Bakker XXXVI: The Horror of Threads to Come

Madness

Decided to go down the polite and formal but clearly pissed off route:

To Whom It May Concern,

I am writing to add my voice to those others expressing frustration at the long delay in the release of R. Scott Bakker's The Unholy Consult, which has been extant in a complete draft since March last year but is still to see the light of day. Your delay is both exasperating for fans and has put unwarranted pressure on the author who has to deal with fan frustrations and who no doubt expected to be seeing financial returns from sales of the book much earlier than is now going to be the case. You have done no-one favours, least of all yourselves as company, by not getting this book out sooner. I therefore request at the very least that you make a statement explaining your intransigence and establishing what dates you can expect to actually fulfill your commitments by.

Yours Sincerely

EDIT: damn, missed the 'a' out in 'as a company'.

Anyhow, anyone think this'll be likely to engender any response (it's already sent btw), or is it better to go down the "get off your cunting arses you shits" route?

Thanks. Someone might know a better address to use for agitation than me, but I'm guessing the general inquiries is the most accept contact avenue (for prompting them to getting onto the editing of a book) from this list?

[email protected]

That is the address I used and two months ago they told me that they " do not have an exact date, but it will be published sometime in 2016 ". I posted that on the board at the time. Apparently Scott knows even less. Which is odd really. No one in Bakker's camp knows anything, not even an indication? Is Bakker pushing or is he just waiting, because that is what it seems like. Why would he or his agent not inquire about the most relevant fact? Surely they have good contacts at Overlook that would tell them?

Orbit is the UK publisher. We could ask them as well.

Decided to go down the polite and formal but clearly pissed off route:

To Whom It May Concern,

I am writing to add my voice to those others expressing frustration at the long delay in the release of R. Scott Bakker's The Unholy Consult, which has been extant in a complete draft since March last year but is still to see the light of day. Your delay is both exasperating for fans and has put unwarranted pressure on the author who has to deal with fan frustrations and who no doubt expected to be seeing financial returns from sales of the book much earlier than is now going to be the case. You have done no-one favours, least of all yourselves as company, by not getting this book out sooner. I therefore request at the very least that you make a statement explaining your intransigence and establishing what dates you can expect to actually fulfill your commitments by.

Yours Sincerely

Nice work there! :)

(Could someone proof-read this for me? Mind you, I just woke up, so I'm not sure it's totally lucid and it doesn't seem good to send emails in such a state. Or just point out how dumb I sound, either way, thanks. )

To Whom it May Concern,

It has come to our attention, as fans of author R. Scott Bakker, that the final volume of his Aspect Emperor series, The Unholy Consult, is seemingly on perpetual hiatus from publication. This is both bewildering for us as readers and for the author himself, seeing as to how the final volume is critical to bringing both some closure to, indeed, two trilogies (both The Prince of Nothing, and The Aspect Emperor series) while setting the stage for even more editions going forward. Allow me to explain why I believe that, in fact, not publishing the book in the very near future is a financial mistake on the part of Overlook Press.

Scott has a small, but vocal and quite dedicated group of fans. Even a small amount of internet research will uncover years of discussion, speculation, and appreciation for the series, beginning with The Darkness The Comes before and continuing through The White-Luck Warrior. What does this mean for you, the publisher? The series has all the makings of a cult-classic. Given the success of recent movies and TV shows from the likes of Rowling, Martin, and Tolkien, the time is now for epic fantasy, a role Bakker fulfills like few others can.

Indeed, the proverbial 'iron' is hot, the series is ripe for the 'striking', but honestly only if the series can present some kind of reasonable expectation of a conclusion. Fans of Martin's A Games of Thrones are loath to start yet another series with no end in the foreseeable future. Presenting Scott's work as a completed arc is a great sales pitch, giving readers a chance to jump into a deep series, with no wait for a conclusion. As such, every day, month, (and hopefully a level not reached) year, is harmful both to sales of The Unholy Consult, and to the entire series. Also, considering the low opportunity cost to simply publishing the book, as the manuscript is already in your hands, and the overwhelmingly positive upside to having two trilogies that can be sold as 'completed,' it only makes sense to try to publish The Unholy Consult as soon as possible. Indeed, the delay only serves to harm the value of the work, which is in no one, not the author's, not the fan's, not you the publisher's, nor the potential future reader's, best interest.

As the delay lengthens there is also the real possibility that the book could be released closer to Martin's Winds of Winter, which again, serves absolutely no one's best interests, considering how much attention will be given that book. The Unholy Consult should, indeed, almost must, preceded it's publication. The time to seize itinerant fantasy readers in the midst of Martin's writing (and the Game of Thrones show) hiatus, in fact means that this book is primed for release right now actually. The next few months are critical, the book should be published post-haste, to really capitalize on these factors. As we go forward, the show will be back for it's next season, the book will be written and this unique time and it's subsequent opportunity, will be lost. The optimal window, so to speak, is fast closing, and will not open again.

I really hope that this case is given real consideration. I thank you for your time in reading this, I (and Scott and many fans) thank you for all that you can do in bring this book to a quick publication.

Sincerely,

Me

(Made a few changes to hopefully have it read better. Also a fix a few typos, thanks to Wilshire.)

(Also, feel free to just mock my lack of writing ability.)

Only sentence I find problems with is "The Unholy Consult should, indeed, almost must, preceded it's publication"; this should read: "The Unholy Consult should, indeed, almost must, precede its publication".

Very good letter, much as abuse might get their attention, logic is usually the best way to push people over to your viewpoint.

Only sentence I find problems with is "The Unholy Consult should, indeed, almost must, preceded it's publication

"; this should read: "The Unholy Consult should, indeed, almost must, precede its publication".

Very good letter, much as abuse might get their attention, logic is usually the best way to push people over to your viewpoint.

Thanks, noted and changed. I'll be sending it when I get home from work and done with the housework stuff.

Bakker at least still seems committed to writing the final series,

https://rsbakker.wordpress.com/2015/06/20/in-the-shadow-of-summer/#comment-42009

Rewriting LTG is actually high on my list, but I really feel that the next two books in the fantasy series are going to cement things. Typically, embarking on side projects outside your primary genre is just a way for established writers to rediscover how crushingly difficult things were as a first time writer. I’ve resolved to experiment with timing as far as LTG is concerned.

Archived