[Book Spoilers] Likely Hizdahr zo Loraq is secretely behind the Sons of the Harpy?

I think that show-Hizdar is, or at least know, who is commanding the Sons of the Harpy, but I also believe the movement doesn't have a single head. (Book-Hizdar definetly knows who are the Sons).

I don't think Daario is involved with the Sons. After Ser Barristan Selmy "The Bold", former commander of the Kingsguard, slayer of Maelys I "The Mounstrous" and hero of Duskensdale; was killed, is obvious the show needs someone else to lead the Queens' force in the upcoming Battle of Meeren. I believe that will be Daario, althought I don't know if the Battle will be shown in this season.

Books = Green Grace

Show = Hizdahr imo.

It's a shame they didn't cast the Green Grace in the show. I liked her interactions with Dany in the book.

Yeah I would have preferred they replaced Hizdahr with GG entirely. Would have been a nice call back to Mirri Mazz Duur. Dany has a thing of trusting elderly women too much.

also woulda been a nice parallel to have Temple of the Graces focus alongside the Faith Militant story and R'hllor at the Wall.

I don't think we will get the battle of Mereen. They will get Dany to Westeros within the first 2 episodes of Season 6. They show needs to progress or the viewers will get bored.

Honestly I agree with this. I doubt we'll get Battle of Meereen. There's limited time for Dany to move her butt across the ocean and then spend time beginning her conquest (it won't happen overnight after all, even with dragons). Also so many characters involved in that battle's makeup are missing, for example Victarion/any Kraken contingent. Tyrion looks like he'll be ending up inside Meereen walls before the season is out, too, which hasn't happened in the books because of said battle.

I don't think we will get the battle of Mereen. They will get Dany to Westeros within the first 2 episodes of Season 6. They show needs to progress or the viewers will get bored.

Agreed. I can already see promotional material and trailers for Season 6 showing Dany reaching Westeros on Drogon and how successful that could be in bringing interest to an all-time high.

Here's a half-baked crackpot I just came up with:

What if Daario is also behind the Sons of the Harpy?

Potential clues:

- He and Hizdahr went to Yunkaii, just the two of them, and mysteriously came back with a suspicious peace agreement. That little roadtrip could've been the perfect opportunity to plan something together.

- Hizdahr wants to open the pits. Daario also told Dany she should open the pits and then told his rags to riches story

- He conveniently knew exactly where that particular Son of the Harpy was hiding that one time. Could it be he ratted on one of his own to avoid suspicions?

- As far as I remember, the SotH only target Unsullied, not Second Sons

- In the last episode, Barristan offers to accompany Dany to her Council Chamber, but Daario offers to go himself instead. Could it be that he was trying to lure Barry into a trap, to get rid of one of Dany's most loyal protectors?

- We know in the books Dany is betrayed by another sellsword captain, but in the absence of Ben Plumm, that role might go to Daario

- We know D&D love shocking twists

Now, the counterargument:

- If Daario is plotting Dany's downfall, why doesn't he just kill her when they're alone having sex?

Because then the Unsullied would tear him in half. He needed to weaken the Unsullied first, as he has done now

- What's in it for Daario?

Well, gold and women are the usual incentives, once Meereen falls

I'd love for Daario to be the Harpy's main dagger, because I'm sick of book Daario and show Daario. The character is inconsistently written and only exists to push Dany in different directions. Give him a little unrevealed backstory for motivation and let him fry when Drogon (hopefully) goes ballistic in ep 9, but let him reveal that the conspiracy doesn't die with him before he goes up in flames.

It just might be more fun to know that he has some unrevealed connection to the Golden Company, like he's the Grandson of Bittersteel or some other grand bastard (book spitballing, I know it doesn't make sense), or he was hired by the wise masters to infiltrate and inform on Dany before getting her associates murdered (show spitballing). Make the character more than "I have a dick and I have weapons that look like naked women and I have a blue forked goatee".

I do think that no matter who the Harpy is, it's definitely Tyrion's chance to gain Dany's trust by figuring it out and being correct.

-snip-

A solid theory, and it'd be interesting if this turned out to be the case. The only counterargument (of sorts) I have to add is that as far as I know yes, the Unsullied were the main targets. But perhaps that's purely because they're former slaves, and SotH don't think highly of "free" slaves?

In any event, Daario seems like a fickle guy. I don't expect him to be around Dany as she heads into Westeros, but I could be wrong. If so, then he's either leaving or betraying in some way, for which he will be punished.

Here's a half-baked crackpot I just came up with:

What if Daario is also behind the Sons of the Harpy?

Potential clues:

- He and Hizdahr went to Yunkaii, just the two of them, and mysteriously came back with a suspicious peace agreement. That little roadtrip could've been the perfect opportunity to plan something together.

- Hizdahr wants to open the pits. Daario also told Dany she should open the pits and then told his rags to riches story

- He conveniently knew exactly where that particular Son of the Harpy was hiding that one time. Could it be he ratted on one of his own to avoid suspicions?

- As far as I remember, the SotH only target Unsullied, not Second Sons

- In the last episode, Barristan offers to accompany Dany to her Council Chamber, but Daario offers to go himself instead. Could it be that he was trying to lure Barry into a trap, to get rid of one of Dany's most loyal protectors?

- We know in the books Dany is betrayed by another sellsword captain, but in the absence of Ben Plumm, that role might go to Daario

- We know D&D love shocking twists

Now, the counterargument:

- If Daario is plotting Dany's downfall, why doesn't he just kill her when they're alone having sex?

Because then the Unsullied would tear him in half. He needed to weaken the Unsullied first, as he has done now

- What's in it for Daario?

Well, gold and women are the usual incentives, once Meereen falls

When would he have time for all this? He still needs to head back west and stake his claim after his brother falls from a bridge.

When would he have time for all this? He still needs to head back west and stake his claim after his brother falls from a bridge.

Even if he's Euron (and he's not), Balon is never falling from that bridge. He's gonna live forever.

In the show they have not built up any other characters in the city. So yeah they are probably going to make Hizdahr the Harpy. Otherwise there's no dramatic effect and it would be silly to have someone whom the audience don't even know to spring up from nowhere be the head of the rebellion that has been building up for several episodes.

In the book they hinted strongly at this possibility.

No. Green Grace is the Harpy.

Since there is no Green Grace in the show, maybe Hizdahr will really be the Harpy, although it does not make any sense given that Harpy is a female figure.

I kind of hope Hizdar is not the Harpy, because he actually seems quite similar to the book version, or perhaps even a better person. Hizdar is slimy in the book, but not particularly duplicitious. It doesn't seem to have occurred to him that Dany might not want to watch slaves murdering each other in Daznak's, or that she could possibly object to slavery right outside Mereens' walls.

However, they may go that way for simplicity sake, in which case the show version is a much better player of the game than the book version (since he's basically the Green Grace and Hizdar both at once - he'll marry Dany and take power directly, rather than doing it through another).

I think that show-Hizdar is, or at least know, who is commanding the Sons of the Harpy, but I also believe the movement doesn't have a single head. (Book-Hizdar definetly knows who are the Sons).

I don't think Daario is involved with the Sons. After Ser Barristan Selmy "The Bold", former commander of the Kingsguard, slayer of Maelys I "The Mounstrous" and hero of Duskensdale; was killed, is obvious the show needs someone else to lead the Queens' force in the upcoming Battle of Meeren. I believe that will be Daario, althought I don't know if the Battle will be shown in this season.

Personally, I think that will be Tyrion and Jorah. Daario will command his second sons, or possibly be killed in Daznak's. I don' tbelieve he's disloyal to Dany in either medium.

I kind of hope Hizdar is not the Harpy, because he actually seems quite similar to the book version, or perhaps even a better person. Hizdar is slimy in the book, but not particularly duplicitious. It doesn't seem to have occurred to him that Dany might not want to watch slaves murdering each other in Daznak's, or that she could possibly object to slavery right outside Mereens' walls.

However, they may go that way for simplicity sake, in which case the show version is a much better player of the game than the book version (since he's basically the Green Grace and Hizdar both at once - he'll marry Dany and take power directly, rather than doing it through another).

Personally, I think that will be Tyrion and Jorah. Daario will command his second sons, or possibly be killed in Daznak's. I don' tbelieve he's disloyal to Dany in either medium.

Show!Hizdahr is not a slimy person and he does not resemble the Book!Hizdahr.

While there's obviously a ways to go in this plot, there as yet hasn't been any suggestion of a controlling mind behind it.

I expect TV Hizdahr will be either (1) exactly what he appears to be (a sort of middle-ground member of the Meereenese slaver class), and will thus be killed in the Harpy attack at Daznak's, or (2) will be associated with/leading the Sons, and will be killed by Dany's forces at Daznak's.

In the book they hinted strongly at this possibility.

He hasn't tried to woo Dany yet in the show, but puts on the appearance of being an earnest nobleman who genuinely wants to help her rule effectively.

And who is that sneaky whore?

Honestly, I think the books hint that it's someone else entirely and make Hizdar a red herring. But they haven't made an appearance in the show yet, so they might change it to Hizdar in the show for the sake of simplifying the plot.

I believe the Harpy is Reznak mo Reznak

I'm not sure if Selmy died. Yes he was stabbed... a few times, but I'm holding out that he will not die. Well, we will know in Eps 5.

Archived