[Spoilers] EP505 Discussion

Ran

In Brienne's defense, since candles are a common source of light, she needs a signal that will be distinct from regular day-to-day activity. All the easily accessible windows probably have candles in them all the time.

And presumably Sansa could ask a servant to light that candle on a pretext rather than go herself.

Not to interrupt all of this discussion of the plausability of this whole Bat Signal instruction, but Brienne didn't say any of this. This came from a servant that has not yet been proved a) to be the messenger Brienne spoke of or b) NOT a Frey or Bolton spy.

For all we know, Sansa or her servant could get up there to light fire of some kind and find Ramsay or Miranda waiting.

Also, am I wrong or has "The North Remembers" been quoted so far by anyone else besides this serving woman and Ramsay Bolton? I feel like we're being mocked with Manderly's famous words this season.

When Sam and Grenn dig out those dragonglass blades by the Fists of the First Men, there is a horn there as well. This could be because D&D felt they we're going to e closer to the books later on and it didn't work out, or they still mean to use it in the story. I'm actually going with the latter, as I do think it's a great plot device both cinematically and plot-wise.

yes, completely forgot about that! I hope that's where they go with it...

Are you seriously defending this nonsense???!!! Imagine Ramsey coming to Sansa's room to rape her. When will she have time to climb up the Broken Tower or call a servant? Get real if Dumb&Dumber cannot.

I don't think it's literally "the minute you are attacked or violated somehow light a candle all the way at the top of the broken tower", its more if she finds herself suddenly no longer safe in a longterm, or continual sense(which is already the case whether she knows it or not), as in "Ramsay is violating and abusing me every day, and will continue, or is planning to violate and abuse me in worse ways than he has so far, therefore next chance I get I'll light the candle." It's a dumbass plan, but it's not that stupid.

Edited by GoldHandTheGood

Not to interrupt all of this discussion of the plausability of this whole Bat Signal instruction, but Brienne didn't say any of this. This came from a servant that has not yet been proved a) to be the messenger Brienne spoke of or B) NOT a Frey or Bolton spy.

For all we know, Sansa or her servant could get up there to light fire of some kind and find Ramsay or Miranda waiting.

Also, am I wrong or has "The North Remembers" been quoted so far by anyone else besides this serving woman and Ramsay Bolton? I feel like we're being mocked with Manderly's famous words this season.

I think one of the episodes' description (ep 7 I think) says Brienne waits for a sign. It does seem like the message was from her.

Τhis episode winner was Jon Snow with 496 words.Ramsey Bolton was second with 491 words.Theon said his first words for season 5 and boltons wife said her first words generaly.Top ten so far are 1.Tyrion Lannister 16849 words 2.Cersei Lannister 9402 words 3.Jaime Lannister 7166 words 4.Petyr 'Littlefinger' Baelish 6669 words 5.Daenerys Targaryen 6496 words 6.Jon Snow 6283 words 7.Tywin Lannister 6119 words 8.Lord Varys 5078 words 9.Theon Greyjoy 4396 words 10.Sansa Stark 4315 words

Liked the Tyrion & Jorah scene, at least loosely based on ADWD. Jorah contacting greyscale and Barriston resting in peace make me excited for another round of Halfman Hand. Can't wait to see Dinklage & Clark scenes.

Enjoyed Maester Ameon scene with Jon, loved that the writer's kept his line in. Winterfell heating up too, dark Sansa should be interesting.

Enjoying this season better now that I've let go of notion that it will be different from the page, excited that D&D are ripping through ADWD.

Edited by ChildoftheTropicalForest

Thoughts while watching:

- A number of people over in the book section seem taken with the idea of Dany as a villain. I never saw it in the books. I could see it in the show now.

- Despite what some of my posts in these episode threads may have indicated, I'm actually quite forgiving of adaptations making significant adjustments to characters, if it yields something good. Aragorn's movie-only self-doubt was a great move, for example. But I can't get behind the changes made to Tormund Giantsbane. This show has enough sullen, brooding men in it; there was no need to render one of the most fun and colourful characters in the books as such a dullard.

- I'm also quite open to major plot changes. By all means, send Jon to Hardhome. But make sure that it makes sense. Why on Earth would the Wildlings believe Jon over Tormund that the ships are safe?

- Non-book readers won't know what's missing from the "kill the boy" speech, but they may pick up on the choppy nature of the dialogue. As a book reader, I wish we'd had Aemon's story behind that statement. Previous seasons may have leaned too far towards the "dramatic monologue" side of things, but in this instance, the show could have used more of that.

- Wasn't a fan of Brienne's chapters in the books, but compared to her storyline, those seem an exciting romp. Good God, does her story here bore me!

- "The North is ours. You will help me defeat Stannis." "Of course." No sh*t, Sherlock.

- "I'm trying to find how to fight the Walkers." Again, no sh*t. And I believe we've seen this scene before, last season. This kind of moment isn't dramatic if it's been done before, or if, like the note above, it's so obvious that on-the-nose dialogue only makes me want to grind my teeth.

- "You ignore your counselors when you see a better way." First of all - when? Second - if Dany's going to see a better way, fine, but show her find it. She just went from "I hate the fighting pits" to "I'll open them, and by the way, you have to marry me" with no transition.

- Related to that note above - "you have as much right as anyone." Really? Does Missandai have any experience or training in politics, governance, or diplomatic negotiation?

- Another Mis/Worm scene, another minute I'm left thinking: you won't shortchange Arya to make room for characters from the book, but you'll shortchange Bran Stark for sh*t like this?

- I suppose greyscale was built up in the books, but I'm afraid I take no real interest in it. The scene travelling through the ruins was nice, though.

-And one more thing, why wouldn't Sansa know who the Kennelmasters daughter is? These people grew up together. All the Winterfell kids knew Farlan (see D&D, I actually pay attention to who these characters you use as throwaways are!), they'd know this daughter of his.

There is a special thread for never-ending puling and this isn't it. But as this particular point has been mentioned by others, I'll address it.

Myranda is the Kennelmaster's daughter. The Kennelmaster at the Dreadfort. There is no reason at all for her and Sansa to have met, let alone to have grown up together.

Tyrion wasn't touched by the stone men but uh, didn't they grab his leg and pull him further underwater??

He was grabbed but presumably protected by his leggings/trousers/boots whereas Jorah was touched on his bare wrist.

Why do people get so hung up on dumb shit? This is what makes me crazy about this board at times.

I haven't the slightest. What I want to know is if some of these people are as smart as they think they are then why can't they seem to figure out where the proper thread for endless whining is located?

To start with, the apparent change in standard Westerosi vocabulary so that everyone says 'nuncle.'

Could be worse. Every piece of metalwork in existence could have suddenly become festooned with niello.

Edited by Bonesy

- Related to that note above - "you have as much right as anyone." Really? Does Missandai have any experience or training in politics, governance, or diplomatic negotiation?

No, but what experience do the other councilors have? The only ones with a bit of aptitude where Jorah (former ruler of Bear Island and one of the more well-travelled characters in the series), who she exiled, and Hizhar, who's likely an enemy.

Who are her other councillors? Grey Worm, an hoplite captain? Barristan, who's a knight, not a ruler? Daario, who's a sellsword who killed his fellow captains? That former slave she had Karstarked eaerlier in the season?

IMHO, it's not that Missandei is capable - all she does is to suck up to her - is that her council sucks.

Edited by Pies are coming

Not sure if this counts for you, but Tyrion said it right after the Red Wedding, or some variation. I created a lot of furor on this board.