What if Arya never kills another person? (WOW Spoiler)

Nevets

As an Arya fan, I have noticed a lot of posters expect her to go on killing people. However, what if Raff, in "Mercy", were to be.the last person she kills? This would require her to leave the FM and give up her quest for revenge, both of which I think are necessary for her to move forward, and for her story to move forward. I would like her to heal from the trauma of the horrors shenated killer.sig has witnessed, and look toward the future, not dwell on the past. Also, I don't really want to see a 12-year old going around killing people, and believe she has a far more important role to play than just the Starks' designated killer.

So, should she, can she, will she stop killing? If so, what instead? And would it upset you if she did stop killing? I,for one, would be quite happy if she never killed again.

I do not expect any turn from her quest for revenge just yet (meaning the next book) but IMO it will happen. I do not think Arya will ever stop killing, (Jon, Stannis, Tyrells and so many others won't either) hard times are ahead, but I think she has it in herself to be much more responsible about it.

As an Arya fan, I have noticed a lot of posters expect her to go on killing people. However, what if Raff, in "Mercy", were to be.the last person she kills? This would require her to leave the FM and give up her quest for revenge, both of which I think are necessary for her to move forward, and for her story to move forward. I would like her to heal from the trauma of the horrors shenated killer.sig has witnessed, and look toward the future, not dwell on the past. Also, I don't really want to see a 12-year old going around killing people, and believe she has a far more important role to play than just the Starks' designated killer.

So, should she, can she, will she stop killing? If so, what instead? And would it upset you if she did stop killing? I,for one, would be quite happy if she never killed again.

You are a soft heart. I for one, quite enjoy this headstrong little brat going about her business becoming a trained killer.

I think her fate is tied to Nymeria and her wolf pack. There's something building there, with repeated references to that wolf pack in the Riverlands.

With all that said there is something classy and righteous about the Faceless Men, IMO. In comparison to what you'd expect from a group of hitmen anyway. I think they will continue to play a part and Arya will continue to be a Faceless Man. People have all these expectations for the Stark kids that I don't think GRRM has any intention of fulfilling.

• 2 weeks later...

I think Arya's path is a dark one and will be closely connected to the Stranger/ death. Death has been the main theme in so many Arya chapters, that it has taken it's place as the central theme in her story. Thus I also think she will die (but I think that will happen in the last book, so she survives Wind).

The wood witch has a point.

Also there is giant wolfpack roaming the riverlands, Arya has already killed through her wolf in dreams. She´s going to kill a whole lot more.

I agree. Arya becomes a she-wolf, an instrument of Stark vengeance. It's sad for a young girl like this, but this is the story GRRM is telling.

Which is just about what FM said who tested her before she agreed to her first mission said as well - was not 'the eyes of wolf and taste for blood and you find killing sweet' or some such?.

------------------

I still think she will live and kill more as many as she can - on her list or related to it.

Arya will have an army and in the vanguard will be the wolfpack. She will lay waste to all foes and sit on the iron throne. She is the revenge of the north, She may even be the PTWP and Gendry will forge her a flaming sword from the recovered parts of ice. She certainly will not be the wife of some lord in a small keep/castle somewhere, as was suggested in book 1 by Eddard as the faith of a second daughter of a great house. She has the motivation and more talent than all the rest put together.

Arya will have an army and in the vanguard will be the wolfpack. She will lay waste to all foes and sit on the iron throne. She is the revenge of the north, She may even be the PTWP and Gendry will forge her a flaming sword from the recovered parts of ice. She certainly will not be the wife of some lord in a small keep/castle somewhere, as was suggested in book 1 by Eddard as the faith of a second daughter of a great house. She has the motivation and more talent than all the rest put together.

In the books, Ned Stark said she would marry a king. Wouldn't call a king "some lord in a small keep/castle somewhere"

If Arya remains with the Faceless Men, she'll kill. If she leaves them, she'll kill a lot more. I see no scenario where she stops killing, unless she finishes off her hit list and Houses Frey and Bolton are bled to extinction.

Actually, Arya's association with the dead and removing the faces and preserving them in such pristine condition speaks to He-of-Many-Face's powerful magic, potions, and poisons. The disembodied face skins beneath the HoBaW correlate to the faces carved on heart trees in godswoods.

THE OLD GODS of the north are nameless, faceless, and Bran resides in darkness in a cave full of skulls without skins.

These similarities are more than coincidence.

Bran will need to draw on the combined powers of his sisters and of his brothers to save the realms of men.

Killing, murdering, Execution or assassinating someone. What do you mean?

killing= Taking someone life by justifiable action: self defense, defense of others

Murdering=taking someone life by unjustifiable action

Assassination=taking some life on someone else's orders

If Arya remains with the Faceless Men, she'll kill. If she leaves them, she'll kill a lot more. I see no scenario where she stops killing, unless she finishes off her hit list and Houses Frey and Bolton are bled to extinction.

Well sure but now she gets a whole lot of Black Brothers to her list... Stabbing Jon it the back -> dead man walking

• 1 month later...

Arya is a little girl with an exceptional talent.  And the mention of Bran calling out and utilizing the power and skills of all his siblings to affect whatever his real endgame is.   That's an interesting concept.  Bran making a connection with Arya will have an impact on her.  Finding Nymeria and becoming conscious of her warg abilities will have impact as well.   But she's only a little girl and well raised at that.   Much of her post parental death experience has fueled her rage and sense of aloneness in a very cruel world.  When she realizes she's not really alone she will reunite with her core morals and standards, which probably don't include killing more people.   Arya's sense of revenge isn't solely for people who have harmed her directly, but stems from her deep empathy for others who have been hurt without cause.  She removed the Hound from her list voluntarily as he was able to prove to her that he wasn't worthy of her vengeance.   The point in that was that she is capable of rational thought and decision.  Many see her tutelage with the FM as mere killing school, but I think she's learning discipline and a grace of sorts in the many times the KM reminds her that death is not hers to decide.   Much is made of Sansa's learning to play the game and I'm surprised more don't recognize Arya is getting similar training.   Not in social graces, but in gathering and dispersing information, watchfulness, awareness, duplicity and the ability to act decisively and cleanly.  Let's see if any more names are added to her list before writing Arya completely off. 

Archived