[Poll] How would you rate episode 505

Ran

How would you rate episode 505?  

558 members have voted

1. 1. What's your rating from 1-10, with 10 being the highest/best

The Boltons have that nice touching moment between two socipaths. Mormont gets greyscale because? Stannis is taking his wife and child to battle, because the watch is dangerous. Aside from the fact he wants to adopt Jon and likes Sam. Jon is going to Hardhome because he needs another fight scene, and has yet to do anything he did in Dance, save for cutting a persons head off. Dany is now feeding people to her dragons because? Shocking. And then 5 minutes later it's like it didn't happen. Selmy is dead and Jorah is basically dead, and Tyrion is so grey because he is an alcholic.

It''s not even an adaptation, I would give it a zero as an adaptation. Tyrion and Jorah are doing poetry together, how sweet. Sansa made a dress, the guys are clearly getting the better dialogue and screen time, Sansa said almost nothing. It's not even the Sansa/Theon POV's, it's the Boltons and all about the Boltons. Of course it also clearly looks like Olly will sstab Jon because he is just a kid and doesn't know any better. It's not that Jon has made mistakes, it's olly iss angry about his parents. At least Sam was looking up stuff on the White Walkers, not sure why Jon is not part of that convversation.

I thought the wall was the best part and was carried by Stannis. Oh and the Missy Grey Worm scene, right kill off Selmy and now Jorah too but make sure that crap is on screen. Tyrion is clearly filling in for Aegon and it was good to see Drogon flying around the watery lush Valyria, really looks like a lot of fire and burning went on their. And they literally talked about the fire and burning and smoking see while they were there. Apperantly the smoking see is light fog on a warm river.

4 and that is as generous as I can get. It would be nice if they kept some stuff from the books this year outside of names. Though they don't always keep the names or get them right. You know of all of it at least Jon has an excuse for being more competient on the show, but there is basically zero Grey, he is the Tyrion of the north. he is older and has done more and experienced more, but god damn he does not feel like he is facing a single dilemma. I am not sure why HBO was trying to pressure Martin into finishing Winds quickly, they are not even using Dance.

I gave it an 8, with my average being a 5. The previous 2 episodes got a 6 from me, but I think this episode was far less boring and we are starting to see much more movement in the plot, or at least the potential for things really starting to heat up in the last half of the season. No Arya this time which was slightly disappointing, but I figured this episode would focus more on Jon and Stannis because of the title. I like how Jon is starting to become his own man, but that may eventually lead to Stannis having to "get out of his way" if his star burns any brighter.

I also liked the parallels between Ramsay's scene with his father this episode, and Shireen and Stannis last episode. Where the usually practical and stone-faced Stannis showed a genuine love for his daughter, Bolton's scene with Ramsay was very cold and helped to highlight that both men were uncaring bastards.

The Boltons have that nice touching moment between two socipaths. Mormont gets greyscale because? Stannis is taking his wife and child to battle, because the watch is dangerous. Aside from the fact he wants to adopt Jon and likes Sam. Jon is going to Hardhome because he needs another fight scene, and has yet to do anything he did in Dance, save for cutting a persons head off. Dany is now feeding people to her dragons because? Shocking. And then 5 minutes later it's like it didn't happen. Selmy is dead and Jorah is basically dead, and Tyrion is so grey because he is an alcholic.

It''s not even an adaptation, I would give it a zero as an adaptation. Tyrion and Jorah are doing poetry together, how sweet. Sansa made a dress, the guys are clearly getting the better dialogue and screen time, Sansa said almost nothing. It's not even the Sansa/Theon POV's, it's the Boltons and all about the Boltons. Of course it also clearly looks like Olly will sstab Jon because he is just a kid and doesn't know any better. It's not that Jon has made mistakes, it's olly iss angry about his parents. At least Sam was looking up stuff on the White Walkers, not sure why Jon is not part of that convversation.

I thought the wall was the best part and was carried by Stannis. Oh and the Missy Grey Worm scene, right kill off Selmy and now Jorah too but make sure that crap is on screen. Tyrion is clearly filling in for Aegon and it was good to see Drogon flying around the watery lush Valyria, really looks like a lot of fire and burning went on their. And they literally talked about the fire and burning and smoking see while they were there. Apperantly the smoking see is light fog on a warm river.

4 and that is as generous as I can get. It would be nice if they kept some stuff from the books this year outside of names. Though they don't always keep the names or get them right. You know of all of it at least Jon has an excuse for being more competient on the show, but there is basically zero Grey, he is the Tyrion of the north. he is older and has done more and experienced more, but god damn he does not feel like he is facing a single dilemma. I am not sure why HBO was trying to pressure Martin into finishing Winds quickly, they are not even using Dance.

:agree:

I think this is the strongest episode of the season so far... in one word "Continuity".. just really strong story progression.. I felt the drama without a bunch of shock jock tactics... spending extended time in one region really gave the feeling of the story finally making a move forward...

Ahh I don't even know how to rate the episodes anymore honestly. I haven't rated it yet so I'll try to do some tallying here.

Good:

- So much is different I really have no idea how some of the story lines are going to play out.

- Greyworm is alive

- Tyrion, Jorah, Valyria, & Drogon - Jorah merging with Jon-Con is a nice touch, I liked Jorah finishing Tyrion's speech, Tyrion seeing Drogon was great & Valyria looked amazing. The Stone Men fight was decent also.

-Jon Snow! - Kit is phenomenal this season. I love every exchange between him & Stannis. Tormund & Jon standing eye to eye after Jon called him a coward was great. Jon & Aemon were decent but not my favorite scene.

-Davos & Shireen - who doesn't love Davos & Shireen?

-Roose & Ramsay - the story about Ramsay's mother was good. Ramsay is such a nut. I enjoyed the glimpse of Walda also.

Not sure about:

- Selyse, Shireen, & Mel going south with the guys? Strange choice. I can't see Stannis ever doing that. Maybe Mel with her whole speech about what happened last time but his wife & child? No way. We will see how it goes.

-Dany feeding the noblemen to her Dragons. I just don't know. It didn't get her anywhere. No one spilled the beans on the SoH, hell no one even asked them questions so what was the point?

Didn't like:

-Barristan is dead. Pisses me off. No who will lead the battle? Jorah grey-scale Mormont? That's ok I guess. I'm just mad Barristan died.

- Dany deciding herself to marry Hizdahr?! Wth? Just because? Because that will unite mereen? Whatever

-Sansa - Sansa is smarter than to make her disdain for the Bolton's so apparent. Also she has come so far to just be back in the same basic predicament where she is humiliated for others enjoyment. I don't like it at all.

-No Arya again. Even though I haven't been particularly intrigued by tHoBaW she is still my favorite.

-Brienne & Pod - ehh.

So I guess all in all I liked more than I didn't. Still not sure what to rate though.

Ahh I don't even know how to rate the episodes anymore honestly. I haven't rated it yet so I'll try to do some tallying here.

Good:

- So much is different I really have no idea how some of the story lines are going to play out.

- Greyworm is alive

- Tyrion, Jorah, Valyria, & Drogon - Jorah merging with Jon-Con is a nice touch, I liked Jorah finishing Tyrion's speech, Tyrion seeing Drogon was great & Valyria looked amazing. The Stone Men fight was decent also.

-Jon Snow! - Kit is phenomenal this season. I love every exchange between him & Stannis. Tormund & Jon standing eye to eye after Jon called him a coward was great. Jon & Aemon were decent but not my favorite scene.

-Roose & Ramsay - the story about Ramsay's mother was good. Ramsay is such a nut. I enjoyed the glimpse of Walda also.

Not sure about:

- Selyse, Shireen, & Mel going south with the guys? Strange choice. I can't see Stannis ever doing that. Maybe Mel with her whole speech about what happened last time but his wife & child? No way. We will see how it goes.

-Dany feeding the noblemen to her Dragons. I just don't know. It didn't get her anywhere. No one spilled the beans on the SoH, hell no one even asked them questions so what was the point?

Didn't like:

-Barristan is dead. Pisses me off. No who will lead the battle? Jorah grey-scale Mormont? That's ok I guess. I'm just mad Barristan died.

- Dany deciding herself to marry Hizdahr?! Wth? Just because? Because that will unite mereen? Whatever

-Sansa - Sansa is smarter than to make her disdain for the Bolton's so apparent. Also she has come so far to just be back in the same basic predicament where she is humiliated for others enjoyment. I don't like it at all.

-No Arya again. Even though I haven't been particularly intrigued by tHoBaW she is still my favorite.

-Brienne & Pod - ehh.

So I guess all in all I liked more than I didn't. Still not sure what to rate though.

:agree: Well said.

Good:

- Greyworm is alive

Not sure about:

Didn't like:

-Brienne & Pod - ehh.

Sansa will never be a player. Its clear in the books now it is crystal clear in the show. Her death is foreshadowed sonce her walk in the crypts. Myranda played her for gods sakes. She will light that tower fire and probably die there. Dogs, flaying or they may even burn it down knowing ramsay with Sansa in it. Her stairing at the tower and the flash back to burned millers kids. Guatanteed

8/10

Loved most of the episode, particularly for the Sansa dinner scene, "kill the boy," and the ending. Though, about that ending, am I the only one mad about the fact that Tyrion and Jorah just SAILED THROUGH VALYRIA?! Yeah, they got attacked, but they survived, and consequently SAILED THROUGH VALYRIA. Sorry, but one does not just sail through Valyria. In a skiff, no less. I get why it was done, but the reader in me dies a little.

[lazily copied from Reddit because who cares]

"Boring" is probably going to be the most common baseless criticism thrown at this episode (which is funny since those detractors are probably the same people who ramble about the show's preoccupation with action and T&A), but I liked it plenty. The dialogue was strong (albeit somewhat one-noted) and it felt like each scene, aside from maybe GW/M, was substantial enough to hold my interests. As convoluted as the subplot is, Winterfell's storyline is getting so wonderfully awkward, bizarre and creepy that it's honestly the only part of the show where I lack a concrete prediction of what could happen next. I was worried that reading the books would leave me disinterested in a lot of this season but the Boltons have me wondering exactly who'll be offed first.
There were some hiccups; Brienne's exchange with the room-keeper was strange and not really in an intriguing; I was kinda shrugging my shoulders, wondering "What's the point behind behind this?" because I couldn't make heads-or-tails of Briene's intentions or even possible intentions. The stonemen scene was also little clumsy; not as cheesy as it could have been (probably since the camerawork and editing was so erratic that I could barely comprehend what was happening) but the idea of Tyrion and Jorah magically brushing ashore is - even by fantasy standards - a little difficult to believe.
Still, I'm leaning towards a solid 7/10, but a rewatch might be in order.

There were some hiccups; Brienne's exchange with the room-keeper was strange and not really in an intriguing; I was kinda shrugging my shoulders, wondering "What's the point behind behind this?" because I couldn't make heads-or-tails of Briene's intentions or even possible intentions.e.

As it stands, she's basically on the outside of Winterfell looking in. The exchange with the servant was an attempt to find someone loyal to the Starks who might either be able to get her inside or, at the very least, get a message to Sansa.

9/10. Overall I'm still reeling from the WTF of certain parts, so on pure entertainment value.... but there were a lot of things I liked, regardless. Took off a point for Chekov's Olly and the continuation of the GW/Missandei love saga (I felt myself not caring so much I left the physical world for a bit)

9/10

The first episode I really liked all season. Cogman's episode's have been some of my favorites, and he didn't disappoint in that regard. Someone mentioned earlier how it felt somewhat like, for the first time in the season, they were back in Westeros again -- and I felt the same way. Granted, it wasn't all perfect, but I was nowhere near as disappointed as I was in the first four episodes.

Overall, I felt the dialogue was strong, though lacking in detail in certain places (no mention of egg and Dany's spur of the moment choice to marry Hiz), and heavy-handed in others (dinner table scene and Stannis talking to Sam comes to mind). Also, I still don't care for the Misandei/Torgunado relationship one way or the other. And, honestly, Barristan's death is looking like it was just a lazy way to quickly move Dany's plot along, instead of, you know, relying on actual character building. But whatever.

Oh and Jorah gets greyscale. Intereting that, since it looks like who carries it isn't really important, though the end result of the infection is probably for the specific purpose of infecting a certain person.

Gave it an 8. It was solid overall, though there were a few problematic scenes. The Bolton Family dinner was probably the weak point in the episode for me. I wasn't crazy about Dany feeding the dragons either. I understand that Barristan's death is something different so she could arguably react differently. And I get that they need to be a bit more overt in showing Dany's transition toward embracing her dragon side. But it seemed to go a bit too far, and I don't think walking it back with a bizarre "Let's get married after I just made you shit yourself" was effective in showing her ongoing conflict. My impression of it was, why is Drogon cruising over Valyria when it seems his bae is right where he wants her to be.