[Book Spoilers] So with all the hints last night...

I'd guess he dies this season and Jon's parentage will be revealed in season 6 or perhaps even season 7.

Season 7 is too late...season 6 is much more likely since D&D are planning to end it in 7 or 8 seasons.

LF deducing the truth seems pretty plausible, especially since he was at the tourney in Harrenhall. Barristan the Bold knowing the truth is also plausible, since he and Rhaegar were buddies and jousted each other at fateful Harrenhall. Melisandre reading it in her fires is also plausible. Bran finding it out from the three-eyed crow is very plausible, albeit useless considering how far removed from everything he now is. Heck, even Tyrion and Jorah putting two and two together, should they ever end up talking about the subject, is plausible.

The only reason I see for GOT not to reveal R + L = J THIS season is that the showrunners want to give GRRM one last chance to reveal it in Winds of Winter, should he actually manage to publish it prior to season 6. By the end of episode 10 this season, I predict even folks who only watch the show will start figuring it out.

Also, if Jon really was born illegitimately at the Tower of Joy, shouldn't his surname be Sand? Granted Ned could never have given that name to him. Even Hodor could have figured out R + L = J with that info.

Do you honestly think that the main reason for Howland Reed to exist in the books is to reveal Jon's parentage? One of a few men known to visit Isle of Faces hides behind the scenes just to tell Jon about his mother? Come on, GRRM is better than this.

No, i do not think that it is the main reason for Howland Reed to exist in the books. However some part of Northmen went to Howland Reed with Rob' s testament and I guess something should happen in Howland Reed vs Jon front.

I find it pretty funny that GRRM isn't even trying to hide R+L=J anymore. It's the worst kept secret in the entire series. (I understand the show is separate but i'm pretty sure GRRM approved of such blatent and obvious foreshadowing in the last episode on the theory).

I *do* think it's possible other people know. It's entirely plausable that Rhaegar confided in someone about Lyanna, whether that be Barriston Selmy, Arthur Dayne (who died anyways), or someone else in the KG....and word could have at least gotten out to make people like LF or Varys wonder. And by simple deductions, people like LF could easily figure it out.

They really did seem to make an effort to show us that LF has his doubts about Rhaegar raping Lyanna. Howland Reed may have witnessed it, but I'm sure there are people who were close to the situation that have their doubts about Jon being Neds bastard.

I find it pretty funny that GRRM isn't even trying to hide R+L=J anymore. It's the worst kept secret in the entire series. (I understand the show is separate but i'm pretty sure GRRM approved of such blatent and obvious foreshadowing in the last episode on the theory).

Oh, I don't think GRRM needs to approve anything. Books are full of hints related to this one. Starting from book one.

And on the other hand, GRRM's wife Parris said at least on one occasion that RLJ is very obvious and GRRM is not doing obvious.

Do you honestly think that the main reason for Howland Reed to exist in the books is to reveal Jon's parentage? One of a few men known to visit Isle of Faces hides behind the scenes just to tell Jon about his mother? Come on, GRRM is better than this.

I don't think Maester Aemon knows in the show. I'd guess he dies this season and Jon's parentage will be revealed in season 6 or perhaps even season 7.

If he is alive to find out tho. We still dont know what happened after his ambush. We know GRRM loved to kill favorite characters.

LF did not deduce anything. His reaction was merely that Sansa was still a bit Naive to the mere possibility that Lyanna ran off on her own accord perhaps for being fool enough to believe everthing that the her family has said about it. If he knew it he would have said it.

I think that Bran is the first to learn this secret from seeing a confession in front of trees by his father. But that is the book. D&D, lol "dum and dumber" someone has said here seem to be racing to a finish after having fell behind a novel. Perhaps they are right that you have to just say it to idiot TV audience. If that is the case they have to do it before Jon gets the knife lest there be no great cliffhanger

Well, was is not near Riverrun, where Lyanna was headed for the Wedding of her brother Brandon and Cat that she was "taken" by Rheagar and his few attendants, including, Ser Arthur Dayne and Ser Oswell Whent? Maybe Littlefinger saw something. It was shortly after that that he fought Brandon for Cat's hand and lost.

Oh, I don't think GRRM needs to approve anything. Books are full of hints related to this one. Starting from book one.

And on the other hand, GRRM's wife Parris said at least on one occasion that RLJ is very obvious and GRRM is not doing obvious.

Well, technically he doesn't need to approve anything...my point is that even though the books and TV series are separate, G&G and GRRM seem to have a good working relationship with one another, and G&G seems to be careful on what they do in the show to make sure they do not alleviate TOO much from the books. In other words, from what i read even though they don't need permission to change things, they still run it by GRRM to ensure accuracy and he signs off on it.

I've never heard that quote before. I actually don't think R+L=J is obvious at first, but with so much time passing between the 1st book and the latest, people have had quite a lot of time to piece things together and figure it out....and I think that is what's happened. GRRM can't change the plotline now that he's 20 years deep into the series....so he just has to roll with it and accept the fact that the big mystery of Jons parentage has been figured out.

Apart from way to announce parentage of Jon Snow, I wonder how it will be important for the further development of the story. Because being set up like this it obviously is going to be important instead of "oh...ok" moment.

I think this is a really valid point and far more relevant than who will reveal it. The book and the show could have different people revealing it but it has to be in context of moving the story forward. As long as it is someone with authority, someone who could spread the word and some people listen to, it wouldn't really matter who does it in the books and if it's the same on the show. And I could see show-Littlefinger being possible.

There needs to be a good reason for GRRM/D&D to bring it up or people wouldn't care. And I don't think it's just that he has a right to the throne because honestly how many believe that Dany will sit on the Iron Throne on the sole fact that she is the rightful heir? After all, technically Stannis has a better claim.

I think they are going to reveal Jon's parentage in episode 9 or maybe 10, like a big wow this guy has a legimate claim then bang the ides happen and we don't know Jon's fate until next spring or until Winds is released. Either that or it plays a big part in his recovery/ressurection.

I don't think Maester Aemon knows in the show. I'd guess he dies this season and Jon's parentage will be revealed in season 6 or perhaps even season 7.

Yes. The show is giving little hints here and there, so, when the big reveal happens, you have a little background. I don't think they do the reveal in this season and I believe, just like in the books, the story of the King of the Laughing Tree will have a big part in the reveal. And for that, we need Meera and Bran.

Archived