, and thats the massive nation of Yi-Ti.

Ive heard that GRRM said that these lands are relatively unimportant to the story, but that aside I have a theory: Varys is a spy or agent of Yi-Ti.

Bear with me. I about to go back and find the exact parts which back me up, but i wanted to get this out there first. This is a crazy theory but hey, were all entitled no?

Yi Ti is described in aWoIaF as a massive nation with one immortal God King ruling over an otherwise crazy assortment of lower kings and tax collectors and whatnot. Yi-Ti apparently rivals old valrya in size and scope, and at one point one of the kings had a valyrian dragon rider for a bride and they kept the dragon at court. (I dont remember if they said what gender the dragon was but thats not really too important.) If there was a dragon rider at this court it wouldnt be beyond reason that the same court might have a supply of dragon eggs. Also in Yi-Ti there were the 9 Eunuchs who lived a life as a normal man, having a family and whatnot, then when it came to be their time to rule they would get snipped so they would focus solely on ruling and the the "good of the realm".

Now this is where the conjecture and wild speculation start.

Varys has lied about almost everything, and his age is actually truly unknown. We can assume he is roughly the same age as Illryio but even that is (I don't think) ever explicitly stated. Now we know the Long Night was a global thing, as a large portion of the world has some version of that myth or the AA myth. I believe that Yi-Ti has one as well, and seeing as they are a nation that allegedly goes back to before the long night, they would remember it more clearly than the other younger nations where most of the story takes place. In preparation for the return of the white walkers and the long night, which they would have to have seen coming in some way which i haven't figured out yet, sent out an agent who would be entirely committed to making the prophecy of a hero who would save them from the night would come true. As was their fashion they sent a Eunuch, Varys.

Varys then goes to pentos or one of the free cities where he meets a contact there, Illyrio who he co-opts into this conspiracy, most likely because he knows a great deal about Aegons conspiracy already, or maybe because a Targ is more likely to be AA than some others in the mix. Seeing that this is clearly a bigger deal than who sits on an iron chair, Illiryo agrees and then the timeline we have established for him begins.

Extra bonus, Dany's eggs might very well have been the eggs left in Yi-Ti from the old dragon queen they had back in the day.

What ya guys think? Be Gentle.

Definitely an interesting idea. I'd have to look into the books, but off the top of my head I can't think of anything that explicitly rules this out as a possibility.. Except for GRRM saing Yi Ti isn't that important, but I guess that could be dismissed as a red herring.

Good first post!

Archived