[Book Spoilers] An Analysis of Why the Sand Snakes' Introduction Fell Short

A beautiful lady who has brains for politics that would land her in the small council, she looks nice in the appearance, but she is as danger as her older sister Obara, you would sense danger when you meet Obara, but you may have your guard down when you meet Nym, no wonder while obara's weapon of choice is spear, Nym's weapon of choice is dagger.

That's not personality, and there's nothing that suggests she has brains for politics

A beautiful lady who has brains for politics that would land her in the small council, she looks nice in the appearance, but she is as danger as her older sister Obara, you would sense danger when you meet Obara, but you may have your guard down when you meet Nym, no wonder while obara's weapon of choice is spear, Nym's weapon of choice is dagger.

As I said before, comparing to Novel sand snakes, the TV sand snakes are nothing but some inmature teenage wannabe

This isn't really personality...it's superficial appearance based stuff. As with all the Sandsnakes in the books. Lady Nym's the hot one, Tyene the innocent-looking one, and Obara the manly ugly one. That's really the extent of their characterization/personality.

This isn't really personality...it's superficial appearance based stuff. &As with all the Sandsnakes in the books. Lady Nym's the hot one, Tyene the innocent-looking one, and Obara the manly ugly one. That's really the extent of their characterization/personality.

Well, Obara and Tyene have personalities. Just not good ones. Obara's always angry, immediately identified by her stomping around and is said to be chasing for something she can't have and drinking a lot. Cause she's ugly. The adapted character the actress describes in the interviews grabs me better honestly. Tyene has an act of the innocent Septa that actually says callous things that she maintains 24/7. We hear about Arianne's close friend in her chapters but she's only around in Hotah's where keeps the act up, so we'll probably never see her be real in the books.

i think if the camera had more movement, and they worked out the blocking a bit more, maybe even changed Nym's line too.

Something about how that line "we may have a problem" made me sigh so loudly. Also how Obara acts when she says she found him in Plankytown feels like it's a rehearsal.

I want to be a filmmaker, so I always watch a scene and judge it based on it's direction. The whole scene is poorly directed and the director wasn't given much to work with in terms of script/dialogue.

I am deeply disappointed with the TV sand snakes, in the novel, each of the sand snake has her own personality, you would not mistake one for another, can not say the same for the TV sand snakes, especailly for TV Tyene Sand is a completely let down comparing to the novel Tyene Sand. So far, I love the first 3 episodes of the 5th season of the game of thrones, can not say the same to the 4th episode

I totally agree with this. In the book they may be "B-Movie Bad Girls," but in the show they're G.I. Joe action figures. The only distinguishing characteristic between them is the weapon they wield (and the armor, of course).

i think if the camera had more movement, and they worked out the blocking a bit more, maybe even changed Nym's line too.

Something about how that line "we may have a problem" made me sigh so loudly. Also how Obara acts when she says she found him in Plankytown feels like it's a rehearsal.

I want to be a filmmaker, so I always watch a scene and judge it based on it's direction. The whole scene is poorly directed and the director wasn't given much to work with in terms of script/dialogue.

There's a big continuity mistake in that scene too (as if the damn thing wasn't lousy enough as it is). At 1:10 Obara disappears:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=uEKsDQfwk-U

More proof that the scene was probably rushed as hell.

As loathe as I am to defend anything about that scene, it's just the angle of the shot that makes it look like she disappears, since she's standing by the post.

No, I just checked again and both the pole and Obara disappear. Look how far Nym and Tyene are standing from each other,and suddenly they're super close.

Most of the hate is from people who despise AFFC. Not a fan of what the show did to Tyene and Ellaria, but the majority of the criticism is linked to a previous displeasure of Dorne/this content.

The Sand Snakes, in the books and in the show, have always had this large build up, and nothing we've seen so far has been very captivating. Based on what we saw in the books, I thought Prince Doran has been the most BA of them all. I'm hoping they have a better and more eloquent role in the books and show later on.

Amazing post by AdmiralKyrd, thank you for the in depth analysis!

My issue with the Sand Snake introduction was how amateur it seemed. The set, the costume design, the dialogue, the cinematography, the blocking .... it looked like a college student's short film submission. It looked like it was shot on pennies. Or rushed? Or maybe the entire thing was a reshoot? I don't know, but everything about it rubbed me the wrong way and I'm not an aFfC hater. I loved all of the Dorne chapters.

I want to see that Dorne come to life on screen. It reminded me of Morrocco or Marakesh or some where where the air is warm and humid and smells like spices. Islamic-style architecture, with bright colors and textures. A city of mystery and sensuality.

Not a cold looking beach with a pop up tent......

It's an oblique camera angle.

I'm looking at it right now, and it is most definitely NOT an oblique/Dutch angle. The camera isn't tilted in the slightest. Maybe Nym is blocking Obara, but I don't think so.

Anyway, I just noticed how little the picnic blanket is. Like, what is this, a picnic for ANTS?

Not only I have huge problem with TV sand snakes, I hate the TV sparrow too, do they have to portray them as a group of thugs? Is that because this is the only way TV showrunners nowadays knows to portray religious fanatics? The novel sparrows are much more complicated and much more convincing

Most of the hate is from people who despise AFFC. Not a fan of what the show did to Tyene and Ellaria, but the majority of the criticism is linked to a previous displeasure of Dorne/this content.

I love AFFC and I think the show's depiction of the Sand Snakes is a barnyard musical

Archived