[Spoilers] EP505 Discussion

Ran

I was hoping Sansa would recognize her importance to the Boltons. While she is being passive aggressive in small ways, how can she simply sit and take being nothing more than a breeding mare for them? Playing LF's dubious game of waiting for Stannis doesn't mean she can't make small steps in asserting her own legitimate place as a Stark, in the pro-Stark north, and a high born noble woman. Regardless of what she thinks of Theon, I thought her first show of empowerment would have been to manipulate Ramsay into not treating him like a dog. I don't know. Maybe I'm off here.

I find it ominous. Maybe not much has happened, but many things are set up/on the verge of happening...Sansa's situation is precarious...Jon is about to get assassinated....Jorah and Tyrion are about to get captured by slavers....that sort of thing.

Well, this episode did (finally) set most of the plot in motion for what'll happen until the end of the season. But eh, I guess it's moot to argue about how we felt about a music, since it was clearly a good piece ^^ .

This episode felt much more like it belonged in the Ice and Fire world of the books than the previous 4 episodes this season. That has always been my complaint, not that the show is changing the plot, but that the way they change them takes me out of the world, it just felt like a modern TV show with people in costumes. This was the first time I really felt we're back in Westeros.

Yes I agree, when Cogman writes the episode I always feel that way. The last episodes have been too jarring for me.

I was hoping Sansa would recognize her importance to the Boltons. While she is being passive aggressive in small ways, how can she simply sit and take being nothing more than a breeding mare for them? Playing LF's dubious game of waiting for Stannis doesn't mean she can't make small steps in asserting her own legitimate place as a Stark, in the pro-Stark north, and a high born noble woman. Regardless of what she thinks of Theon, I thought her first show of empowerment would have been to manipulate Ramsay into not treating him like a dog. I don't know. Maybe I'm off here.

She does, though. She outright says Winterfell is hers and that it's her home. She's aware she's the heiress of Winterfell. At least, that's what I got.

Lol show, you don't just "walk" into Valyria.

Though even I have to admit the CGI looked absolutely amazing.

Jorah gets the JonCon Greyscale treatment. Dany's council is just getting smaller and smaller, isn't it?

I really liked the Stannis and Sam scene. "Keep reading, Samwell Tarley." dawwwwww.

And yes. R+L indeed. I laughed right out loud when Aemon said the "no Targaryens left to help Dany" and then the camera panned straight to Jon.

Aemon's not dead yet though. Next episode, maybe? I guess we're not getting any of the stuff about Lightbringer being a fake and dragons switching between male and female in the show. Oh well.

Honestly I half thought she was going to out-and-out jump up and kill Theon in the kennels. And it occured to me that acting like a vengence fueled psycho might actually win her brownie points with Ramsey. I was also half thinking, hoping really, before she got to that last kennel that maybe there would be a wolf pup in there. I know it makes no sense at all given who sent her in, but it would have been a nice change - giving her an ally in the walls. I mean I could potentially see Myranda helping her escape just to get her out of the way.

How long has Sansa been in Winterfell? I think she is playing the game by first learning her opponent. How is she suppose to manipulate Ramsey if she doesn't even know what motivates his actions. I doubt the Boltons come off as a men that can be manipulated by her batting her eyelashes and giving a girlish giggle.

And yes. R+L indeed. I laughed right out loud when Aemon said the "no Targaryens left to help Dany" and then the camera panned straight to Jon.

At this point, they may as well just reveal it next time Jon is onscreen, because now they're just beating the viewers over the head with it.

How long has Sansa been in Winterfell? I think she is playing the game by first learning her opponent. How is she suppose to manipulate Ramsey if she doesn't even know what motivates his actions. I doubt the Boltons come off as a men that can be manipulated by her batting her eyelashes and giving a girlish giggle.

Agreed - plus, if she acts like she's totally okay with marrying the son of her brother and mother's murderer, that would be weird. She's acting cautiously rebellious, I would say - feeling them out.

I was pretty sure that Oldtown was cut from the show, but there was a whole scene this week that really didn't do anything other than introduce the idea of it and Sam and Gilly in connection to it. There must be something really important there, given how many other plots have been culled.

Isn't the bestest and most compete book about dragons - the one that exists in one copy and can not be found anywhere else - supposed to be at the Citadel? that's what Salera, faceless man and Marvin are all after, no?

She does, though. She outright says Winterfell is hers and that it's her home. She's aware she's the heiress of Winterfell. At least, that's what I got.

Yeah, but technically she's not even that anymore since Roose is now Warden, and Winterfell is his. They need her to keep the Stark north somewhat placated, not as an heiress, if I understand the show version correctly. Guess I was just hoping for a bit more from her at this point. Maybe it will come later but we're running out of time before psycho gets her to the bedroom. And I doubt a naive virginal girl has somehow acquired the skills to please a sadist like Ramsay.

Stannis said "fewer". He was correcting somebody's speech as I think they said "less", which he thought was grammatically incorrect.

I actually loved that little piece of humor thrown in there! Was not a Stannis fan in the books, but I'm really loving TV Stannis.

Agreed. It makes sense for her to be fairly cautious in the beginning. She doesn't know these people or how they'll react to what she might say. Give it time.

This! I suspect it will be the Old Gods since Jon is of the North.

I wonder if the Selyse replaces the soldiers who want to make a sacrifice to R'hollor for food. She tries to burn Shireen and gets pushed to the ground by Stannis. Still trying to make sense of that scene.

Next week it looks like Arya will get a face. And the Queen of Thorns is back. Excited!!!

My theory is that yes, Selyse tries to sacrifice Shireen, but Stannis decides to burn Selyse instead. :D

Sansa seems to be listening, watching, far more than she ever did in KL. Her asking Ramsay out right about his behavior was her way of seeing how she can figure out what makes him tick. Sure she'll act annoyed at times but it would be only natural now that daddy LF isnt here. The sudden change in her wardrobe as well feels like its meant to mean something. If I remember correctly, Catelyn could be like that as well. Having her and Myranda briefly speak like that aobut her mother just cements that a bit more. There was lots of references to Catelyn in this episode and that was nice. Sansa is going to take whatever they throw at her, like she did in KL, but this time shes home and she's gonna give right back.

In the second S5 trailer we see Stannis and Davos running from burning tents... not boding well for House Baratheon. And Selyse on the ground crying pretty much confirms a Stannis defeat when you realise she is surrounded by standing men who have more than likely thrown her to the ground to make her surrender. I'm betting Melisandre gets away somehow, but hate to say that Stannis is probably going down this season.

So like three episodes after the infamous trial/execution Danny suddenly decides to ignore her previous rule about not killing people without a trial. So shouldn't she be executed for randomly murdering a potential suspect???

But of course she is one of the biggest hypocrites around...when she is wronged its ok to kill people without finding definitive proof.

:rolleyes: It's called "being the Queen." This is her moving more toward her "fire and blood" side, which she's been doing for a while and which Martin confirmed will happen in her arc.

What on earth was that Dany scene? That's some season 3+4 Stannis treatment.

Actually, I liked that scene, and judging from my Twitter, the Unsullied loved it.

The episode was one of the best in the entire series so far. The show can't please everybody.

:agree: Can't wait to rewatch each scene. I greatly prefer the stuff in the North, at the Wall, and in Essos to the intrigue of King's Landing. The only character I missed was my Arya.

She is a Stark....not a werewolf!

:lmao: I mean, what exactly do people want Sansa to do?

Lol show, you don't just "walk" into Valyria.

Though even I have to admit the CGI looked absolutely amazing.

Jorah gets the JonCon Greyscale treatment. Dany's council is just getting smaller and smaller, isn't it?

I really liked the Stannis and Sam scene. "Keep reading, Samwell Tarly." dawwwwww.

Aemon's not dead yet though. Next episode, maybe? I guess we're not getting any of the stuff about Lightbringer being a fake and dragons switching between male and female in the show. Oh well.

Loved this summary of the ep. These were many of my takes on things, too. I was frustrated that they merged the Rhoyne with Valyria, though.