[Spoilers] EP505 Discussion

Ran

-Hizdhar has been character assassinated HARD. A ruthless morally ambiguous shady Machiavellian to a whiny sychophant. Bravo Bravo BRAVO. And he's a minority character, I thought D&D would be all over him instead of letting him rot. But given that they apparently didn't read the last 2 books of the series, maybe this Hizdhar is their own banal interpretations.

I kept meaning to bring this up...it seems that the show is casting Hizdhar as a victim? Is he not going to try to poison Dany? Maybe we can't do that without Strong Belwas? I'm so confused. He seems like a pointless character in the show when he had so much purpose in the books. Why even include him if he's just some poor whipped guy for Dany to antagonize? Checklist again?

Oh Ok

Without Aegon in the show, who will be the third dragon rider???

one's a blond, one's had numerous hints about his heritage since "you may not have my name but you have my blood" and one is shown to have a fascination with dragons.

I loved that little boat ride poetry between Jorah and Tyrion.

Valyria was how I imagined it.

The attack by the stone men was just as terrifying as it was in the books, so all good there.

I thought Myranda was going to unleash the hounds on Sansa at the kennel, did anyone else think this?

There has to be something more to Missande then they are leading on and this whole Grey Worm thing is being used to set this up. I cant believe that D&D would waste their time on these characters when there's so much more to be covered. But what could be the point? Its been going on since last season, I shouldnt complain because Missande is super hot :P

Did we get introduced to Bowen March sitting at the head table at Castle Black? Will Edd join in the hokey-pokey with JS?

Does anyone else think that either the old lady Sansa talks to or even the old man that Brienne was talking to are actually Bolton people? My gut feeling is that one or both of them are.

No one is really discussing if Myranda is actually trying to help Sansa or somehow sabotage this marriage. Could she take up the role of one of Mance's people and the Ghost of Winterfell? She sure didnt seem to pleased with how Ramsay was 'treating' her. What was she trying to accomplish by introducing Sansa to Reek/Theon? I felt as though she was genuinely trying to warn Sansa of what Ramsay is, genuinely. But then again this is the same girl who hunted down a poor girl, Tanzy, with bow and arrow. This is building up to something and I think this is where the deviation from the book actually makes the show interesting to watch. We can all speculate that Sansa gets away with Reek/Theon ala Farya but we dont know exactly how it will play out.

I kept meaning to bring this up...it seems that the show is casting Hizdhar as a victim? Is he not going to try to poison Dany? Maybe we can't do that without Strong Belwas? I'm so confused. He seems like a pointless character in the show when he had so much purpose in the books. Why even include him if he's just some poor whipped guy for Dany to antagonize? Checklist again?

Mad Queen Daenerys is giving Hizdar a few reasons for becoming a poisoner (the things she does for love.. of gore).

With Barristan dead who is going to rule Meereen after Daenerys goes "east to find west"? Grey worm? Good King Hizdar?

I was kind of expecting Ramsey's girl to try to push Sansa out of the broken tower.. but not, I guess that character is as pointless as Grey-Sandei.

Tormund bargaining with Jon was my favorite scene from ADWD. The show's equivalent was just meh.

Valyria looked like generic ruins. I was expecting something crazy like the illustrations from the world of Ice and Fire book, but it was overall the high point of the episode.

Edited by The Kinkslayer

BOOK AND SHOW SPOILERS BELOW

I can't believe they killed Barristan. I figured he would be important later on, but I guess not? Who needs an experienced Kingsguard who knows the ways of war and knows Westeros really well when you have a Grey Worm love story? As much as I like Grey Worm, I felt he was more expendable. And Dany's reaction was horrible. She reminded me of the Mad King with that one.

Anyone else annoyed with the Bolton's assumption that Sansa is able to marry Ramsey? Uh, hello she's still married to Tyrion, he hasn't been found. She is also under suspicion for killing Joffrey. How is she able to be herself? The Boltons are allies to the Lannisters, shouldn't they have turned her in? It just doesn't make sense. At least in the books, she's pretending to be Littlefinger's bastard daughter who has never been married, and they (in secret) say that they have to wait for Tyrion to be killed before she can actually marry whats-his-face. I get why they are having Sansa in Winterfell rather than fArya, but it annoys me that they aren't even addressing the inconsistencies. I wonder where Theon will take her (if that even happens, who knows.) And Littlefinger just leaves her there with the Boltons? Oh, she'll be safe since they "need" her, disregard that Ramsey is psycho and Roose is a traitor.

I'm ok with deviations from the book if they don't change the overall plot and they make sense, but sometimes I think D&D just like to be shocking so they kill off semi-important characters just for the hell of it. At least in the books (most of) the deaths serve a purpose to further the plot.

I loved the scene where Sansa discovered Theon. Her face was perfect. I thought she was gonna kill him right there. The ending of the episode was good too, with the stone men and Drogon. Tyrion's face when he saw the dragon--amazing. However, Tyrion wasn't touched by the stone men but uh, didn't they grab his leg and pull him further underwater??

Valyria was gorgeous, I wonder where they filmed that scene.

Edited by skrause88

Sansa and Jon are really hitting it out of the park! They have really grown into their characters.

I kind of hope Sansa does something with that mini dagger around her neck and soon....

I kind of have a soft spot for Walda but bless her heart... she might be done.

Myranda.... I'm kind of sensing you are part of the North who Remembers and not as bad as you seem....

I'm loving the North household.... that old lady is amazing, such a beacon of hope.

I loved that little boat ride poetry between Jorah and Tyrion.

Valyria was how I imagined it.

The attack by the stone men was just as terrifying as it was in the books, so all good there.

I thought Myranda was going to unleash the hounds on Sansa at the kennel, did anyone else think this?

You seriously thought Sansa was going to be killed/mauled at this point in the story? I thought Theon right away since that's where he sleeps in the books.

There has to be something more to Missande then they are leading on and this whole Grey Worm thing is being used to set this up. I cant believe that D&D would waste their time on these characters when there's so much more to be covered. But what could be the point? Its been going on since last season, I shouldnt complain because Missande is super hot :P

Did we get introduced to Bowen March sitting at the head table at Castle Black? Will Edd join in the hokey-pokey with JS?

Does anyone else think that either the old lady Sansa talks to or even the old man that Brienne was talking to are actually Bolton people? My gut feeling is that one or both of them are.

No one is really discussing if Myranda is actually trying to help Sansa or somehow sabotage this marriage. Could she take up the role of one of Mance's people and the Ghost of Winterfell? She sure didnt seem to pleased with how Ramsay was 'treating' her. What was she trying to accomplish by introducing Sansa to Reek/Theon? I felt as though she was genuinely trying to warn Sansa of what Ramsay is, genuinely. But then again this is the same girl who hunted down a poor girl, Tanzy, with bow and arrow. This is building up to something and I think this is where the deviation from the book actually makes the show interesting to watch. We can all speculate that Sansa gets away with Reek/Theon ala Farya but we dont know exactly how it will play out.

I wouldn't be surprised if one of those two people are spies/Bolton loyalists, but probably not both. We need something to replace the Manderly plot inside Winterfell this season as some form of Northern vengeance, and one or both of those characters will likely be a means to it.

Your grammar is terrible.

you're your

their there

its it's

They may all be unique but I don't type for a grade in some classroom, this is the internet and the purpose is to communicate.

Don't troll.

So since this season they like to show a parallel between Jon and Dany do we think Dany being saved by Drogon = Jon being saved from the fatal wound by Ghost who arrives in time? Although if Jon doesn't die how is he released from his vows?

Will Edd join in the hokey-pokey with JS?

No.

Maybe.

Maybe.

It would be an interesting twist if the Old Woman acting like she is helping Sansa is a Bolton spy, while Myranda actually is the one that ends up helping her. But, like you said, Myranda has already been depicted as pretty evil in the past. Maybe she helps Sansa escape so she has less competition in Winterfell.

Edited by intheswamp

I loved the episode.

Only I had, like with many scenes in that series, the feeling of not getting enough. I want more of everything, all feels a little rushed.

But that is because I am one of those who loves Martins travelogues, food, the descriptions of lost cities full of lore and secrets. All that subtle stuff.

We only got a small glimpse at the magical atmosphere, the longing for what is not there anymore within the ruins but those small sketches looked like I had imagined it:

like Angkor Wat and the lost temples around it, hidden in the jungle, surrounded by water. Great.

And Jorah as character became a new quality and intensity by making him recite poetry together with Tyrion. We know from the books that Tyrion is highly educated and loves literature though so far the show did not transfer this sufficiently imo. But Jorah has won a new and unexpected layer that I loved and that made us care even more for him being infected. (Now we can be quite sure that Jon C. Is out) Tyrion seeing the dragon was a benchmark in the series.

I loved the story at the wall, every single character actually but Jon was at his best here. The story is so promising and they gave all the right hints: Oldtown, dragonglass again, Children, books, the last Targaeryen....

And Winterfell was great. I am fed up with those haters who are unable to adapt to changes, insisting on laments about pure doctrine lost. It is a different road than in the books, so what? Why not enjoy the journey?

The acting was great, Turner was spot on. Roose, Ramsay, Reek were exquisite, so much showing instead of telling.

Maybe Brienne should have probed a bit more before trusting that servant but we are supposed to shake our head about Brienne's no subtlety approach, she does it again and again, the anti-Baelish. Wait and see.

Edited by Woman of War

you're your

their there

its it's

They may all be unique but I don't type for a grade in some classroom, this is the internet and the purpose is to communicate.

Don't troll.

Your punctuation isn't all that it should be either.

Other than not caring at all about Grey Worm and Missandei, and really missing Arya (but I miss Arya in any episode without her), I loved this episode. I thought it was fabulous, probably the best of the season so far and I've enjoyed every episode thus far.

- The Stone Men fight sequence was fabulous. I knew that Jorah was so lying. Good on the posters who called that Jorah was getting the disease in place of JonCon.

- As for Dany's "proposal," I don't think we were supposed to think of it as anything other than political and Dany laying down the law. That smile on her face was not a nice one. And Hizdahr looked scared out of his ever-loving mind. She's done playing games. She tried diplomacy. She tried being fair-minded. She tried doing the whole trial by jury. And she was betrayed by those close and trusted to her, and turned on by the people she was trying to help, and then one of her most trusted advisors and friends was killed and another nearly died. She's basically done with this bullshit and she's done with their games. They are going to play by her rules now. She is the mother of dragons. They best be aware of the power she has because she is going to wield it.

Great episode.

:Agree:

Do we think that that old lady could have been sent from Brienne? She did say something about getting a message to her and then BAM! Kindly old lady lets her know she is not alone :-)

I really am missing Griff in the show! I absolutely loved him :crying: Totally knew Jorah was gonna get it! He replaced Griff in some ways, and it just had to be that way.

And Hizdahr really has turned out to be a weakling in the show! His character is nothing like HZL in the book!