[book+show spoilers] the crow festher

Just watched it a second time - didn't notice the first time.

It could be a reference to BloodRaven and Bran, reminding us that the 3 Eyed Raven was real, not just in Bran's mind, when it led him into the crypts.

It also serves as a reference to Jon, suggesting Lyanna's child by Rhaegar is a crow. The whole episode was quite Jon is Rhaegar and Lyanna's child centric, there were:

Mel looking at Jon and talking about a Lord.

Mel wanting to fuck Jon, because obviously there is power in King's semen, as well as blood.

The crow feather near Lyanna's statue.

LF talking about Lyanna and Rhaegar.

Sansa disclosing that Rhaegar definitely got it on with Rhaegar and LF raising his eyebrow at the notion of it being a rape.

Finally, Barristan telling Dany about older brother Rhaegar, letting the audience know that his son may be more directly in the Targ line for the throne than Dany.

But, what if it is about both Bran and Jon? What if it is saying that Jon is Lyanna's son, Azor Ahai Reborn and he will come under BloodRaven's control, like Bran?

Reminds us of the R+R+L that led to the war, also in the discussion thread, I put in the symbolism of feathers, so it could be hinting things about Sansa.

Sansa leaves the crypts still holding the feather.

I thought this whole episode was fruaght with R+L=J clues.

Firstly, Stannis/Selyse/Mel: Selyse talking about how Jon is Ned's bastard, Stannis replying "maybe, but that was not Ned Stark's way." Then Mel talking about the power of kingsblood or something (can't remember exactly, I watched a while ago).

Mel trying to make shadow-babies with Jon - we know she needs king's blood for her magic, so why else would she choose Jon?

Barry and Dany discussing Rhaegar - reminding show-watchers that Rhaegar did actually exist.

And finally, the big one: Sansa and LF in the tomb. With a freaking crow's feather. Right after a scene, IIRC, of Jon at the Wall, of people talking about crows and kingsblood and all that crazy stuff. LF pointing out that it may not have been rape, that Lyanna could have gone willingly. Talking about all the mystery that surrounds the whole beginning of RR. All in the Winterfell crypts, in front of Lyanna's statue, and I even think LF talked about winter roses in some way. I know they didn't include the blue winter rose in a wall of ice in-show, but you never know, it could always come up again. Maybe they'll bring back Quaithe or Dany will have a dream or something.

To me, that was one of the only scenes I approve of this season. Sansa Stark in the crypts of Winterfell, holding a crow's feather and talking about Rhaegar and Lyanna - waking dragons from the stone, anyone?!?!? (I know Sansa is not AA, but that could be D&D giving at least a little nod to the prophecy).

Firstly, Stannis/Selyse/Mel: Selyse talking about how Jon is Ned's bastard, Stannis replying "maybe, but that was not Ned Stark's way." Then Mel talking about the power of kingsblood or something (can't remember exactly, I watched a while ago).

Mel trying to make shadow-babies with Jon - we know she needs king's blood for her magic, so why else would she choose Jon?

Barry and Dany discussing Rhaegar - reminding show-watchers that Rhaegar did actually exist.

And finally, the big one: Sansa and LF in the tomb. With a freaking crow's feather. Right after a scene, IIRC, of Jon at the Wall, of people talking about crows and kingsblood and all that crazy stuff. LF pointing out that it may not have been rape, that Lyanna could have gone willingly. Talking about all the mystery that surrounds the whole beginning of RR. All in the Winterfell crypts, in front of Lyanna's statue, and I even think LF talked about winter roses in some way. I know they didn't include the blue winter rose in a wall of ice in-show, but you never know, it could always come up again. Maybe they'll bring back Quaithe or Dany will have a dream or something.

To me, that was one of the only scenes I approve of this season. Sansa Stark in the crypts of Winterfell, holding a crow's feather and talking about Rhaegar and Lyanna - waking dragons from the stone, anyone?!?!? (I know Sansa is not AA, but that could be D&D giving at least a little nod to the prophecy).

That's all good points. But to be a devil's advocate - about Stannis and Melisande's points - Melisande need not to suspect about Jon's true heritage.

He is a Ned Stark's bastard - brother to Robb Stark - former King of the North and descendant of Kings of Winter. The royal blood Melisande is lusting for can be just Stark's blood not necessarily Targ's. She is not picky that way - any type of royal blood will do.

It was not a crow's feather.

That was the feather that Robert put on Lyanna's tomb in the first episode of season 1. IMO I think the feather was from a raven (possibly the 3 eyed Raven) that was in the crypts of Winterfell prior to the show's beginning. I think them showing it was a way to remind us of that and at the same time draw a connection between the mystery of Lyanna/Raegar and Bran's significance in the possible reveal.

That's all good points. But to be a devil's advocate - about Stannis and Melisande's points - Melisande need not to suspect about Jon's true heritage.

He is a Ned Stark's bastard - brother to Robb Stark - former King of the North and descendant of Kings of Winter. The royal blood Melisande is lusting for can be just Stark's blood not necessarily Targ's. She is not picky that way - any type of royal blood will do.

This, but I am quietly cheering on R+L=J.

I have always wondered about the feather from the very first time Robert placed it in Lyanna's statue's hand. Why a feather? Why not a flower? Why not anything else? Why, specifically, did he choose a feather?

It could be reading way too much into it, but it just seems odd that Robert would put a feather in her hand. It seems fairly unique for no real reason.

I have always wondered about the feather from the very first time Robert placed it in Lyanna's statue's hand. Why a feather? Why not a flower? Why not anything else? Why, specifically, did he choose a feather?

It could be reading way too much into it, but it just seems odd that Robert would put a feather in her hand. It seems fairly unique for no real reason.

true, why a feather?

Has the show put any stock that ANY kind of King's Blood will do for her? Would Dany's blood work since she has a better claim to the throne then Stannis? Would Tommen's work even though he isn't the true king? Mel's rules are so poorly established and the show hasn't delved into the linage of Kings of Winter.

IT is a good devil's advocate point, but it seems the that it is another in a long line of R+L=J hints this episode was clubbing us over the head with (which I don't mind...we still don't know if it will matter).

As for the feather. No question it is the feather King Robert left there back in episode 1. I watched the episode without the previously on and figured that out.

I don't think it really signifies anything. Robert left a feather at her tomb back in season 1 as well:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Rlflp7s66s

Could be the same feather - just aged.

I thought it was just the same feather Robert laid on her tomb in S1. It was all dusty, presumably from being in the tombs for so long.

I was 1/2 expecting Sansa or LF to notice missing swords while they were down there.

It is Robert's feather, and I think the significance is that even Lyanna's statue spurned Robert's affections.

That's an interesting take on it, because I also believe that the feather was some sort of affectionate token that he left her.

So if it isn't a crows feather, what type of bird did it come from?

Benioff says in this video that the feather is from an southern, exotic bird:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=geye-7d5RM8

Archived