[Book Spoilers Inc WoW Chapters] Ser Barristan Selmy

I've been convinced for awhile now that Barristan will die in TWOW, likely at the hands of Victarion. Since Victarion isn't in the show, and they probably aren't delving into the battle of fire stuff either, they needed to kill him off some other way. Killed by Harpy's with daggers isn't the best way imo, but it's acceptable I suppose. I wonder why they couldn't just have swords though.

Just another peculiar decision by D&D, right up there with changing the "fetch me a block" line.

If Daario Nablaharis takes over Barristan's role in the siege I will lose my shit completely. What a stupid rewrite. The greatest warrior Westoros has ever seen killed by some upper class Meerenese who was probably never trained in arms and had a slave to wipe his ass for him.

Two things:

1. The Unsullied went out like punks. It would have been much better to see them form a shield wall to coolly and calmly lay down their lives to protect something of great importance. Instead they looked like a bunch of five year olds playing soccer.

2. Daario and Darkstar are the Gary Stu's of Westeros. I know prop bets have popped up in Westeros before (Ser Patrek) so I wonder if GrrM lost a bet and had to let thirteen year olds pitch him characters: "So yeah... Darkstar dresses in all black and he hates his stupid brother. He's of the night." "Yeah? Well Daario is this super sick Bro who can F_ck all night and fight all day. He's like super smart and he gets to f_ck Dany too cuz like she's hot bro.... and his swords will be made to look like naked bi_ches and his armor is designed by Ed Hardy!"

It would've been more fitting to have Barristan die defending his queen. It wouldn't have required changing the sequence too much.

I thought that was going to happen when I heard rumors about the he would go down , thing that surprises me is that all this happened by E4, my guessing it was up around Ep7.

Very fair point! My argument was more along the lines that why does Dany's entourage need to be streamlined at this point? Tyrion is on his way - but not quite there yet - and there's lots of room for multiple advisors to the Queen. She needs a small council just as much as any ruler of the Seven Kindgoms did, and right now all she's got is Daario and a wounded Grey Worm.

Yes I was wondering that too. Not only Tyrion but Jorah also , tho does not seem to be any Jorah interaction till E9.

It's true Dany has not had That many around her all along. I notice Missandei is in the mix in E1 and E2 , at the table.

In fact I sort of expected Mossador to last longer than 2 episodes.

Episode 10 should be interesting to see what the hell the show does with Tyrion, Jorah, Daario and Missandei and Grey Worm , if he's alive ... that's real puzzle considering what we know about Winds of Winter now.

I am livid about what happened last night. I never had any illusions that he was going to survive in the books, but they a living legend get butchered in the streets by thugs. So stupid.

Most of the characters in Game of Thrones are butchered in inglorious ways. I don't see why Selmy should be any different.

I'm holding hope that Ser Grandfather ends up surviving.

If the writers were going to kill him off, why did Greyworm save him from having his throat slashed at the very end of the episode? Wouldn't it be easier to give him the "red smile" and be done with it?

If the writers were going to kill him off, why did Greyworm save him from having his throat slashed at the very end of the episode? Wouldn't it be easier to give him the "red smile" and be done with it?

I think you're out of luck. The preview for episode 5 seemed to be pretty clear as to Selmy's fate.

Yeah, unfortunately, the actor's confirmed that he's dead, which sucks because he didn't want to go :(

I wish Barristan had been better developed on the show. Maybe then they would've killed grey worm, or Daario instead. (Not that I dislike Grey Worm, I'm just very indifferent and think his sub-plot with Missandei is ridiculous).

Ah well.

I think it is pretty obvious by now that there will be no battle of fire this season or next for that matter. I am also not convinced that Dany will be flying off to the Dothraki Sea either. So since the role that Barristan was going to have in the battle of fire is not needed they decided to kill him off. I don't have a problem with this really.They needed to trim Dany's entourage now that Jorah and Tyrion will soon be joining her and they wanted to have a meaningful death for her in the storyline since up until now it has been nothing but red shirts dying.

He's not dead. Else they wouldn't have shown that the Harpy unsucessfully tried to slit his throat. Otherwise it will be very extra and they wouldn't need to give him the airtime anyway. So the scene has to serve a purpose to show that he was not killed.

the harpy's didn't have swords because it was close quarter guerrilla warfare style sneak attack

the daggers are easier to use in close quarters

You remind me of Oberyn :(

"Long sword is a bad option at close quarters"

Ser Barristans death was the most realistic scene TV has shown.

Game of Thrones is a fantasy not a superhero series. The old man had himself to blame. Quoting jorah "Aye armor makes you slow but lets you live"

Meeting 20 people with daggers, the fight was brilliant. Selmy shows some experienced moves. But when he got a stab, he slowed down. Imagine how painful it is.. You fight back you may hit one but by the mean time you get more stabs.

If it upsets you that an old knight without armor who was clearly outnumbered died after putting up a very good fight, please go back to your superhero movies is all I have to say to those who just cannot comprehend how SOTH killed the former knight

im not saying they looked impressive, but the son's of the harpy were probably fighting slaves at least, no?

still sad to see Barristan go like this. I hope Jorah is forgiven by Dany.

We don't know who the the harpies were- they could have been slaves trained in the fighting pits, or sellswords, or anyone. Until we do, I don't think it's fair to say that this 'couldn't have happened because they couldn't have been better fighters than the unsullied!" Because that's just an assumption.

Archived