The pace was so slow, I had to rewind several times -fell asleep

yes, it's a set up episode

Really dislike all the time wasters:

Grey worm romance

Myranda--why is she here? Book Ramsay would never have a relationship like this

Any scene with Olly

Stannis rides south with wife & daughter

Melisandre Def gave Jon an evil look for not joining the party going south

Gave it a 7. Definitely the weakest episode of the season imo. Liked the Wall and Valyria, that's about it. All the WF scenes were very meh. Didn't like Dany feeding people to her dragons (I think D&D are being influenced by this forum :P), the scene with Hizdahr was better. I won't object to GW+M because I would watch Nathalie Emmanuel paint a fence, but seriously, what's the point?

This one gets a 6. It left me flat for some reason. There were some great scenes: Theon and Ramsey, Winterfell dinner scene, Roose and Ramsey, Stannis and Sam, Jon and Olly, all the Jorah/Tyrion scenes.

There were also some really bad scenes: All of Meereen especially the Missandei/Grey Worm, Missandei/Dany scenes.

This ep had problems with pacing, with clunky foreshadowing, and with equally clunky acting on behalf of the actress playing Dany, especially when contrasted with what other actors (Iwan Rheon especially) managed to deliver this episode.

Yes, I'm afraid a rather generous 6 is the most I can give it.

Edited by Sun

I gave it a 9 and I definitely enjoyed this episode more than any other this season. My only complaints are the Myranda/Ramsay and Grey Worm/Missandei scenes, especially considering they seem pressed for time and there are a zillion other characters they can flesh out. Also, they didn't include Roose's "don't make me rue the day..." line. As for the Dany scene, she is fickle and unpredictable in the books and that's exactly what they are showing. And did anyone catch Aemon's line about how terrible it is to be the only Targ and Jon walks in? They are biginning to hit the viewers in the head with the whole Jon's heritage.

Edited by teej6

Giving it a 9. Loved all the cold northern coldness in this ep, I couldn't tear myself away for the first time since season 3. Meereen was even ok. Citadel/Oldtown shout! Show!Walda, such a doll! Jon, being manly and decisive! That pullback shot of Tyrion and Jorah on the coast, gorgeous. Very happy right now, especially compared to last week.

Gave it a 6 because some back story was in many of the screen conversations

The pace was so slow, I had to rewind several times -fell asleep

yes, it's a set up episode

Really dislike all the time wasters:

Grey worm romance

Myranda--why is she here? Book Ramsay would never have a relationship like this

Any scene with Olly

Stannis rides south with wife & daughter

Melisandre Def gave Jon an evil look for not joining the party going south

yeah i don't know anyone who will want to have a relationship with him (ramsay)

Edited by Brittany Nielsen

I found this episode to be such a mixed bag. Loved Dany and Bolton's whereas Brienne, Grey Worm and Missandei scenes were utter waste of time. Also the conversation between Aemon and Jon felt rushed which is a missed opportunity for a stellar scene.

I gave it a 7. It was decent but so many parts felt really boring; I kept looking at the clock wondering how time was moving so slow.

LIKED

--Tyrion seeing Drogon. AHHH. That was magnificent.

--"A Targaryen alone in the world. It's a terrible thing." *enter Jon Snow* I laughed. I love that D and D are starting to hint at RLJ more.

--I love Maester Aemon. "Kill the boy, Jon Snow....and let the man be born." Yaaaaas

--The conversation between Jon and Tormmund. Honestly, the Wall stuff has been pretty awesome this year, overall. Especially love watching Jon this year as the Lord Commander (and Kit has come a long ways, no?)

--The WF dinner scene was incredibly awkward to watch, but the kind that really draws you in because you keep thinking anything can happen. Also, very well acted from all involved.

--Shireen and Davos are so cute. It's such a shame she's probably going to be fed to the fire before long....

MIXED

--"I forgive you" I don't get it. I mean, is it supposed to be character development for Ramsey or is he toying with Reek? But the scene was very tense and well acted.

--Brienne got a plot that might be interesting! But, I might be one of the few people who actually really enjoys Brienne's travelogue in AFFC. And I miss that story.

--I'm glad D and D are sticking with Dany marrying Hizzy from the books, but come on! That's not how it goes down at all. What about Hizzy going out and promising no deaths for X number of days and Dany coming to the desperate conclusion that she must marry him for the good of the city. Right now she has the upper hand having just scared the shit out of the Slavers with her Dragon Display.

--Valyria! Valyria!! We got to see Valyria! (why isn't it glowing red and on fire!?) However I did love Tyrion and Jorah's speech about the Doom. Glad to get some ancient history.

DISLIKED

--Jorah got Greyscale. Okay. Well. I'll be over here. In my corner of sad. (no for the love of god, WHY?! Oh because we don't have JonCon, right??!) I....am not happy.

--Dany feeding the Slavers to the dragons. She has a dragons wrath in the books but she's also trying to compromises. I'm not sure what is going on in Meereen right now. Also, where is the Green Grace? Are they really leaving her out?

--I'm convinced that Sansa Stark only has one dress

--Really don't care about Ramsey and Miranda and could do without the "I'm jealous scenes!"

--I care about Missendei. I care about Grey Worm. I do not care about this rather forced romance between the two.

8/10. Really good but not all-time great. Superb acting throughout, some really gorgeous cinematography, and each storyline that was shown had a lot of time to breathe. My unsullied friend who is usually a tough critic said he thought it was one of the 4 or 5 best episodes ever.

All the stuff in Dany's storyline felt abrupt (so she's brutally executing people seemingly at random now? She's getting married without so much as one previous suggestion of it?), but everything else was pretty sweet. I'm personally excited as hell to see what comes of the Winterfell and Castle Black stories this season. Between "The North Remembers" lady and the guy that Brienne was talking to about the Starks, I'm expecting some seriously awesome Northern vengeance this season.

--Jorah got Greyscale. Okay. Well. I'll be over here. In my corner of sad. (no for the love of god, WHY?! Oh because we don't have JonCon, right??!) I....am not happy.

I thought of you after that reveal. :(

Seriously, the week after we lose Barristan, you give Jorah greyscale? Dany isn't going to have anyone left.

Jorah has the sudden onset type of greyscale

Dany knows how to entertain her guests when she plays guess who is coming to dinner with her dragons

Wish we still had the 'like' buttons to click. Love your sense of humor, and agree.

I gave it a clear 10, I guess one of the few people who did, but I thought it perhaps the best episode for all of Season 4 and Season 5 this far.

Loved the Bolton dinner scene, especially Fat Walda's expressions. I think she's my new favorite person.

I continue to be in awe of Allen Alfie's acting.

Thought Valyria was sort of magical in it's spookiness. Would love to see what it was like in its day.

Tyrion was in top shape this episode. "Long, sullen silences. An occasional punch in the face. The Mormont way."

Loved all the Wall scenes, especially Jon's with Maester Aemon, Sam's with Stannis, and Stannis's "Fewer" at the Night's watch meeting. Not to be forgotten: Selyse, probably one of the scariest moms ever, telling Davos to get away from Shireen because he's scaring her with talk of a battle.

Jorah has the sudden onset type of greyscale

Dany knows how to entertain her guests when she plays guess who is coming to dinner with her dragons

Wish we still had the 'like' buttons to click. Love your sense of humor, and agree.

I gave it a clear 10, I guess one of the few people who did, but I thought it perhaps the best episode for all of Season 4 and Season 5 this far.

Loved the Bolton dinner scene, especially Fat Walda's expressions. I think she's my new favorite person.

I continue to be in awe of Allen Alfie's acting.

Thought Valyria was sort of magical in it's spookiness. Would love to see what it was like in its day.

Tyrion was in top shape this episode. "Long, sullen silences. An occasional punch in the face. The Mormont way."

Loved all the Wall scenes, especially Jon's with Maester Aemon, Sam's with Stannis, and Stannis's "Fewer" at the Night's watch meeting. Not to be forgotten: Selyse, probably one of the scariest moms ever, telling Davos to get away from Shireen because he's scaring her with talk of a battle.

Ramsay was very entertaining - am hyped for Bolton's vs Stannis in a way the books never made me.

Also, loved the scene with Dany feeding people to her dragons, even if the CG human body looked shoddy.

But man, it is so different to the books now - they have totally diverged.