[Spoilers] EP505 Discussion

Ran

I thought Myranda was going to unleash the hounds on Sansa at the kennel, did anyone else think this?

I wondered if they were going to go that way. I didn't think Sansa herself would be hurt, but I was half-expecting her to run to Theon's cage and to take shelter there before realizing who she was with - that would have been an interesting way to throw them back together, but the way both actors handled it, with almost nothing said, worked very very well.

But I'm still guessing that bad treatment of Myranda will be what seriously spooks Sansa - and Myranda trying to kill Sansa with the hounds (rather well set up with her parentage being emphasized this episode!) could certainly have been one way to lead to that bad treatment.

I didn't found this episode a great one. There were some weak parts, and the good parts were rushed.

But as a poster says in the ratings thread, it must be acknowledged that Cogman does a great job in "wiping someone else's shit". It's not easy having to include scenes with the romance of Missandei and Grey Worm, making Dany decide to marry Hizdar out of the blue in a single episode, convert Myranda from a random naked whore to a character that was supposed to marry Ramsay,... Many of the weaker parts would have benefited from a better planning/writing in previous episodes, so that that less ground would have to be covered in a single episode.

He always also manages to include a quota of book lore/background that really fleshes out the setting. The conversation about Randyll Tarly, or the story of Roose's rape of Ramsay's mother, were excellent inclusions.

I apologise if this was discussed here before, I did not read all the posts. why is ramsey worried about his claim if he has already been legitimized?

Bastard claims are dubious. Roose could theoretically name his trueborn son his heir ahead of Ramsay, or he could, knowing Roose, just have Ramsay killed. It's just safer for Ramsay to be his only child.

So Jorah, this has become you...

Death, he knew, but slow. I still have time. A year. Two years. Five. Some stone men live for ten. Time enough to cross the sea, to see Griffins Roost again. To end the Usurpers line for good and all, and put Rhaegars son upon the Iron Throne.

**He will play an influential part to put Jon on the throne, somehow, (there's no fAegon), or not at all.

Lol...what? Jorah had no relationship with Rhaegar, and he hates the Starks. It will obviously be Dany in that scenario.

So since this season they like to show a parallel between Jon and Dany do we think Dany being saved by Drogon = Jon being saved from the fatal wound by Ghost who arrives in time? Although if Jon doesn't die how is he released from his vows?

That is to say if there is still a Nights watch after Jon gets stabbed. If the White walkers get through and the wall goes down, then Jon doesn't need to die just to be released from his vows. The nights watch might just cease to exist.

Usually, I lead my commentary with what I like, then what I am not sure of and then … then what I hated.

This episode I almost feel like doing in reverse; because there is just so much I did not like. At all.

I’ll begin by saying this: the show lied when they said they would not follow the books. Lie. The show is following the same boring, slow, unsteady, untethered, meandering, incomplete, non-sensical and pedestrian path as the books: a lot of talk, a lot of repetition, not a lot of advancement. When something DOES happen, it makes very little sense.

Take for example the ony two “Starks” left: Jon and Sansa.

Sansa’s story is pointless; we know she is supposed to marry Ramsey; we know she is in danger; we know Theon is there; we know every Bolton is bat-shit crazy. Nobody is doing anything. It’s a slow burn of NOTH-ING! As in “Nothing is happening.” Why more scenes of Sansa being scared? Or upset? Or angry? Why more scenes of Ramsey being cruel? Or Crazy? Or angry? Why more scenes of Roose brooding? Nervous? Or Angry? Why is all this here? EVERYTHING they are doing we either a) already knew, b )could easily infer or c) is not important.

The only exception was Roose is having a son (kinda); and I don’t care. While its interesting that a third-teir character’s inheritance is now in jeopardy… we have other characters, right?

Oh, but don’t forget Brienne. She is trying to protect Lady Sansa. And if you don’t know that by now, DON’T WORRY! There will soon be another heavy-handed, needless scene which REMINDS YOU of this along next episode. I hear it involves Brienne talking loudly about swearing loyalty to somebody who is dead.

Everything in Winterfell feels like its “Last Week on Game of Thrones.”

Then there is Jon. Now in his 5th consecutive week of “Let’s Try to Win Over the Wildlings.” But now in a senseless and needless story wrinkle, the Lord Commander of the Wall MUST go north and treat with a whole bunch of people he 1) has never met before, 2) want him dead, and 3) will constantly remind him that he “knows nothing” bout them, their ways, how they won’t kneel, how they will not sow (or whatever they stupid words are) and how, no matter what they won’t follow no Southerner… or kneeler …l or whatever dumb thing they are calling people who have “civilization” on their side.

Because that’s what I want- another needless, formless, uneven mass of heavily clothed nimrods in furs telling Jon Snow what a douche he is for … having these sense to build homes made of stone, have laws and not live where all the fucking winter and death and zombies are.

But, hey, at least we had a ridiculously stupid conversation between Sam and Gilly. Because I needed another reminder that the Wall was immensely boring. And Gilly was immensely ignorant and Sam immensely dense.

Which brings us to Stannis. He left. See, Stannis is one of those rare characters who actually does stuff; has goals and takes actions fitted to accomplish said goals. And he’s gone. That’s right- the one interesting character in the whole North and he is headed for his certain death. After he defeats Bolton and Ramsey Brienne is going to kill him. Because the people who are making this show don’t know what the show is about.

Speaking of interesting things leaving, Dany. Dany. Is. Nuts.

So, Dany burned a guy who she was not certain actually did anything. OR sanctioned anything. OR hated her. Or hated her rule. Or liked the Harpies. No. She just burned that guy. Because … because its cool when DRAGONS DO IT!!!!!! By the way, Stannis still gets shit for burning men who were treasonous to him. Dany, meanwhile, gets NO SHIT for burning a guy because …w ell… he didn’t look innocent-y enough

People hate Cersei for shit like that.

Thankfully, we got a scene with Melassandi and Grey Worm; the masses were clamoring for that. From these boards, the things people want MOST in the show are 1) Dany coming to Westeros; 2) Jon Snow discovering who his mother was, and 3) if the eunuch and hot woman get together. Huge stuff right there.

Now, there is an up-side. At least stuff is happening. Dany opened the pits and we saw dragons and she is getting married (just as silly as in the books). At least there is forward momentum. I would have liked to have seen more but at least there is something from all this NOTHING!

And Tyrion and Mormont. Mormont has gray-scale. I don’t care either. IN the books a guy who had ACTUAL AUTHORITY had grayscale so him potentially going crazy is interesting. A guy who has it who has NO AUTHORITY AT ALL? Not. So. Much.

Its like the show runners know the words, but not the music.

But lets talk about Jaime. Or Arya. Cersei? Or any of a bunch of other characters who we know are potentially doing stuff that actually matters.

NOPE! Too much … this other stuff. All repeated from prior episodes.

See… the down-side with killing all your characters is that eventually SOMEBODY has to be left who you actually want to see do stuff. Tyrion, Dany, Jon… SOMEBODY FUCKING DO SOMETHING!!!! And don’t make it seem like you are doing it because you are a lunatic.

Some stuff happened that was worthwhile- Stannis moved South; Dany took some action with the fighting pits. We saw dragons; Lady Bolton is pregnant.

But where are we? IS anything happening? What is the story we are following? Where is our investment? Is any of it interesting?

This was, for me, one of the worst episodes of GoT I have ever seen. It could get better. But, right now, I can see how the show-runners are staring to list HARD to starboard; they don’t have a plan and they are not writing the story I was ever interested in. Its showing now more than ever.

calm down. you're wrong on everything, by the way.

Your punctuation isn't all that it should be either.

You ARE acting like a troll and I put in a complaint about your behavior.

It's not reasonable conduct.

DD made a harmless tongue in cheek comment and you attacked his grammar.

Pull your socks up, Sun, and try to get along with other forum members better.

Basically, don't drag the rest of us down by bickering with you.

I hope that's clear enough grammar and spelling for you. ;)

In other news..

Well, I got it right with Jorah :P

My theory of where this is leading is that...

a) He is going to do the heroic for Dany

or

B) He is going to create some sort of contamination threat that will need to be contained. By fire. Whether this happens in Meereen or King's Landing is yet to be seen.

My BIG spoiler theory is Meereen is going to get torched this episode. It's pretty much served its use and given Dany some horrible moments and deaths, unless the Pare Mare/Greyscale theory holds true and all of Meereen is laid waste to it. Either way I think we're about to see Dany turn into a full mad bitch.

My question is where and when is Jon going to get turned on, and who will turn on him? What events will trigger this?

Edited by 420faceless

That is to say if there is still a Nights watch after Jon gets stabbed. If the White walkers get through and the wall goes down, then Jon doesn't need to die just to be released from his vows. The nights watch might just cease to exist.

Good point! The walls going to have to come down sooner or later. Another thought is if the NK ressurects him if it happens at Hardhome, from the trailer shot we a glimpse of Jon falling to the ground in the snow, maybe that's when it happens. Either way, whatever does happen I hope Ghost gets a heroic moment at some point this season. Kinda tired of the Dragons now :(

When Dany had one of the family heads burned and eaten by dragons, I closely watched her mouth, for if she were to show the slightest of smirks it'd (to me) be the significance of sharing the madness of her father, the Mad King. Then I saw that she kept a straight face, either feeling justified or doing what is necessary, for me confirming that up until now she's not another chip off the old Aerys II block.

Edited by The Emberheart

Now that Davos is going to Winterfell with Stannis, does that mean that Rickon is completely gone from the show ?

I don't remember any mention of him since season 2.

Osha took him to the Umbers, if the North conspiracy gains legs and builds up to introducing new and existing northern houses then we should see them again next season hopefully. I can't imagine the show just ignoring one of the remaining Stark children forever.

When Dany had one of the family heads burned and eaten by dragons, I closely watched her mouth, for if she were to show the slightest of smirks it'd (to me) be the significance of sharing the madness of her father, the Mad King. Then I saw that she kept a straight face, either feeling justified or doing what is necessary, for me confirming that up until now she's not another chip off the old Aerys II block.

I did the same thing. I even went back and watched the scene a second time. If we were going to get a glimpse at Dany "the mad queen" that was the scene to do it. As much as I hated that scene (especially after her talk with Barristan a couple episodes ago), at least they didn't go that route.

Dany isn't mad, and she isn't going to be. I can't imagine GRRM taking one of his main characters that way.

Edited by Nictarion

I did the same thing. I even went back and watched the scene a second time. If we were going to get a glimpse at Dany "the mad queen" that was the scene to do it. As much as I hated that scene (especially after her talk with Barristan a couple episodes ago), at least they didn't go that route.

Dany isn't mad, and she isn't going to be. I can't imagine GRRM taking one of his main characters that way.

Agree.

The more I think about it the more I really don't like either of Dany's scenes this episode. Emilia's acting was fine, even good at times but the content....

It was just so disjointed, it made it look like Dany going from one train of through to the next in a manner of hours, not very thoughtful.

Agree.

The more I think about it the more I really don't like either of Dany's scenes this episode. Emilia's acting was fine, even good at times but the content....

It was just so disjointed, it made it look like Dany going from one train of through to the next in a manner of hours, not very thoughtful.

Yeah, it was a mess. It's especially dissapointing because I feel Meereen has been one of the high points of the season until this episode.

Yeah, it was a mess. It's especially dissapointing because I feel Meereen has been one of the high points of the season until this episode.

I know, I had also been very pleased with Meereen this season. I hope they explain Dany's decision in the next episode.

Perhaps will get her talk with Daario about not wanting to be a butcher queen.