[Book spoiler] "That wasn't Ned Stark's way" R+L=J clue

Are we given our first official clue about R+L=J in this episode when Stannis was talking to Selyse and Selyse called Jon a bastard from some tavern slut but Stannis called "Maybe but that wasnt Ned Stark's way". This dialogue along with Sansa's scene in winterfell crypt makes me believe show is starting to give out clues about Jon's parentage.

Not ned stark's way

You know nothing jon snow

You have power within you

Little finger's : Oh poor sansa stare

The stare combined with the story of how Rhaegar gave money to orphans and the poor pretty much sets up the fact that he didn't kidnap or rape Lyanna.

Wonder if we'll get more information next week?

Obvious clue IMO. Alse the part where LF and Sansa were talking about Lyanna is an introduction. Sansa stating that he raped her is the first part to make sure peoples minds are blown. I wonder if they might spoil the info this season.

The stare combined with the story of how Rhaegar gave money to orphans and the poor pretty much sets up the fact that he didn't kidnap or rape Lyanna.

Wonder if we'll get more information next week?

Previous seasons were relatively quiet on this,but all of a sudden three or four hints in one episode.It looks like we're getting pretty close to the actual reveal and the evidence will grow over time,because soon Jon's parentage will matter to the story.It looks more and more likely that it will end in 7 or 8 seasons

Aemon?Maybe it's just my wishful thinking,but it would be beautiful to share some knockwledge about Rhaegar with Jon.Sansa likely or Dorne while Jaime is there.

Do not forget that the show differs from the books and that D & D may be so infatuated with the R + L = J theory themselves, that they decided to include it regardless of what the books will do. They have that amount of freedom.

I thought they said that key events and ultimately ending will be pretty much same in the show/books.They've disscussed this with GRRM last year in California.

If they keep throwing hints like that then the non-readers are going to figure it out very soon. I think it's even too late to push it to season 6. Already some of my friends are getting suspicious. If the show still wants to surprise their audience then they need to reveal it soon, it just gets too obvious already. This R+L thing pops up the first thing on google search if you look for anything related to Jon or Rhaegar or...

If they keep throwing hints like that then the non-readers are going to figure it out very soon. I think it's even too late to push it to season 6. Already some of my friends are getting suspicious. If the show still wants to surprise their audience then they need to reveal it soon, it just gets too obvious already. This R+L thing pops up the first thing on google search if you look for anything related to Jon or Rhaegar or...

I asked the question to two of my friends. One who also has read the book (and seen the show) and one who only has seen the show. Neither guessed Rhaegar though, but tbh that wasn't my guess from the books only either. This forum made me wiser.

Do not forget that the show differs from the books and that D & D may be so infatuated with the R + L = J theory themselves, that they decided to include it regardless of what the books will do. They have that amount of freedom.

Martin used it as his ultimate test for them to get the show. They aren't going to change that.

How people come up with absolute nonsense like this, is beyond me. You do realize that the show creators would have confirmed with Martin, whether or not R+L=J is true or not? Furthermore, if it was confirmed to be false, why the fuck, would they waste time putting several hints about it in the show? Would it serve the narrative? No it doesn't. You are therefore saying that D&D put in there, just because they really really like the theory, even though it is confirmed by Martin not to be true. That's like saying all the witnesses, all the evidence, all the DNA, all the cell phone and security footage...show that the damn butler did it, only to say in the end that it was cook!

True, if they guessed the above statement. Else they do 'change' it.

They DID guess it. They've admitted as much. More than once, in interviews. They've said "He asked us who Jon Snow's mother was and we got it right".

There's no other solution that makes sense within the book universe. So, given that, if they guessed 'right', they guessed Lyanna. And if they guessed Lyanna as the mother, they guessed Rhaegar as the father. And if that's what the book says about Jon's parentage, then that's what is going to be in the show universe.

I'll never understand why people want to overcomplicate this issue.

My wife figured it out in the first year, Robert's hatred, Neds reaction, and words to Jon, "you may not have my name, but you have my blood " Lyanna's his mother I'll bet Rheager is the father.

No way will the show differ from the books here, all the changes have been to streamline the story only so far, it's the same story but the tv version has to condense some of the threads. Far more likely Jon's parentage will be revealed in Winds and the show will do it first as we know there will be spoilers from the next book in the latter parts of this season. Think about it from a TV perspective it makes more sense to announce it shortly before the Ides.

My wife figured it out in the first year, Robert's hatred, Neds reaction, and words to Jon, "you may not have my name, but you have my blood " Lyanna's his mother I'll bet Rheager is the father.

I think this theory is correct, but I have to wonder why Ned felt he couldn't confide in Cat. It's obvious that Cat hates Jon, so she doesn't know.

I realize that the less people who have such information, the better things are, but Robert and Petyr seem to know, so it seems a bit strange that Ned never decided to mitigate the obvious tension between his wife and Jon. :unsure:

There had to have been earlier clues that I can't remember...

Most of the stuff before episode 4 this season is in the first season from Robert but hinting mostly at the Lyanna-Rhaegar relationship.

One big one that I think gets left out but is not related to Jon Snow and tangential is Tywin quite pointedly tells Tyrion, "Since I couldn't prove you weren't mine..." This is in the episode after Tyrion wakes up after the attack on King's Landing.

Always thought that too. Wouldn't taking the chance your wife doesn't tell anyone beat having a kid grow up his whole life being hated? Only thing I can think of is Lyanna's promise me was to never tell a single person no matter what.

Archived